Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 06:31:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLate Night Shift - Arcade Platformer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Late Night Shift - Arcade Platformer!  (Read 2835 times)
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:22:29 AM »

<Online Highscores>

Fred is an everyday severed zombie head, that has the ability to spontaneously roll. Unfortunately, he spent so much effort on rolling, that he can't jump anymore! Well, luckily he has you! Help Fred get to his graves in various levels with all types of crazy obstacles. If you manage to beat the game, you can unlock SPEED RUN, where you play through all the levels as fast as possible, and submit your scores online!

Made for the Game Jolt Minimal Competition.

Still don't want to play? Well then let this convince you!

Download

Game Jolt: Download

Credits

brod - Programming and Graphics
Heatex - Theme Music
Broxter - Help with Online Highscores
TheBerryster- Sound Effects
Awoken Entertainment - Help with level design

I'd really like some thoughts about the game, so please don't just play without commenting, tell me what you think after!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:47:31 PM by brod » Logged

MaloEspada
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:38:42 PM »

Really polished game, I enjoyed it a lot.
Too short, though. Nice graphics and gameplay. It was really smooth.

But I did get a bug: "drawing to draw non-existing sprite" everytime I got to a new level (it started appearing in level 6 onwards).

Congratulations and thanks for making it.
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 05:52:44 PM »

Really polished game, I enjoyed it a lot.
Too short, though. Nice graphics and gameplay. It was really smooth.

But I did get a bug: "drawing to draw non-existing sprite" everytime I got to a new level (it started appearing in level 6 onwards).

Congratulations and thanks for making it.
Aw man, can you paste the error? I don't ever get that >_<
I'm really glad you like it, and thanks for the praise  Beer!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:01:20 PM by brod » Logged

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »

Hmmm download link on game cog doesn't seem to be working.  I wasn't really sure what that plug-in was over on yoyogames so I didn't really wanna go that route if there was a download option available.  Wanna check this out though!

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 07:51:40 PM »

Should be fixed, sorry about that >_<

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »

Should be fixed, sorry about that >_<

OK cool that worked now!

Yeah so I tried this out and had a pretty good time.  Some fun elements going on in this but I also have a few misgivings about certain things that I'm still thinking about:

I couldn't decide if the "collect brain bits but don't collect too many" was clever or annoying... Wink  As I thought about it while playing I think largely my frustration as a player with that mechanic came from the fact of 1) having no upper bound indicator besides the color and size but no "0/8" etc and 2) having no idea how many brain bits I might expect waiting for me down any particular path without using a lot of restarting.  Now I guess if a player is cool with the level restarts maybe it isn't too big a deal but it just seemed to be a little cruel and frustrating.  It turns out it did stay just under my quit frustration level since I finished the game though I may have bailed if the game had gone longer than 10 rounds. 

Are you going to add sound or music?

It is annoying to not be able to instant-clear the tutorial messages once you've seen them a lot.  A few I saw 10+ times as I kept dieing right afterwards.  That might be a nice touch or just clear them once you know the player has seen them once to not break up the flow so bad.

I like the art and the level design in general.  The gravity shift mechanic though fun to watch and implemented well seemed a little short in the level design department.  What I mean is those last couple gravity levels more or less 'self-solve' in a way.  They were more relaxing though then prior levels so maybe that is a blessing... Wink

I really like the little popping up tombstone on level clear.  That is a fun touch.

Is speed run mode where I can finally eat up all the brain bits like I wanted to all along!!?  Wink  Too tired to try that right now but maybe later on.

All in all I did enjoy this game!

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »

Speed Run mode you can eat up as may brain bits as you'd like, but if you do you collect them Fred slows down, ruining your chances at a high score. Tongue

I was going to add music/sound, but I just couldn't find any, and the one I did have made for the game produces an error. Shrug

I uploaded the final, FINAL version with many suggestion fixes. (Including bigger screen size, textbox doesn't repeat, and other of my own nit picks)

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 07:08:09 AM »

I don't really like bumping but um, hello? Any replies?  Concerned

Cokho
Level 3

I love anyone who read this !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »

I'ev just played it! Pretty fun! But I agree HybridMind on the point that you should make 0/smthing for the brain bits you're collecting, and reduce the self making level (actually kind of everyones since the gravity shows up). Oh and PLEASE! Make the spikes brighter! I got to remember where they were because I can't see them  Sad

Pardon my poor english T_T
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »

A new, major update has been released.

Updates include
- 20 levels
- GJ Achievements
- Music and SFX
- Improved Gameplay

Jonathan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »

Hilarious concept... rolling zombie heads that can't jump... too awesome.

I liked the simple graphics, the color scheme is easy on my eyes and the protagonist is cute.  The game was very short, but I'm assuming that's because you it was made for a contest so I can understand that.  Despite being short, it felt very polished and the gameplay was enjoyable. 

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 03:32:57 PM »

Thanks! To (hopefully) boost replies, I made a trailer for the game. You can find it

deathtotheweird
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »

Oh, this game is great! Really fun. I really disliked how often it asked me "do you want to.."  though. Really liked the graphics, kinda reminded me of a zombie non-bouncy within a deep forest style.
BinaryMind
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »

Agree with everyone here: this is a polished, fun game. Certainly a good use of ten minutes of my time. Smiley

Other than what's already been addressed I found level 9 to be a freebie. Only two jumps at the beginning and then it's smooth sailing. Was it intentionally that easy? Also, since there's not gonna be any music or sound you might want to remove music and sound effects from the credits; I thought my browser was messing up.
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 06:44:12 AM »

Thanks for playing! But.. there is music and sound(now there is, anyway). o.o
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:48:28 AM by brod » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic