Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 07:20:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingProtect My Planet! V0.8
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Protect My Planet! V0.8  (Read 1253 times)
Chaotic Heart
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:59:04 PM »

Greetings, everyone

About a week ago, I started working on a small side-project to alleviate some of the mental strain from a main project I am working on. It had a simple game mechanic, but I started noticing it was actually rather fun... at least to me. I decided to take it from a a simple WIP idea to a full game.

Right now, I am at V0.8. It still has no sound, and needs some polish in certain places... like the GUI and difficulty.

I am posting this up so I can get some feed-back on what everyone else thinks still needs work. I am specifically looking for spots that do not look as "professional" as they could; places where the game-play falls apart; and areas where the difficulty might ramp up a bit too much.

Anything else you can think to criticize is definitely welcome. I am specifically looking for "problem" areas. With that said, though, any praise you want to throw out there is always welcome. My ego is definitely not above stroking.

You will need the Unity Web-player plugin to play it, but after that you can play it right in your browser without having to download anything else. You can get the web-player plugin here: http://unity3d.com/webplayer/

Once you have it, you can play the game here: www.ChaoticHeartStudios.com/ProtectMyPlanetV0.8

A few images to let you see what the game-play looks like:

Thank you, ahead of time. Much appreciated.
Mr. Thunder_Tw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:59:32 AM »

Nice game, looks good, but realy needs balancing imo.

The small, very fast, brown meteors are too hard.
They are simply too small or too fast to click on.
It ruined the experience and made me quit while in level 3 multiple times.

At the same level those huge(planet size?) meteors go too slow,
they're no threat becauze you see them coming and have 5 minutes to destroy them, by clicking only 2 times?

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:05:55 PM »

I played up to Level 10. It's kinda fun. Very pretty at least. Not original, but hey, that's okay :D

Some kind of projectile or lazorbeem graphic would be nice to track where you clicked.

Like Mr.Thunder_Tw said, the small fast brown ones are nearly impossible to click on. I managed to get three of them altogether I think, by virtue of clicking the button fast as I could along where they were to appear. I think it's even harder because they take more than one click to turn into a pretty explosion - or if they shouldn't, there's something wrong with the hit code.

Swarms of the very first medium sized meteor were great. I also liked the molten ones that spit little meteors - and having planetary gravity effect those was really nifty. In fact, I think that was my favourite part, watching them slide into orbits and having to hit 'em as they swing by, since they're inevitably going to ram into the planet. Unlike the brown ones, they weren't moving too fast to click on either.

There didn't seem to be a point to the planet killer. It was a big slow moving target and I just had to hammer my mouse button until it went away.I can see how that could get tricky if there's a swarm of lesser meteors coming in, but. Hrm.

The special charged wayyy too slowly. I played ten levels and only used it once - I could've used it a second time by the time I stopped, and probably if I micromanaged I think I could've got it three times, though I wouldn't have used it when I needed it.

I liked the sustained population throughout the levels.

The clouds looked a bit too, hrm, solid and slick. Like clumps of rubber floating around the planet.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Chaotic Heart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:27:06 PM »

Finally got some free time to work on this WIP side-project. Bumping the thread to post up the link to the updated webplayer version.

Took into consideration a few of the suggestions on here. Attempted to balance out the meteor spawning, made the smaller brown ones a bit slower and a bit larger, etc.

Also, added sound, true win/loss logic, collectable extras, some risk/reward mechanics, and a lot of other behind-the-scenes polish.

It is still not finished, so any and all feedback is extremely appreciated; even negative.

HERE IS THE LINK: http://www.chaoticheartstudios.com/ProtectMyPlanetV0.9

I hope you enjoy.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic