Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 04:22:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlast It! [VR Puzzle Physics Game]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blast It! [VR Puzzle Physics Game]  (Read 574 times)
Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2016, 06:56:11 PM »

Blast It! is a VR puzzle physics game for the HTC Vive (and hopefully others in the future!) in which you use bombs and other various objects to knock point blocks to the ground in various different puzzling levels.  There are many different level types, including knocking, bowling, and destruction levels.

This game started its life as a 1-month challenge to create a VR game utilizing a bomb system I created for another game.  In that month of working part time, I've completed the prototype (linked above) and fleshed it out to be fully playable.  My goal with the prototype is to get more feedback from others to help me shape the game.

I've done most of the game's development while streaming it live on my Twitch channel, which has helped immensely with shaping ideas.  With time, I'd like to create new objects and mechanics for the player to interact with to shape creative levels.  I'd also like to create an in-game level editor to allow players to express their creativity and with others!

Down the line, I'm also interested in creating PvP modes where players can compete in various physics challenges 1 on 1.  These challenges would range from destroying an enemy player's fort, or literally demolishing the ground the stand on.  I'm interested in hearing from anyone who tries my game, so please let me know what you think of the prototype!  Specifically, I'm interested in which levels you liked the most, and which ones you liked the least.  I've got more updates planned along the way, but in the meantime, I look forward to hearing from you!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:07:04 PM by Highsight » Logged

Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »

I've been doing a lot of playtesting with friends and family over the holidays, producing a ton of great feedback!  The greatest feedback I've received so far is that nearly everyone who tries the game for the first time tries to use the Triggers to grab items.  I personally always enjoyed using the grips more, as it feels more natural, but this made me realize I need to leave that decision to the player.  I'd advise everyone who is working on a VR game please consider your control scheme very carefully!  What feels natural to you, may not feel natural to everyone, so it's important to create options wherever possible.

I haven't had much to show in the way of development during this time, but I did find some time to cut a video of my first playthrough of it.  I've found that with a video, people have responded a lot better to seeing the game for the first time, even though it's uncut.  I had the privilege of watching someone see my game page for the first time live on Twitch, and their first reaction was "This is all they're giving me?".  That was a real eye opener.  I've never been great at advertising, and I didn't plan on investing much into the prototype, but this experiment has taught me just how much stock people put into first impressions, even of prototypes.

Here's the video if you'd like to check it out!

If you give the prototype a shot, let me know your experiences!  I'm dying for more feedback, as I plan to ramp up work on it starting in January.  Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic