Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411545 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 05:06:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTo become an indie game developer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: To become an indie game developer  (Read 5654 times)
mohammedderhalli
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »

Hello

Correct me if I am wrong.

To become an indie game developer, you need to know the followig:
1. Theoritical knowledge of game world
2. Writing techniques
3. A modelling tool
4. A painting and drawing tool
5. A game engine
6. Playning of a musical instrument

But this take many years to master before trying to develop your game.

Do you agree?
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 08:40:38 AM »

You don't have to do it solo, you know. konjak and Pixel may do it, but TaleWorlds and Introversion have more than five staff members each. Wink
Gnarf
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 08:56:31 AM »

What do you mean?

2. Writing techniques

Wrong.

3. A modelling tool

Wrong.

Wrong.

5. A game engine

I'd say not right. But depends on what you mean.

Wrong.

Some of points 2-4, and possibly 6, might be required given a certain type of game. Though as Kao said, it won't necessarily be required for all developers involved unless it's a one-man project.

Do you agree?

Probably. Trying to make a game might be a good start though. You'd be learning stuff. And getting a feel for what it is you need to learn.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »

You can make a working game with as little as a copy of GameMaker, sfxr for sound effects, and whatever random tracking program for music (or Musagi, from the same guy as sfxr).

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
genericuser
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »

Hello

2. Writing techniques
3. A modelling tool
5. A game engine

Do you agree?

While having all 7 is very handy to make an indie game, 1 and 5 are the only ones strictly needed.

Essential. If you don't know exactly how the game is going to be, you'll quickly run into problems.

2. Writing techniques

This will come in handy, however, you don't need that much plot in game, unless you're creating an adventure/RPG game.

3. A modelling tool

This is only needed for 3D games; a lot of indie games are in 2D. And if you want to make a full 3D game, you should probably get a modeler to do it for you, since you most likely have to get other people in the project anyway. Making full 3D games isn't as easy as doing it in 2D.

If you plan to sell the game you're making, having good 2D art is important. With some effort, though, you should be able to make somewhat decent art. Again, you might want to have another person to do this.

5. A game engine

This is really important. If you don't have the engine, your game won't be anything more than an idea. While some ideas are really great, there are a lot of ideas out there. To set your idea apart from the rest, you'll have to give people an idea of what it's going to be like. If you have a prototype of your game, you'll find it much easier to get artists/modelers for your projects.

Music in the game is nice, but I wouldn't say that it's required to make a game. In fact, not doing it might benefit the game overall. Having an artist is probably the best option here, since they most likely have a good idea of what the music should be like.

7. A lot of time on perfecting skills

If you plan to sell the game, this is right. But if you're making it for fun, it isn't. Just look at competitions like Ludum Dare, where the entrants create games in 48 hours.

Do I agree?

Yes or no, depending on the scale of the project you're doing, but mostly no.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 09:30:11 AM »

to be an indie developer means that you develop games without working for a company, or being company funded to create a game. Sure, a few indie games make it on to consoles, like World of Goo for example, but they were developed without support of that company. etc.

Code a 10 minute pong clone, pow, you're an indie developer. =P

You can do as much as you want solo, or you can collab with people, it doesn't matter. It's still an indie project.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 09:44:34 AM »

Everything helps, but nothing is essential. But it *is* true that the best indie game developers are skilled in multiple areas, and that those skills take a long time to develop. I'd say at least a decade of practice, and often more, is required before you will have the skills required to make a highly polished game (like Cave Story) alone, where you alone do the graphics, programming, music, sound effects, game design, level design, balancing, and all that.

But you don't have to do it alone. I'd say a team size of two to five is usually best, because that way you keep the feeling of a small team but have enough specialization to tackle a large project. And a good way to gather a team is to get to know other people who make games, offer to assist them with their games, like an apprenticeship, and you'll learn a lot from more experienced developers.

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 01:56:21 PM »

You need:

1) ideas
2) the ability to code

Except that the need for 2 can be diminished by using a tool like Game Maker and the need for 1 can be eliminated by copying other people (often done, but I don't recommend it).  2 can be eliminated entirely if you can find someone else to program for you, but you'll need to have some other talent yourself to make it worthwhile for them.

If you want to learn any of the other things you've mentioned (which, as others have said, are not essential to make a game anyway), one of the best ways to do so is to already have a half-finished game that you want to use them for.  This can be a great motivator, it gives more direction than just practising things up to hopefully use one day.  It's also the best way to learn to program, so really if you want to make a game then just go ahead jump in blindly trying to make it.  You might fail on your first couple of attempts, but it'll be fun and you'll get somewhere before long.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »

There are plenty of music that are free or under Creative commons license that can be readily used in your games.

Saker
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 02:33:52 PM »

I believe that the best way to learn and gain experience is by practicing not by just reading some books and "totoreals" :D , besides what everybody here said , if you know your goals you should also know your needs/method ,and i think that's what you are asking for , but as i said that depends on your goals ,also being a super awesome pixel-like indie game developer isn't a goal Wink , you should start with something simple and easy to make , make clones as the holy-powergloved andy said , also being able to critique games and reviewing them is quite important if u want to be a good game designer , reading and practicing are the best way to be anything you want , also finding tools isn't a big deal you can find 'em everywhere Huh? the deal is how to master 'em and that's depends on you and your well ,  

also : lol , finally .. another arab Smiley , i see, you live in jordan and from ahl-el-bait @_@ WOW ,
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 05:09:26 PM »

Hello

2. Writing techniques
3. A modelling tool
5. A game engine

Do you agree?
YES my friend, but to be an indie game developer, you also need to have a correct diet that will not make you too heavy but still provide the essential nutriments for the brain. I.e. strict macrobiotic diet is required to attain the higher levels.
Then you also need to fend off all the little inconveniences brought by mundane people and possibly defend your life in case of an invasion by the shogunate armies. Most experienced game devellopers are very proficient at northern style crane kung-fu.

I don't need to tell you how a fulfilling sex life is essential to a balanced human being, you must absolutely master at least the first threee books of the kama sutra (new delhi edition).

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Gnarf
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »

Tiger style. Surely.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »

To become an indie game developer you must crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »

Moi's pontifications have one fatal flaw that betray him: His endorsement of a single publisher! His guise as a hapless internet addict is burned and shot by the bullets of truth! Moi is an obvious spy, and no indie game developer, who is trying to 'get off' with our money. I wouldn't be surprised if he worked directly for Delhi, his level of treachery that high! Cutting even modest guerrilla advertising agencies out of the loop of his dirty, stolen money.

We're onto you and your kama sutra endorsement pro-killer hiring auto-cunnilingus Moi. Lips Sealed

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
The-Imp
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »

To become an indie game developer you must crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
:D

And you must play Cave Story.
NOW.

If you don't TIGsource shall come to your house, and kill you.
THEN eat your computer, and moniter.
with gravy.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 05:37:11 PM »

You can make a working game with as little as a copy of GameMaker, sfxr for sound effects, and whatever random tracking program for music (or Musagi, from the same guy as sfxr).

who needs music?
or sounds?
hell, you can make a game using only notepad and windows

The-Imp
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »

who needs music?
or sounds?
...?

I'm stupid.
Explain youself.
Gnarf
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 05:40:04 PM »

When I went to school, this one time during class, this guy made a game with some bottle caps. Bit of a curling rip-off, but indie as fuck.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 05:40:48 PM »

...?

I'm stupid.
Explain youself.

I guess he means making batch files?
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*