Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 12:14:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHealth problems related to gaming
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Health problems related to gaming  (Read 7875 times)
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:07:34 PM »

I couldn't find a good enough title for the thread, so deal with it.

And yeah, this is a  WTF topic, so beware.

I've heard of people having motion sickness while playing fps games, especially those with head bobbing, but I never had that.

The day before yesterday, I purchased Mirror's Edge. I was really looking forward to that game.

I finished it the same day. It surpassed all my expectations (except for its length), and I really really liked it.

However, after I finished it, after a while, I noticed the leftmost part of my lower lip started to twitch involuntarily.

It was hell, it titched so much I was gonna go nuts. I tried to  numbify the region by pressing ice on it, which made the twitching stop, but soon as the cold went away, it started twitching again. Iwas unable to sleep properly at night because the twitching was so damn annoying.

The next day it was gone, but my lip ached from exhaustion. I hadn't realized the connection with Mirror's Edge at first, so I ran the game with the intention of finishing it on Hard difficulty.

After playing for a bit, I felt like my lip was going to start twitching again, so I left the game, feeling sad because I really wanted to play it.

Now I'M afraid to play it for fear of the twitching.

So, fellow TIGers, what say you? Anyone ever had a similar problem? And was it just a coincidence that the twitching coincided with the game and I'm just being paranoid?

Yeah,  WTF and  :D all you want. :D

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:13:03 PM »

:D That is really, really weird.

The closest thing I have to that is that I got a minor blister on my right palm from playing Gitaroo Man. Presumably because I find Gitaroo Man so intense that I grip the controller harder than with any other game.

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:26:47 PM »

:D That is really, really weird.

The closest thing I have to that is that I got a minor blister on my right palm from playing Gitaroo Man. Presumably because I find Gitaroo Man so intense that I grip the controller harder than with any other game.

Yeah I get that with guitar hero.

Interestingly enough, I don't get that when I play the actual guitar :D

Same thing with GHWT drums vs. real drums :D

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »

I've been having problems with dizziness lately, which might be related to my constant computer use.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 10:30:55 PM »

I've been having problems with dizziness lately, which might be related to my constant computer use.

I'm totally immune to that, I can use the computer as much as I want and nothing happens.

DAMN YOU MIRROR'S EDGE! I WANT TO PLAY YOU DAMMIT!

That game is really really very good imho. Well considering my fave games are the PoP:SoT trilogy and portal, it's kinda obvious.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:36:20 AM »

My eyelid sometimes starts to twitch like mad when I'm doing something at the computer, although it happened when not gaming, too. And really rarely too, like only once a month. And I think sleep deprivation plays a role in it.

I know my stepfather gets dizzy from 3D shooters, but that's about the only problems I've ever seen with vidjagames. Never had epileptic seizures, never actually gave a damn about the "play for at most one hour before making a break" rule and am still pretty much healthy.

Of course, as many I've suffered from the Guitar Hero "Holy shit everything is still moving" disease.

You could just bite on your lower lip to keep it from twitching though. But I'd probably see a doctor and ask him about it. If he can't really explain it to you and blames it entirely on "them telegames" you should probably look for a second opinion, though.
Gr.Viper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:56:37 AM »

I'm getting too much workout with my gaming gear. Both arms work on joysticks, legs push rudder pedals, head wields TrackIR... In a couple of hours of intense dogfighting I get seriously overworked from playing Droop

Now in his mid-forties and still unusual Hubert had learnt many important things, when he was young... ...most importantly, that sanity is a compromise.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 02:04:58 AM »

My eyelid sometimes starts to twitch like mad when I'm doing something at the computer, although it happened when not gaming, too. And really rarely too, like only once a month. And I think sleep deprivation plays a role in it.

I know my stepfather gets dizzy from 3D shooters, but that's about the only problems I've ever seen with vidjagames. Never had epileptic seizures, never actually gave a damn about the "play for at most one hour before making a break" rule and am still pretty much healthy.

Of course, as many I've suffered from the Guitar Hero "Holy shit everything is still moving" disease.

You could just bite on your lower lip to keep it from twitching though. But I'd probably see a doctor and ask him about it. If he can't really explain it to you and blames it entirely on "them telegames" you should probably look for a second opinion, though.

Both my parents are doctors and that's basically what I got, sleep deprivation and gaming :D

Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:12:35 AM »

Both my parents are doctors and that's basically what I got, sleep deprivation and gaming :D

Haha, I too live in a family of doctors and naturopaths. The sad truth about this is that you can't get a serious diagnosis from any of them. If you're sick, it's either because you watch so much TV, play so much games, or haven't tidied your room. Or maybe because you really have to get your hair cut.
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:12:45 AM »

I'm totally immune to that, I can use the computer as much as I want and nothing happens.

Just wait 20 years ...

Per aspera ad astra
Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 02:27:38 AM »

However, after I finished it, after a while, I noticed the leftmost part of my lower lip started to twitch involuntarily.

Hey! The same thing happened in my pants when I started SiN Episodes Emergence  Droop fucking videogames  Lips Sealed
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 02:28:07 AM »

Haha, I too live in a family of doctors and naturopaths. The sad truth about this is that you can't get a serious diagnosis from any of them. If you're sick, it's either because you watch so much TV, play so much games, or haven't tidied your room. Or maybe because you really have to get your hair cut.

So true :D

Just wait 20 years ...

So true too :D

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:32:59 AM »

I've experienced motion sickness in... TimeSplitters 2 and Cube. It only occured the first few times I played. What causes that?
Kekskiller
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 02:35:18 AM »

Shooters with headbobbing are dangerous? Hm. I think it's more dangerous to believe your head isn't moving while shooting! That could be a real problem (especially in reallife situations where you have to shoot).

I have problems with Diablo and all derivations (and thats why I don't play such games anymore!). My fingers get knotted when playing, even on the title screen... Actually it has to do whith the over 8 years playing experience and the awesome Diablo2 soundtrack. It's really kickass and I get nervous when listening to it Crazy

Anyone here having psychic problems with games? I can't play Cavestory without getting in rage and/or destroying something. No idea why. It's the only game I know where it happens.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 02:39:42 AM »

Anyone here having psychic problems with games? I can't play Cavestory without getting in rage and/or destroying something. No idea why. It's the only game I know where it happens.

You mean psychological :D

Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 02:40:50 AM »

My brother goes into aggressive rages whenever he hears game music that I'd define as cute or relaxing.
Gr.Viper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 02:42:51 AM »

game music that I'd define as cute or relaxing.
8-bit?

Now in his mid-forties and still unusual Hubert had learnt many important things, when he was young... ...most importantly, that sanity is a compromise.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 02:46:32 AM »

I have a psychological reaction to WoW similar to what some people have to alcohol: I hate it, but somehow I end up playing.

Well, I quit it! (For the 3rd time :D )

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 02:47:13 AM »

When me and my friends got halo 3 we played it for so many days in a row. I am pretty sure I have never played videogames constantly for so long. The odd thing about it was that I got a headache that only appeared when I was not looking at the screen. So I had to keep playing.

Also, when playing YMM's an untitled story, I sometimes got into a state of psychological agony and rage. I think I cried a little blood at one point.
redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 03:22:14 AM »

I assume you mean the more frustrating parts, or do you smash stuff just playing the game in general?  Tongue

I smashed up a couple of keyboards playing battlefield 2 way back (fuck those damn badges). In retrospect i noted how silly that was, and now I'm totally zen whenever i play games. (I also tend to avoid competitive multiplayer games, unless it's a healthy game of DEFCON)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic