Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411541 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 02:37:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralEvangelize Indie Games
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Evangelize Indie Games  (Read 4975 times)
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 10:15:22 AM »

No! Don't make myspace pages! Or Facebook, or livejournal, or anything like that. Because like all current indie press coverage, the only people who will see such groups will be people already familiar with it. We need to send E-Mails to online game coverage sites like Destructoid and Kotaku, or even more "official" news sites, covering upcoming indie releases.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 07:49:53 PM »

or even more "official" news sites, covering upcoming indie releases.
Right idea, but we can't have any more fragmentation of the indie community.  If we really want to pull this thing forward, then there's got to be some "get it all here" sites, and with the blog and db, TIGS could be on the way to becoming that site.  So before we all go out and make new sites, I think we should think about expanding the scope of this one.
undertech
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »

Get Barack Obama hooked on your game. Or his wife. Or his daughters. Either way you win.
shig
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 05:45:31 AM »

Indie Brawl could help spreading the word about indie games a lot after it`s finished. We should include profiles for each character including their original games and links to the official sites and etc.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 09:07:33 AM »

we can't have any more fragmentation of the indie community.  If we really want to pull this thing forward, then there's got to be some "get it all here" sites, and with the blog and db, TIGS could be on the way to becoming that site.

Maybe someday. But TIGS has got to be more inclusive for it function properly as a "get it all here" site, IMO. Flash games, for example, are still dramatically underrepresented in TIGdb. Consider how many of these actually appear in TIGdb.

Another issue: the process of updating the db is (from what I've seen Derek post about it) really cumbersome and inefficient right now, which means there is a huge backlog of games that have yet to appear in it.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 09:30:43 AM »

I think the idea of a single unified "indie" front is preposterous. There's already a pretty clear split between the "retro" and "alternative" camps of indie development.

Mainstream gets along just fine without being totally unified. I don't think Indie gaming will have problems either.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 07:09:29 PM »

Indie Brawl could help spreading the word about indie games a lot after it`s finished. We should include profiles for each character including their original games and links to the official sites and etc.

Definitely; I love the idea of it linking to it's characters' sites.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »

I think the idea of a single unified "indie" front is preposterous. There's already a pretty clear split between the "retro" and "alternative" camps of indie development.

Mainstream gets along just fine without being totally unified. I don't think Indie gaming will have problems either.
Down the road, I agree with you, but for now I think there needs to be a level of unity to bring indie gaming all the way out of the shadows.  There are just way too many people who play games that have never heard of indie gaming, and until they do I think we need to stop the petty "retro vs. alternative" bickering and agree to support the community as a whole.

I guess I find it disappointing how many people stopped playing games when they grew up because those games didn't evolve (or evolved in the wrong direction).  And now that we're trying to fix that (both camps), then I'd like for the word to get out.
progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 03:12:16 PM »

I've just been inspired to give talks about indie games at random places. I also need to make TIGdb easier to add games to. We have some awesomely clever ideas for using TIGdb to evangelize and help others evangelize indie games... Smiley

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 03:20:47 PM »

I've just been inspired to give talks about indie games at random places. I also need to make TIGdb easier to add games to. We have some awesomely clever ideas for using TIGdb to evangelize and help others evangelize indie games... Smiley

Yeah, TIGdb is a great contribution, I hope it keeps growing.

increpare
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »

+ 'i forgot my password' button.  I've mentioned this about ten times. I'm going to mention it again, and keep on mentioning it until somebody does something about it or points out to me that it already exists and I just haven't noticed it yet.

It's great though, and I'm really happy with what I've heard of what's planned for it.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic