Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 08:43:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAVG's MMF bullshit
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: AVG's MMF bullshit  (Read 4606 times)
Powergloved Andy
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:15:42 AM »

Yesterday, AVG started picking up MMF files as trojans. I, and a few others, are experiencing the same thing. This is bullshit.

I've been working on a few projects lately like Paclevania. All that is gone, even though I chose AVG to ignore it. All that pathfinding work I did, and everything. Not to mention a few other projects I was tinkering in within it. AVG just overwrote all of them. So now I have nothing. I even had them all backed up on an external, which I would've figured would be no problem. I thought they were safe. This was like YEARS and YEARS worth of shit that I had done in MMF. And it's all gone now. Poof.

Game saves for games like Noitu Love 2 are gone now as well.

This is a warning to TIGers who make use of AVG. BACK UP YOUR MMF PROJECTS, NOW.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:18:54 AM by Andy Kidwell » Logged
Renton
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »

Ouch. Sorry mate.
I also wouldn't recommend Avira, which thinks everything is a virus.
ortoslon
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:29:33 AM »

Indeed. AVG Free 8.0 thinks Knytt Stories is infected with Trojan horse Dropper.Agent.LRE.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:31:44 AM »

AVG 8? The same one that flagged user32.dll as a trojan?
acidBatterie
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:21:28 AM »

omg, i thought it was just me  Shocked
AVG has been like that for a few days.  i didn't notice until i tried to download legend of princess. what gives?
Dropper.Agent.LRE.Dropper.Agent.LRE.Dropper.Agent.LRE.Dropper.Agent.LRE.
Dropper.Agent.LRE.Dropper.Agent.LRE.Dropper.Agent.LRE.Dropper.Agent.LRE.Dropper.Agent.LRE.

akjhnajkwnfrojq3nhjroiv
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:18:29 PM »

Wow. That sucks, man. What kind of program would irrevocably change an ignored file? WTF

And McAfee apparently thinks that Vitalize is spyware as well.  Undecided
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/create-games.com

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 12:55:17 PM »

Call me crazy, but I stopped using anti-virus software on my Windows machine.

Instead I try to keep everything important on my Mac and just use the Windows machine for playing or testing games. I keep nothing much on there that would set me back more than a day if I had to wipe everything.

The thing is probably part of like three million botnets, but at least it actually works, and this is the longest uptime I've had for a Windows machine. I came to the decision not to bother with anti-virus software after years of having my machine fail to boot after anti-virus updates fucked shit up, or erased half my stuff or what-have-you.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend it if you're buying stuff on the internet on that machine, where you'd have problems with keyloggers, or if you are keeping sensitive data there, etc., but I've formed the opinion that anti-virus software is basically a virus you install on purpose to fight off other viruses. It's like paying the mob for protection, except the mob are probably a considerable amount more effective.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 01:06:29 PM »

That's what the police are.

Anyway, thanks for the warning. I don't use MMF but I do use AVG so I'll be sure not to run a system scan or play any MMF games until they get this sorted out.

increpare
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 01:11:28 PM »

ah, dude; I'm sorry to hear that andy.

I take it that people have complained to AVG? Any word back from them?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »

Call me crazy, but I stopped using anti-virus software on my Windows machine.

Yeah me too, never used one for at least ten years and no problems.
The best antivirus is to not run something coming from someone you don't know/trust.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »

That's what the police are.

I would have to disagree. As far as I know, the anti-virus software in my area never gave a totally innocent guy permanent brain and spinal damage, and then launched an investigation (only under considerable pressure) which discovered that officers were 'acting within the normal constraints of the law.'

*ahem*

Formerly "I Like Cake."
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 02:05:58 PM »

Wait, Avira isn't AVG?

In that case, I don't have to worry at least. I had no idea it affected more than compiled MMF games. That sucks fucking hard, Andy.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 02:22:11 PM »

I think you've taken it rather well Andy. I'd have posted a much filthier rant than that. Really sorry to hear it mate Sad

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 03:25:02 PM »

Right, won't be using AVG anymore.

Really sorry to hear this Andy, I can imagine how annoyed you must be about it Sad

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 03:27:47 PM »

It just did it to me today. Nifflas's NanoPack, Treasure Hunter Man and Stargirl and the Thief who Blew Up the Moon, and the CommonplaceBookCompo's From Primordial Egg all got blasted. Lucky that I don't really do anything in MultimediaFusion myself, but it is pretty crazy that AVG all of a sudden started flagging MMF games as, well, infected (indiscriminately).

... Man, I feel dirty posting here after failing to meet the whole deadline for the CommonplaceBookCompo, but I felt I had to peep about this a little bit. School's having me learn .NET, nowadays, and I'm semi-grounded from purchasing games (loophole= Indie Games that are free!) Ah well.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 09:55:37 PM »

I was able to restore all my games from AVG's virus vault. The only thing I lost, to my knowledge, was my Noitu Love 2 save file (but it kept my records and unlocked content).

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 11:24:12 PM »

Ooohh... That explains why AVG suddenly thought my Lovecraft folder was full of viruses. I better tell thewreck before it's too late, he also has years and years of work in MMF projects  Concerned

Biggerfish
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 03:19:22 AM »

The best antivirus is to not run something coming from someone you don't know/trust.
Pretty much this. I went for about 6 months with no AV and windows firewall turned off, and after installing an AV it found nothing.

I've come to the conclusion that, with a bit of common sense, virii aren't very easy to get (you just have to know the risks).
ortoslon
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 05:52:17 AM »

As of Virus DB 270.10.19/1941, AVG Free doesn't find any virii in Knytt Stories.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 12:45:07 PM »

Uh oh, That's terrible. I just put all my MMF 2 folders to exceptions, after reading this.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic