Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411681 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 01:51:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBeaten Indie Games Discussion Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Beaten Indie Games Discussion Thread  (Read 7467 times)
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »

Big Laff
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 10:51:46 PM »

GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what part I just came from?!

Anyway, I'll start from the top. I got through the Plantation without too much problem. The hardest part there literally was hiding Mommy. (She was kind of cute) After that I got to 'Final Cave' Easily reminded me of Mega Man 2's famous final stage. I tried hard to avoid those good 'ole ceiling blood drops 'o death. (Well they weren't that damaging in Cave Story. In MM2 they were teh death.) After about a dozen tries I got through. I think I got killed the most times and the falling stone monster run wit fat marshmellow monsters section. After that I got to see some more of the clouds, hear some more of that cloud music and get attacked by some crazy dogs..er Mimigas. Then I got to Misery. It took me a few tries to beat her of course. I focused on the 'enemies flash before they do energy raping' thing' When I killed her the first time I was thinking the kind thoughts 'I WANT YOU DEAD' 'I WANT YOU DEAD' 'I WANT YOU..' Before I knew it my vertical lvl 3 machine gun was stopped by Misery declaring her asswhipped. Then I was looking at cages with Mimgas upstairs 'Doododo Dooododo Hey Mimigas...then the Doctor started talking. I was like WTF I didn't even see your bloated ass? heh heh I was too busy assuming that an upstairs after a somewhat difficult boss fight would be relaxing but instead I bumped into the game's Lex f'king Luthor' Great. He rapes me with his attacks that accelerate a little bit too fast when they come from offscreen and of course I stood no chance because there was NO F'KING HEALTH REFILL/SAVING!!!! I fight Misery again while trying to remember that she likes to move left to right and right to left. I precede to rape her with missiles and then scream (inside my brain of course) I WANT YOU F'KING..and then she falls to the ground. The Doctor kills me a few more times. On the second to last time I fight Misery, after I wrecked her there's a heart still floating around so I was like 'Shut up and go away' She of course leaves right when it disappears and I think 'YOU BITCH!!!!' The last time I fought the goth reject, I decided to save all my missiles (Yay for me.) and then she goes ahead and lets me miss out on another heart (SON OF A...) I get through The Doctor first form without a problem this time and then I unload 10-20 missiles on his beastly ass and his second form is down within seconds. Man do I hate how those bats would limit my movement which made it easier for him to stomp on my head. Well the missiles solved that part. The game says 'You Beat The Doctor' or we and I said 'good he's actually dead now. Besides Misery oh and the core, I didn't no what to expect to see upstairs. Well both of them appear again and Misery somehow has Sue (Didn't she already day? I lost count. heh heh) After Misery tried to turn this game into an episode of Flashpoint, The Doctor comes out of nowhere in the form of...jello? Whenever a badguy come back from a death, he's automatically almighty so I had to watch him take control. First he possesses the lady Misery's body (Ewwwww...) and then Sue gets hit by the crystal and gets slightly bigger. Then the core says something and then the boss fight starts...I swear I did not no what was going on the screen got filled with BS then for a split second, I hoped Sue would be on my side and then she tried to Sonic the Hedgehog me. So I'm sitting their trying to dodge all of the core attacks, Sue's and Misery/Doctor's while Doctor summons a bunch of those marshmellows. I killed a lot of those fat little things and survived on the life they gave me and started firing missiles and blades at the core while trying to fight off those other 2 guys. Few minutes later..the killer robot dies and I say 'SCREW THIS!' heh I'm going to try again when I'm not so tired. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the fact that I just got me me some Xbox Live live today (including a free month of Gold) and will be playing that Castlevania SotN game I've been hearing about. Well the demo because I'm cheap...)

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »

Cave Story was enjoyable, but, contrary to what many people express, it had very little impact on me.  cave story was my very first introduction into independent gaming, so i was super impressed that it was created by one man.  i was inspired by pixel's determination and the overall product thereof. so i guess i owe my being here to  Cave Story.

i agree with you, the ending was abrupt.  i just got a feeling like i had missed so much.  turned out i had (see:  Cave Story hell).

anyways, have you tried psychosomnium by cactus?  it's really short, but i loved the ending.  speaking of cactus, what about the ending to mondo agency?

i know you're new here, i just don't know how new you are to the indie game scene.  there's lots to explore!
I'm so new that you were better off spitting chocolate in my face and screaming Norweigian in my ear because I have no clue what you're talking about. heh Elaborate.

So Cave Story was really made by one man? That's so good it's scary...

"Beaten" indie games is a pretty broad topic -- though indie game endings specifically would be an interesting subject.

I prefer endings that let you know what happened to the characters. Not like "he went on to have 20 grandkids" but more like how their lives ended up, whether they were happy or whatever. One of my favorite endings (though this is not to an indie game) is Suikoden 1. It went through all 108 characters and gave you a short sentence about what happened to them. There's a video of it here:

108 characters?! Teh hell?! That's news to me.[/quote]
Also: I agree that this topic is way too broad. I could go on and on listing indie games I've beaten.
[/quote]Ahhh, that's the point of this thread.
... I don't think I have beaten any... I almost got the "ending" in Cave Story, but didn't wanna be a dick and not let my little brother a his own file on the game...

I just starting playing Lyle in Cube Sector, and it's awesome so far!

I may start on Iji too...
Gentleman

What's this Iji game everyone's talking about???
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:01:38 PM by gunswordfist » Logged

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 11:07:08 PM »

yeah, pixel slaved over cave story for years.  i won't go into lore because i don't know any.  the independent gaming community, mainly, the people who make them, are all hard working people who largely make games by themselves.  there are plenty of collaborators but a vast majority is literally independent in conception and execution.  i believe a strong work ethic is required to make really great games  Beer!

as far as great (indie) games go, czech these peeps out  Kiss

www.infiniteammo.ca/games
www.maths.tcd.ie/~icecube
www.derekyu.com
www.cactus-soft.co.nr
www.messhof.com
www.can-games.com

whatever the hell that has to do with game endings  Gentleman
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 11:15:41 PM »

yeah, pixel slaved over cave story for years.  i won't go into lore because i don't know any.  the independent gaming community, mainly, the people who make them, are all hard working people who largely make games by themselves.  there are plenty of collaborators but a vast majority is literally independent in conception and execution.  i believe a strong work ethic is required to make really great games  Beer!

as far as great (indie) games go, czech these peeps out  Kiss

www.infiniteammo.ca/games
www.maths.tcd.ie/~icecube
www.derekyu.com
www.cactus-soft.co.nr
www.messhof.com
www.can-games.com

whatever the hell that has to do with game endings  Gentleman
Derek Yu's site is literally how I got here and I literally started downloading the Aquaria demo a second ago. But I'll be sure to check out all the sites I don't already know. I need more exposure to indie gaming. It's amazing that such small teams can make such great games. Still wanna make me a 2-Man game company (again, me and some music guy(

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Fuzz
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 11:18:25 PM »

Surprisingly, I've never heard of them.

anyways, have you tried psychosomnium by cactus?  it's really short, but i loved the ending.  speaking of cactus, what about the ending to mondo agency?
I love Psychosomnium, but I can't get past the bee part!

This is the website of Daniel Remar/Ultimortal, the guy who made Iji. It's a fantastic Metroidvania. His other games are also really good, especially Garden Gnome Carnage.  Gentleman
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »

Derek Yu's site is literally how I got here and I literally started downloading the Aquaria demo a second ago. But I'll be sure to check out all the sites I don't already know. I need more exposure to indie gaming. It's amazing that such small teams can make such great games. Still wanna make me a 2-Man game company (again, me and some music guy(
This is all the stuff I have in my games folder, and I'm just scratching the surface (some of these are developers and some are individual games):

bibin
Joosa Riekkinen
zaphos
yahtzee
Vega
vasily zotov
Toribash
Tigsource collaborative and compos
the underside
the anemic
tatsusoft
syobon action
swarm racer
studio trophis
squashy software
Soldexus
Radical Poesis Games and Creations
pixel
nils deneken
nifflas
n
mightier
messhof
Matt Thorson
lazrael
kyle pulver
jazzuo
jason rohrer
jabberwock
IWBTG
increpare
ikiki
Hempuli
grickmin
dyson
Soldat
SKULLPOGO
ohrrpgce games
drilian
drain storm
doomlaser
blendo games
daniel remar
rod humble
cactus
wolfire
bogozone
cly5m
auntie pixelante
destructivator
Death Worm
Deadly Rooms Of Death
buster (e. hashimoto)
secret exit
alexandre szybiak
distractionware
JLJac
16x16
oddbob
adam cadre
2dcube
coolmoose
TeeGee
You Have to Burn the Rope

and then there's a lot of stuff I've downloaded but haven't played yet and haven't put in my games folder yet:

yume nikki
adept
tigduelsSilver
bay 12
crestfallen
Closure
hideous
gostak
farbs
masaHG
diver down
derek yu
De Blob
pixeljam
danny ledonne
one girl one laptop
LA-MULANA
kloonigames
cactus
lazrael
ydhtbtr
wolfire
WireRobo
virtanen games
spooky sqid
progress quest
polarity
auto mata
crystal shard
lamulana
kokoromi
linley henzell
jet set willy online
origamihero
mr kubus
mdickie
jonas kyratzes
tale of tales
sumotori dreams
soup
nuclear monkey
Alexitron
konjak
queasy games
nifflas
nayon
muon
jazzuo
main reactor
jinxtengu
text the halls
tales of game's studios

and there is an almost infinite amount of great indie stuff I've never heard of/haven't yet downloaded.
Whoa, with all that crazy name stuff I thought you just banged your keyboard and made some sh!t up. heh heh I only recognize Soldat (need to play that) Derek Yu (that was obvious) and nifflas sounds..er looks familiar?

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Fuzz
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 11:56:55 PM »

Whoa, with all that crazy name stuff I thought you just banged your keyboard and made some sh!t up. heh heh I only recognize Soldat (need to play that) Derek Yu (that was obvious) and nifflas sounds..er looks familiar?
There were probably some repeats in that (for example developers that I downloaded new games by and are thus in both lists) but yeah, I got a lot of that by browsing archived tigsource stuff. Also, if you want to get into indie games, a good place to start would be to look at the full planned list of characters for Indie Brawl. Nifflas is most famous for Knytt and Knytt Stories, but only three of his games are on his website. If you want all of his stuff he has it archived here.
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 02:28:51 AM »

I have played through Knytt stories and the official expansions; I am so addicted to this game, gotten a little stuck on some of the third party pack levels though.

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 03:35:21 AM »

I HAVE BEATEN SO MANY INDIE GAMES THAT IT'S HARD TO SAY ANYTHING.

But really, my 'games'-folder is full of games, even after I deleted all those I don't play/like.

Iji is very nice, but it could be harder.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 03:45:49 AM »

This is the website of Daniel Remar/Ultimortal, the guy who made Iji. It's a fantastic Metroidvania.
Nah, it's a very linear game but the levels themselves demand a little exploration. Very awesome game though and demands more playthroughs than one  Addicted
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 07:01:17 AM »

It's sort of a mash-up of Metroidvania and Run-'n'-gun. But it's still awesome.

Two games I have not beat for the same reason are An Untitled Story and IWBTG. I've reached the final boss on both, but they're too frustrating to continue. Final bosses in super-hard games are always annoying, because they require you to memorize a very long (and usually very precise) pattern of movement in order to be beaten. And it doesn't help that they have like 10 stages each.
Fuzz
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 08:01:57 AM »

Two games I have not beat for the same reason are An Untitled Story and IWBTG. I've reached the final boss on both, but they're too frustrating to continue. Final bosses in super-hard games are always annoying, because they require you to memorize a very long (and usually very precise) pattern of movement in order to be beaten. And it doesn't help that they have like 10 stages each.
And also laser eyes. It's not good.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 10:45:55 AM »

There were probably some repeats in that (for example developers that I downloaded new games by and are thus in both lists) but yeah, I got a lot of that by browsing archived tigsource stuff. Also, if you want to get into indie games, a good place to start would be to look at the full planned list of characters for Indie Brawl. Nifflas is most famous for Knytt and Knytt Stories, but only three of his games are on his website. If you want all of his stuff he has it archived here.
DOY! Knytt was the first game I downloaded off of indiegames. Of course I know who Nifflas is. Can't believe I forgot that and I still need to beat that game.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 11:08:21 AM »

This is the website of Daniel Remar/Ultimortal, the guy who made Iji. It's a fantastic Metroidvania. His other games are also really good, especially Garden Gnome Carnage.  Gentleman
[/quote]Thank you! Don't know how I missed this post. I'm dl'ing Iji now and will get GGC next. I didn't know Iji would be a game starring a shooting girl? I assumed it was an action packed ninja guy from the way people here was talking about it.

Sheesh man that's got to suck. I'm of course still stuck on Cave Story's last boss but I don't have to do any precise timing there. I took about a third of its life from just running around trying to figure out what's going on. heh heh I guess the real hard part is getting there alive and with a decent amount of health.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2009, 03:00:37 PM »

PHEW!! Around 5:48 PM today (that would be a few minutes before this post. I TRULY beat Cave Story! I died about 3 times and then finally won. I decided to actually use Blade on Undead Core. I was dodging attacks like crazy and before I knew it Sue and Misery/Doctor where dead next to each other. I was like 'WtHell are you guys doing, I just began to kick ass' I didn't even know they could stay down heh I continue to jump between using Level 2/3 Blade since I got hit hear and there and I used the Life Pot sometime during the fight. It took a few minutes but I finally killed the Undead with all the Blades I used. That made the fight a lot easier then I previously thought it was. Also, I didn't know the killer robot looked so human until the credits. Teh HELL?!! hehe

EDIT: I'm off to restart Knytt and actually beat it.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Fuzz
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2009, 03:07:11 PM »

PHEW!! Around 5:48 PM today (that would be a few minutes before this post. I TRULY beat Cave Story! I died about 3 times and then finally won. I decided to actually use Blade on Undead Core. I was dodging attacks like crazy and before I knew it Sue and Misery/Doctor where dead next to each other. I was like 'WtHell are you guys doing, I just began to kick ass' I didn't even know they could stay down heh I continue to jump between using Level 2/3 Blade since I got hit hear and there and I used the Life Pot sometime during the fight. It took a few minutes but I finally killed the Undead with all the Blades I used. That made the fight a lot easier then I previously thought it was. Also, I didn't know the killer robot looked so human until the credits. Teh HELL?!! hehe

Now it's time for Hell...
Knytt is really something that is isn't too hard, just an atmospheric game that takes about half an hour.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »

Now it's time for Hell...
Knytt is really something that is isn't too hard, just an atmospheric game that takes about half an hour.
Well I'm having a little trouble trying to get out of the underground. heh

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »

I just took about 30 minutes to beat Knytt. Pretty good platformer it was.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 05:10:23 PM »

Cave Story

A few Knytt Stories levels.

Oh. I camt remember.

The artist formally known as "Javet."