Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:58:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborations[Rev-Share] Pixel artist wanted for collaboration
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Rev-Share] Pixel artist wanted for collaboration  (Read 748 times)
tidyui
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:59:56 PM »

TLDR

I’m an experienced programmer
& sound engineer looking for a skilled pixel artist for concept, art & animation for a 2D top-down action RPG. You will receive 40% of all Net Income from the sales of the game.

About the project

As the title says I’m looking for a retro-inspired pixel artists to collaborate with on a 2D top-down action RPG.

The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting ravished by radiation, with a mix of high & low tech surroundings & encounters. Gameplay is a classic 2D top-down action-based game in the veins of Zelda and HLD with several different locations with glorious boss-fights in the end. The main difference from the classics is that the game will have completely different endings depending on what you’ve done and in what order you’ve done it.

I’ve been working on the game for a while now to get all of the basics done, and have the following up and running:

* Pixel-perfect rendering & adaptation for different resolutions
* High-performance 2D lighting system (ambient & directional)
* Map-import pipeline from Tiled
* Integrated pathfinding with imported maps for enemies
* Patrol areas & idle movement for enemies
* Behaviors for melee & range attack enemies
* Behaviors for enemies pursuing the player on visual contact
* Shooting projectiles with environmental or player/enemy hit
* Custom animation system for multi-layered objects
* Inventory system
* Movement in stairs
* Opening/closing doors with animations
* Locked doors
* Generic ”device” system for operational things.
* Multiple rooms in a single level with camera focus & FOW.

Who am I

I am a SENIOR developer who has been programming for over 25 years, the last 16 years professionally. I’ve also worked with sound production & audio on the side for 20 years and done numerous album & video productions. You might ask yourself what the I’m doing here, but the thing is, I love programming, classic games and trying out new stuff Smiley

I started working with Unity 1 1/2 years ago as we use it at my job and it seemed like a lot of fun, and joined a Rev-Share project on Reddit which is now preparing for its KS campaign. This project however is my baby on the side and is the game I’ve always wanted to do.

I will do all of the programming, music & sound design. However I could potentially include some music from other composers that I like just for fun.

Who am I looking for

The assets in the current build are mostly done by me and the pixel artist from my other project. However I feel I really need a creative soul to collaborate with. The current art direction is mine, BUT I want to let this go completely to the person I end up working with.

I want you to have full creative control over the visual aspects of the game, enemies & all of its surroundings. Needless to say you need to be creative, have a love for retro pixel art games and have some kind of vision of what you would like to achieve in the game. Also your vision somewhat have to align with mine, otherwise the project won’t be that fun Smiley

You will be responsible for bringing up concepts, making pixel art and animations, however I am of course interested in being a part of discussing all of these with you.

What’s in it for you

The goal is of course a commercial product. I see the game being released first on PC/Mac, but if everything goes well I’d like to go for the supported consoles & tablets. PC/Mac gameplay will be optimized for Xbox/PS4 controller but with touch controls in mind.

Since I’m doing this on the side I can’t pay you by the hour, however since this will be a 2 person project I am offering you 40% of all Net Income from the sales of the game. As these kinds of games depend heavily on the quality of art and animations I want you to get the revenue you deserve if the game is successful.

The risks

I don’t see a risk in not completing the project as I’ve done a lot of projects in the past, including putting thousands and thousands of hours into an open source project I’m still maintaining. However as I have a full-time job to take care of, family and other misc stuff, the worst thing that could happen is that the project takes a bit longer than we’d want.

Rounding up

So if you think this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, don’t hesitate to send me a PM. If you want more information regarding something specific just let me know and I’ll give it to you Smiley Be sure to include the following in your message:

* Link to your portfolio
* Experience in pixel art
* Experience in pixel art animation
* Experience in concept art
* Where you live & your timezone
* How many hours a week you’d see your self contributing with
* Your age (as rev-share deals, contracts and other legal aspects require a certain age in different parts of the world)
* What art styles you love, and how you picture the game if you could do exactly what you wanted

Over and out!
tidyui
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »

And I just realized I forgot to provide any links, so here's a quick update!

Project Twitter:
http://twitter.com/technocratgame

My Soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/skyrockets

An early web build for my other project:
http://play.itsadisastergame.com
tidyui
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »

Also thought I'd update with some visuals styles I like! Being an old fart that actually played all of the old pixel games when they came out, for me pixel art should be something artistic made using the technology we have today, it doesn't neccessary have to look like something that would've been made in the 90's Smiley

Here are some screenshots from the current build:

Without dynamic lighting (only the sprites):

The same image with lighting:

I truly enjoy the early art style from Druids of Gemini

And of course I love the art of HLD (who doesn't).

The current assets are built around a 16x16px grid, but I have no problem modifying rendering to optimize for 24x24 or 32x32px spritesheets for higher details.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic