Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411674 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 06:58:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject GoldScript - an engine/game inspired by D&D Goldbox + FF Tactics
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project GoldScript - an engine/game inspired by D&D Goldbox + FF Tactics  (Read 1552 times)
gsengine
Level 0

Project GoldScript - Inspired by the D&D Goldbox

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »

Latest video - Sprites, shadows, turns, rounds, movement & pathfinding

With this video, I'm happy to say that unit sprites, shadows, movement, path finding, rounds, turns and very basic AI are now all functioning within the engine. Some tweaking is needed, but it's basically all there. Read more on the website http://www.projectgoldscript.com/development/sprites-turnbased-movement-ai/

Dark Orbonne Monastery; a GoldScript Engine tech demo

Hi there,

My name is Rohan and I'm the creator and lead developer behind Project GoldScript which is a game development project composed of two parts. The first is a game logic and rendering engine called the GoldScript Engine, the second is the first original RPG which will be made using this engine.

The game is inspired by both the classic Goldbox series of Dungeons & Dragons RPGs and Final Fantasy Tactics. It is written in JavaScript and is being developed for Windows, Mac & Linux using Node-WebKit and Three.js

We're currently focusing on the combat portion of the engine. We've been in development on and off for about 6-8 months.

Here's a quick feature list taken from http://www.projectgoldscript.com/about/

• Deep, mature storyline in an original post apocalyptic fantasy setting
  • Primary & secondary attributes for characters
  • Full party creation
  • Party reputation
  • A leader mechanic where the player chooses a party leader at the start of the game. This will have a variety of consequences depending on the leader's class and attributes
  • Spells, miracles and talents unique to each of the (currently) 6 character classes
  • Meaningful choices and consequences that will potentially block paths off to the player entirely, encouraging multiple play-throughs

Here's a couple of videos;

Very early demonstration of elevation, path finding & movement

Another early demo of our combat level building tool

I'll come back to update this post whenever I can, but if you'd like to know more here are a bunch of links

Thanks for reading, will have more updates soon. Up next will be a more fully featured level builder with vertex editing and mesh texturising.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 06:34:39 PM by gsengine » Logged
gsengine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 01:30:23 AM »

I've just uploaded a tech demo for the combat level building tool

This demo was released for Halloween and is a dark reimagining of the very first level from Final Fantasy Tactics; Orbonne Monastery. It marks the completion of my map building pipeline and features cool things like dynamic lighting and particle effects. I even wrote a music track for it! If you want to read more about the video, check out our devblog http://www.projectgoldscript.com/development/dark-orbonne-monastery/

Hope you like it! More coming soon!
gsengine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »

Hi,

A new video is up! You can see it here

I've written a blog post detailing the features shown in this vid, you can check that out here http://www.projectgoldscript.com/development/sprites-turnbased-movement-ai/ but for those who just want the quick version here it goes.

So basically sprites, shadows, turns, rounds, movement, path finding and some extremely basic AI are now functioning inside the engine. It took me about a month of my spare time to get all of this done.

By far the hardest feature was the unit spot shadows. These were tough. It's tricky because they are essentially polygons that can intersect with 3D elements, but need to match their surface normals. It was challenging, and I'm not 100% happy with the solution but it will do for now. I tried a bunch of different solutions but this was the one that gave the best effect. If anyone else has better suggestions (apart from extra directional light, which I think is the best solution), then I'm all ears.

I'll be implementing an action points system next, which may or may not remove movement from the stats. If I allow units to only move once per turn then it can still exist but I don't really like arbitrary restrictions like that so I'll probably just merge AP and the movement stat into one. Makes things simpler and makes more sense logically.

Until then!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic