Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 12:49:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMonster Prom [AVAILABLE!] <3
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Monster Prom [AVAILABLE!] <3  (Read 95677 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2016, 08:08:18 PM »

I like the first one, sells the idea fast (well at least how I understand it)

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2016, 10:03:05 AM »

Yeah, same. Instantly makes me think of the ol' writing  your-crushes-name-in-your-notebook thing kids used to do (since now they snapchat their "Will You Date Me" notes).

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »

Yeah! Most popular ones so far are the first one and the second one.
Problem with the first one is that it differs a lot of the blunt tone of the game. I like it as an ironic touch; but truth is that logo is sometimes first impression people have of the game. So if they look at the logo on the Steam Store, they won't get that is ironic and the game is all kinds of wrong. So that is what scares me about that option!

Check the devlog for MONSTER PROM
And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2016, 06:47:50 PM »

So... about STATS.
We have 5+1 (the +1 being MONEY).

STATS are not as specific as you might think. Sometimes it can be a bit confusing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We want the player to not be entirely sure if a choice needs one stat or another.
I want to show you the stats. Tell me if you think they're rightly named.

SMARTS - This is wit, cleverness, intelligence. It is related to choices that need being smart or behaving as a smart-ass.
FUN - It is not necessarily about being funny (since all choices try to be kind of funny, right?), but more about having a sense of fun, doing fun stuff, being kind of a party animal.
BOLDNESS - This is about being blunt, bold, brave. If you have lots of BOLDNESS, you probably are a badass who loves danger
CHARM - This includes both flirting, having some class and also people skills. If the answer is related to socializing with people, it probably needs you to have some CHARM.
CREATIVITY - Creativity is about being original, unique, different. I don't like UNIQUENESS as a name because I hate when people is all about "Yeah, I'm unique, I'm different from everyone else". Damn, everyone is unique, dude. So I prefered to call this one CREATIVITY, in the sense of being able of crafting your own ways. It's also related to choice that involves a creative field (singing, painting, etc)
MONEY - this is how much money you have. Easy one.

A good way of testing the stats is with what we call "First Chouce questions". At the beginning of each game, players face a kind of a quiz questions with 6 answers. Each answer is tied to a STAT and choosing that answer will give the player an initial boost on that stat (and it will probably reduce other random stat).

Here you have an example (keep in mind we tell you the stat tied to each answer but they won't be visible in-game):

Which is your spirit emoji?

SMARTS. One of those chinese weird symbols. I mean… soon everything will be Chinese, right? It’s time we start to be ready for that.
FUN. Octopus emoji. Best animal on Earth. I know 5 alcohol beverages, 3 drugs and 17 sex positions involving one or several octopuses.
BOLDNESS. Snowman, because that motherfucker is in the middle of a blizzard and he’s fuckin’ smiling. He doesn’t give a fuck on blizzards. And he has a kick-ass hat.
CHARM. Moon with a stupid face. It’s so weird that you can just send it out of the blue and people will talk you back just to know why you text them that weird shit. The perfect ice-breaker.
CREATIVITY. Caucasian guy with a turban because fuck stereotypes
MONEY. Emoji with a police hat. I mean, that guy has a steady and well-paid job. I often assume that, in comparison, standard emojis with no “job hats” are probably just homeless.

So you start a game and you get a random "first choice question" with funny options that set you and your friends in the mood and let you define yourselves in a funny way while differentiating each player by their stats (but obviously more than one player can choose the same asnwer if they feel like it)

So what do you think about...
a. the current STATS and their names?
b. "first choice questions"?
c. this specific "first choice question"?

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2016, 09:39:33 AM »

First sketches for events' illustrations:

What do you think?

Also: no one wants to help us with STATS and FIRST CHOICE QUESTIONS?  Cry

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »

As you know, there are 6 LOVE INTERESTS, which are different monsters and highschool tropes. Here are some sketches on HIPSTER and PARTY ANIMAL.
Spoiler alert: in the end we didn't use neither of the sketches here drawn for the PARTY ANIMAL

What do you think?

And follow us on TWITTER
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2016, 11:54:55 AM »

New artist is good

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2016, 12:02:29 PM »

Thanks gimymblert! I'm glad you like it.
What do you think about STATS and FIRST QUESTION CHOICES?

6 NPCs are

male:
JOCK
HIPSTER
BAD BOY

female:
MEAN GIRL
PARTY ANIMAL
LITTLE PRINCESS

can you guess which monsters they are?

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2016, 12:26:59 PM »

Another FIRST CHOICE QUESTION!

If you had to have sex with an animal… which animal would it be?

SMARTS. A human being, because I’m a douchebag who loves to find loopholes in this kind of stupid question.
FUN. A dolphin. They're the only other animal that fuck just for pleasure, so at least we can both do our best to have a good time, right?
BOLDNESS. No one can make me fuck an animal. If I fucked an animal, it'd be of my own free will. As a matter of fact, I already have fucked an animal, so the joke’s on you, pal.
CHARM. A white shark. If I have to fuck an animal, let's at least make it a story worth telling!
CREATIVITY. A swan. They’re kinda classy. Plus it reminds me of the myth of Leda and the Swan, so it sounds kinda inspiring (by bestiality standards).
MONEY. A purebred horse. At least I can keep his semen and sell it. It's worth a lot! Who said there was no silver lining to bestiality?

I repeat the prior questions:

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »

Evolution of YELLOW

ON HOLD:

So... about STATS.
We have 5+1 (the +1 being MONEY).

STATS are not as specific as you might think. Sometimes it can be a bit confusing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We want the player to not be entirely sure if a choice needs one stat or another.
I want to show you the stats. Tell me if you think they're rightly named.

SMARTS - This is wit, cleverness, intelligence. It is related to choices that need being smart or behaving as a smart-ass.
FUN - It is not necessarily about being funny (since all choices try to be kind of funny, right?), but more about having a sense of fun, doing fun stuff, being kind of a party animal.
BOLDNESS - This is about being blunt, bold, brave. If you have lots of BOLDNESS, you probably are a badass who loves danger
CHARM - This includes both flirting, having some class and also people skills. If the answer is related to socializing with people, it probably needs you to have some CHARM.
CREATIVITY - Creativity is about being original, unique, different. I don't like UNIQUENESS as a name because I hate when people is all about "Yeah, I'm unique, I'm different from everyone else". Damn, everyone is unique, dude. So I prefered to call this one CREATIVITY, in the sense of being able of crafting your own ways. It's also related to choice that involves a creative field (singing, painting, etc)
MONEY - this is how much money you have. Easy one.

A good way of testing the stats is with what we call "First Chouce questions". At the beginning of each game, players face a kind of a quiz questions with 6 answers. Each answer is tied to a STAT and choosing that answer will give the player an initial boost on that stat (and it will probably reduce other random stat).

Here you have an example (keep in mind we tell you the stat tied to each answer but they won't be visible in-game):

Which is your spirit emoji?

SMARTS. One of those chinese weird symbols. I mean… soon everything will be Chinese, right? It’s time we start to be ready for that.
FUN. Octopus emoji. Best animal on Earth. I know 5 alcohol beverages, 3 drugs and 17 sex positions involving one or several octopuses.
BOLDNESS. Snowman, because that motherfucker is in the middle of a blizzard and he’s fuckin’ smiling. He doesn’t give a fuck on blizzards. And he has a kick-ass hat.
CHARM. Moon with a stupid face. It’s so weird that you can just send it out of the blue and people will talk you back just to know why you text them that weird shit. The perfect ice-breaker.
CREATIVITY. Caucasian guy with a turban because fuck stereotypes
MONEY. Emoji with a police hat. I mean, that guy has a steady and well-paid job. I often assume that, in comparison, standard emojis with no “job hats” are probably just homeless.

So you start a game and you get a random "first choice question" with funny options that set you and your friends in the mood and let you define yourselves in a funny way while differentiating each player by their stats (but obviously more than one player can choose the same asnwer if they feel like it)

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »

Sketches: events for YELLOW

And follow us on TWITTER
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2016, 04:01:15 AM »

In terms of questions, I understand the approach. As of now, I'm indifferent (they seem fine), but a few questions I have are:

1. What demographic are you trying to reach?

Based on the questions, I assume this game would be for those of a modest age (16+)? Which leads to my next question:

2. Will the vulgarity also bleed over in-game?

Primarily focusing on the shark question. I personally am not a fan of excessive usage of curse words, so I'm biased, but if the questions contain brash language, I assume the game dialogue will as well.

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2016, 06:16:41 AM »

1. Well, I don't exactly believe in demographics. I share the idea of a post-demographic society. This being said, I would define the audience based on behavior. It would be people that enjoy spending time with their friends (since this is primarily a local multiplayer game), so maybe we're talking of people on their 20s or early 30s. But they like "wrong" humor that is post-modern and cynical but wrapped on cartoonish visuals. People that enjoy South Park, Archer or Rick and Morty. People that enjoy SNL and Inside Amy Schumer and College Humor, etc.

2. This is hard to tell, since the questions were written by me (which will be part of the game, of course), but main events (most of narrative) is written by another person. I can share some events for you to judge (:

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »

Some comparison between the OLD ART STYLE and the NEW ART STYLE

What do you think?

And follow us on TWITTER
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2016, 01:13:07 PM »

new artist as a very good sense of scene

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2016, 03:43:06 PM »

I just clicked your signature. Have you seriously never tweeted anything on that before??

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2016, 06:21:43 PM »

I just clicked your signature. Have you seriously never tweeted anything on that before??

Thanks a lot! Recently I changed the @ for our twitter (from the product @theindiegzine to the company @btflglitch) so some links might be useless now. Just changed it.

You can check it again! Wink

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »

new artist as a very good sense of scene

Yeah, right? I love his style. It's full of life and personality!

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2016, 10:24:10 AM »

More comparisons!

And follow us on TWITTER
gimymblert
Level 10