Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 03, 2024, 12:08:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLooking for artist for very small game (2 - 3 weeks)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for artist for very small game (2 - 3 weeks)  (Read 1217 times)
jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:31:53 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm going to make a game for the competition at jayisgames.com:

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2012/07/game_design_competition_10.php

and I could use an artist and a musician. I'll be programming the game in Flash. The deadline is September 3rd, and I'm only going to have about 20 days to work on the game, so its going to be very small.

The theme is "escape". My idea so far: Top-down 2D. Modern day. As you're walking along a residential street, your dog runs into an old house. You follow it inside, but it's nowhere to be seen. Though there is no one there, something strange obviously happened inside the house recently, indicated by the broken furniture and spilled water on the ground (or something). As you explore the rooms of the house looking for the dog, you come to understand some series of events based solely on clues in the environment. Ostensibly you're trying to find your dog, maybe we want to turn it into a horror game and end with the player trying to escape from some terrible person or truth(!). I'm kind of being inspired by HP Lovecraft, but I don't want it to feel cliche. We can work together to come up with something fresh.

It would be pretty simple on the programming end. The core gameplay would be walking between rooms and looking at the clues in the environment, trying to understand what happened. So, I imagine it requiring a high number of assets per room. Every room would probably need a handful of unique elements. Things like a broken vase, books, maybe a pool of blood(!!). I'm fine with the art being super low-res to compensate for the short timeline, as long as it has a consistent style that fits whatever mood we go for.

As for music... I imagine we want most of the music to be pretty low-key since we will try to create the atmosphere of an abandoned house. I'm imagining just a few keys playing on the piano. But that' kind of cliche, if you an come up with something better, by all means. Found a musician!

If we win a prize, I'll split it evenly with my partners.

My goal is to force the player to use logic and inference to understand what happened to his dog/inside the house. If anyone played the lighthouse adventure in Skyrim, where you have to figure out what happened to the family, that's a big inspiration for this. I don't want it to be like an adventure game where you have to wander around until you randomly click on things in the correct order. There might not even be any clicking on things, just the player looking at the clues and trying to put the puzzle together. Now, will it be as fun as the adventure in Skyrim? I don't know - that adventure had an infusion of combat, which this game won't have (unless it's very brief and basic). Maybe we make the game just about finding your dog, which is a very simple task, but as you do so you see all the clues that, if the player puts them together, convey something very horrifying. But it's optional. Maybe not. Anyways, I think it's going to be very interesting to design from a gameplay perpsective, and I'd like to do so with you,.

I hope to hear from someone!

Bo
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:10:26 AM by jeffrobot » Logged
ROCKYIII
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »

Hi, your game looks awesome and I will score it for free. A few different songs of mine are below. Check them out and get back to me.

Excited!:

Hope is Lost:

The Adventure Begins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ladl6-M8eo

Thanks,
Mikey
blinkok
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:54:30 PM »

a top down map of the house detailing the items would help a lot

My 2D Stuff twitter: @blinkok
jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »

Hey Blinkok,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not at the point yet where I know what the house will look like or what items are in it. All that is still left to be decided upon. I just started today on the system for navigating the rooms of the house and an editor to rearrange rooms. My plan is to program all the basic features and then turn my attention to the game/level design aspect of the project. And I was hoping my collaborators would want to help with that aspect.

But I can definitely provide a few more details. The house might have 3 floors, with 3 - 5 rooms on each floor. So we'll say 12 rooms total. Each room needs to be furnished with basic furniture and a floor/walls/windows. Depending on the style the artist uses, that could be super easy to do though. The walls could be solid colors for all I care, if it looked good. And in each room, maybe are 1 - 3 unique items, like a children's toy, or a rocking chair, or a fireplace. And these items could be as simple or as detailed as the artist wanted to make them.

As I've said, the art style could be anything. Super big, low-res pixels ala Monaco, or more detailed if you want. Maybe vector stuff. Maybe the main character could just be a black rectangle. Who knows? Ideally I'd talk to the artist about the game and we could work together to find a style that fits the mood.

Is that helpful?

I checked out some of your art. Very impressive stuff.
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »

Hi,

I like the concept of your game, been looking to compose some low-key piano stuff for a game and yours sounds like it would suit it well. I'll compose a short piece based on your description and email it you probably tomorrow if that's alright? Then you can decide if you're interested.
jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »

I can't wait, soundhound!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic