Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411533 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 12:09:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Your First Pixel Art
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Your First Pixel Art  (Read 17548 times)
B. van Stokkum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 04:35:54 AM »

The one picture I remember, I spent hours fiddling with it.  I believe it was on a 286 we got from my aunt as our first computer, so it was a DOS program.  The picture ended up being a weird system of caves/tunnels, filled with ants and other random things.  I think they had a pond...  :D Big Laff

Don't have the picture anymore, but it was a lot of fun Tongue

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 04:52:27 AM »

Old- -New

Lo
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 05:14:50 AM »

Kid Pix!

I made walkcycles for most the static characters in that. Especially the monsters, like the mummy and the Frankenstein...

However, I was doodling in OS/2 Warp's Paint tool long before that... God, I must have been about five at the time. I learned how to dither from studying the techniques used for the folder icons, among other icons. My massive quantities of pixel art from then are long gone now, though.

The best image I can provide due to all the data from my first three or four computers being gone is this, the first image in my Photobucket account. Nowhere near my first though, and definitely not one of my better works. I was maybe 13 at the time?

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 05:34:33 AM »

My first pixel stuff would be in Deluxe Paint 3 on the Amiga 600. I remember I used to do mockups of lemmings levels and stuff. I had a demo of Kid Pix, but I just spent most of my time in that stamping cutesy frog images everywhere then dynamiting the screen. Evil

Corpus
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »

This was my first attempt at pixel art:

Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »

I've been messing around in Paint since I was, like, five, but everything I did back then wasn't very good. I remember I made a ton of pixel art overusing the circle and rectangle tools and not having any shading. I had all the animations for a ton of characters (though none of them were any good, of course) and even included a couple stickmen because I thought stickmen were cool.

Of course, I haven't improved much since then, but I've gotten some more of the basics.
Seth
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 12:34:14 PM »

my first pixel art was when I was a kid and used MSpaint to zoom in and make an entire castle scene, made with guys who spread their legs out at 90 degree angles to stand. 

if i had any of my really old pieces I'd post them, but even the oldest I have now (8 or so years old) don't even begin to capture how bad I was back then
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »

This is basically my first pixel art. I don't count the Futurology fanarts.
Shawny
Level 5

<3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »

Aside from KidPix, I made a sprite of Bob-omb from Mario entirely out of circle tools. Lineart AND shading.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »

Blahh, I started pixelling while playing Graal Online 9 or so years ago. Nothing that old survived.
Here's a timeline:
First thing I submitted to PixelJoint: (hotlinked because I'm a lazy bastard)

First thing I posted on Pixelation:

1 Year ago (lineart by Arachne):

2 months ago:

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 04:11:23 PM »

where is the now?

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »

THERE IS NO NOW Outraged
Where are you, now? Not on AIM! Tongue

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »

I think most of my actual pixel art, outside of Kid Pix/MS Paint scribblings, started with Sim Life and the Sim City 2000 Urban Renewal Kit.  Then I went on to using the Urban Renewal Kit plus print screen to make graphics to make crappy add-ons for a game called "Creatures" and my early website attempts.

The website stuff still exists, but really creeps me out now so I won't post it.

After that, I didn't really do much pixel stuff until I got into Graal in 1999, and some of that still exists.  It's hardly any better than that Icee up there.  Then Graal started costing money.  Pretty much between 1997 and 2003, I had been bouncing between the Creatures series, Graal, Active Worlds, and some crappy RPGM2k project, never managing to complete any of my over-ambitious ideas, and then I got a scanner, attempted to do some webcomicing, and then discovered Flash and never did any pixelling until last month when I did this:

...but I still do everything vector or digital painting.

MrLollige
Level 0

Pixel artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 01:44:28 AM »

As far as I remember my first pixel art was this:

Now that I look at it.. it is not that bad at all  Hand Thumbs Up LeftUndecided Hand Shake Right

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 03:08:55 AM »

This
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »

Hah hah.  It sucks, but it was first.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 12:09:56 AM »

I remember KidPix. Me and my classmates had the whole KidPix studio at our school, although we only used drawing and slide show. We used the slide show in the most crazy ways too, although just for stick man DBZ fights. By setting the timer to 0 and having lots of frames we could make actual animation. Using the side swipe transition you could make a laser expand across the screen. Using scramble/fade (random pixels change very fast from one picture to the other) you could make people teleport. Ah, the fun we had! Now that I think about it, that was only 4 years ago. Seems like so far away though.
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2009, 01:20:02 PM »

That's very resourceful of you!

My first pixel art was.... something, ages ago.
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »

I must see it!

Pico
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2009, 06:08:55 AM »

These are the oldest i got. Done in 03 or 04. Cant remember which one is older  Crazy

whee
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic