Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 12:47:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSkullz 'n Skeletonz
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Skullz 'n Skeletonz  (Read 14669 times)
Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20:34 AM »

Heya!

Grant me one last post on those choices and then I wanna try switching this devlog up a bit to become an actual proper log of what's been going on with the game, dev session to dev session.

So, after putting mad thought into what choices to give the player where I'm fairly confident that I got what I want now.

You got your third person view:

LOOK gives you the option to examine particular parts of the scene in a more detailed first person view. In this case, just CROSSROADS.
TALK gives you the option to talk to whoever is in your vicinity, triggering a conversation with them. In this case that'd be YENDOR, the skeleton carrying you around.
USE gives you the option to use whatever object of interesting might be around you or in your hand. If there are none and you ain't got none, GO will be in third place.
GO lets you go somewhere else.

In general, you'll be doing stuff in third person, be it going somewhere, using something or talking to characters.

If you pick LOOK > CROSSROADS, you got your first person view:

LOOK will now give you the option to look at whatever object of interesting might be around you, like AREA, SNOW, SIGN POST.
TAKE unlocks once you've looked at something that might be worth picking up, making Yendor comment on whatever you want him to pick up and picking it up if he feels like it.
BACK takes you back to the third person view.

Generally, you'll gather stuff in first person, be it information or actual items.

That's just a general rough setup, though. You're probably gonna get into situations where there's an object clearly visible in the third person view and that scene having a TAKE but no USE even though it's third person or a first person in which a USE makes more sense than a TAKE, so these options will kinda mix and match around. Maybe I might have a TASTE or SMELL instead of a LOOK sometimes, who knows.

Though what's import is that without an EXAMINE or EXPLORE polluting the very simplistic and hopefully easy to understand options you're given, being replaced by LOOK and BACK respectively, this should make for a much more streamlined experience. I just wanna keep the options as straight-forward as possible, so that you wouldn't even have to think about what they would do, also omitting a MENU or INVENTORY option, because that's something you'd have to get acquainted with first and I'd like to avoid having any sort of tutorial.

The way I'm planning it, you won't ever have an inventory to manage no matter how many items you come across, as Yendor's got two hands to hold stuff with, you occupying one of which, leading to there never being any sort of inventory save for one or two items, which will be presented to you if you pick USE in the third person view.

Or, you know, after all that analyzing 'n stuff I could also just do it like this:

or this:

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:01:01 PM by Pizzamakesgames » Logged

Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »

I like how the LOOK command brings up a first person viewpoint, I don't think I've ever seen that in an adventure game of this style.

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2016, 03:11:43 PM »

Anyway, what did we do today?

- The text now moves down along with the textbox if it does the disappearing to the bottom thing. That's especially important for the main menu, where the textbox moves down while the text is still visible, which is mainly because I wanna pack the main menu full of all kinds of neat little things to entice the player a bit.
- Obviously rewrote the choice system again, here it is broken down in short:
LOOK triggers a screen transition to a closeup of wherever you are standing, there you have a choice of objects to look at.
TALK gives you a choice of all the characters in your vicinity and triggers a conversation with them.
ITEM has two subchoices, TAKE and USE. TAKE obviously puts any item into your hand to use elsewhere, while USE gives you a choice of every manipulatable item in the scene as well as in your hand, which will then be used accordingly.
GO lets you go to other scenes as well as different positions within a scene. LOOK, TALK and ITEM will be influenced by where you're standing in the scene.
- Added greyed out options along with revamping the choices. Any option you can't pick yet but will eventually be able to will be greyed out and unselectable, save for, say, items you bring into the scene from somewhere else.

Apart from that I stumbled upon Screen to Gif today, a super convenient gif recorder that saves me the trouble of recording to an .flv with OBS, transcoding that to an mp4 and importing that into photoshop to then export it as a gif. Cool!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 11:30:49 AM by Pizzamakesgames » Logged

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2016, 11:04:23 AM »

2016:11:24:19:49

what happened today:

- wrote up a bit more dialogue and fixed up the existing dialogue of the crossroads scene, will probably finish that up soon.
- fixed up yendor's position in the crossroads opener manually if you decide to drag the window around while it plays, freezing all game activity but the audio, to which end the progression is tied, as a precursor of possible problems to come.
- text will now automatically go back just one level if you select BACK (outside of a conversation), so USE > TAKE > BACK for example now takes you back to USE instead of the the root level.
- lasttext, the variable responsible for checking if the previous text displayed equals the next text to be displayed now also updates again after going back instead of just updating the text the first time to check if going back is in order or not. This oversight was responsible for the text highlights, which determine if a choice is all grey, light grey or white, updated wrongly on erasing when picking any option that didn't erase text before, like going TALK > and then LOOK in the crossroads state.
- Main Menu now has the textbox come in with the text already fully typed out instead of bringing up an empty textbox to then type the text in once it's locked into position.
- Tried setting up openfl's blendmodes or filters for possible palette swaps or cool transitions between scenes but failed at utilizing both. filters seem a bit too complicated to get into now while blendmodes just outright do not seem to work as advertised on the cpp target.

a couple things to do next:

- tie embedding images (and audio, if that wouldn't lead to a crash) to a release flag, so I'll have the assets folders for later reference on all backupped debug builds.
- tie crossroad's different openings (coming from snowwalk, coming from one of the other three directions) to a Reg.lastState var that always has the last state's name saved.
- clean up textbox.hx / typetext_pizzaedit.hx and all states
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:41:37 PM by Pizzamakesgames » Logged

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2016, 03:43:05 PM »

We also got a new song:

https://soundcloud.com/pizzamakesmusic/cyber-dungeon

Maybe for a Cyber Dungeon? I'd have to figure out what that is, but still.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2016, 10:08:30 AM »

Takin' it from the top!

New Devlog over here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58822.0

This one shall die, byebye.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic