Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411602 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 11:57:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSkullz 'n Skeletonz
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Skullz 'n Skeletonz  (Read 14677 times)
Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2016, 01:35:44 PM »

That means I'll try to solve the issue anyway, but will most likely just force fullscreen mode in order to guarantee a bug free experience. In my opinion, fullscreen mode is way cooler anyway. Here's a celebratory mock-up for the time being.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »

The new skull clashes  with the main character skull and is visually superior. Kind of wish to see every skeletons with the same artstyle.
Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2016, 03:31:35 AM »

Thanks for saying that! I had the skull already done from the previous game and was thinking the same thing when I just went with it for this mock-up. Was literally just thinking about how to change his design while making coffee.

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2016, 06:45:56 AM »

Agreed, the new skull looks great. I do like the green glow on the old one though, it could be neat to try and carry that over. Only being fullscreen is kind of a bummer, I like the look of this game a lot but prefer to play windowed. Have you tried starting a new HaxeFlixel project and gradually moving your code over to it until you find out whats broken?

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »

I thought bakkusa meant to make the new one (the black and white one) look more cartoonish like the old one. Either way, it'll work out well.

All of the issues I've been experiencing happen on any project, including completely clean ones that do nothing but play an .ogg file. It's a framework-side issue that I can do nothing about but bother people that are smarter than me.

Personally I prefer fullscreen, but also like to play windowed sometimes. Obviously this is subjective and having the possibility for both would be the best. Solving this issue is just beyond me, I'm continuously bothering the engine wizards about it though.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2016, 01:09:12 PM »

i said that the new one is superior, but every skull should keep the same artstyle otherwise it doesn't really work.
If you can switch all the characters to the new style while keeping the green glow as DangerMomentum  said, i think you'll get something way cooler but sounds like a huge work to put in.

Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »

I don't understand why you want the flash build so badly, if this is going to be a commercial game and all that.

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2016, 05:37:13 PM »

I don't want a flash build at all, when did I say that.

i said that the new one is superior, but every skull should keep the same artstyle otherwise it doesn't really work.
If you can switch all the characters to the new style while keeping the green glow as DangerMomentum  said, i think you'll get something way cooler but sounds like a huge work to put in.

Phew, I dunno if I can touch Yendor, he's become kind of a person. Something gotta happen though, we'll see what it'll be.

Hoj
Level 0

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2016, 02:41:42 AM »

How does this game play? Is it like Abe's Odyssey where you go to the edge of the screen to move onto the next? If so how are you going to make large worlds if you're using photographs?

Love the look of it, the world does look huge and epic compared to the player. Interesting. Blink

Please join our game design server on Discord: https://discord.gg/2vTggSz
Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »

How does this game play?

If you ever played the original Skullz, you'd have a pretty good grasp on how this will play.

Link to Skullz

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »

This looks really cool! Love the atmosphere. I'll have to check out the first one.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2016, 02:28:53 AM »

How does this game play? Is it like Abe's Odyssey where you go to the edge of the screen to move onto the next? If so how are you going to make large worlds if you're using photographs?

Love the look of it, the world does look huge and epic compared to the player. Interesting. Blink

You control your actions by selecting text commands in the bottom window. Sometimes the screens will scroll, sometimes they'll transition to the next at the edge. It's a traditional adventure, so you can imagine the transitions to act out much in the same way as with Monkey Island or similar.

Making large world using photographs will be no problem. For example, the blueish cliff at the top there is a minuscule area of a piece of wall, with the orange part being a photo of Las Vegas' skyline (Just for the mock-up, all in-game visuals will be shot by me). Stitching photos together or extending them with drawings would also be no problem.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2016, 02:05:57 PM »

Window mode is back, by the way. Turns out using the more recent "next" branch of OpenFL solved almost all of the sound issues.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2016, 10:57:09 AM »

Still abroad doing mockups with the little ressources I have.

Hey there, finally got time to pick up from this mockup and keep on developing the game, and in less than a year, too!

Expect regular updates from here on out. Beer!

Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2016, 11:04:55 AM »

oh boy skullz n skeletonz is back bby

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »

Heya, been making lots of progress, though mostly on the backend side of things.

Couldn't decide between a plain or dithered style for the game's scenes, so I made a little comparison picture:

What do you think?

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

The mind behind Mainasutto

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »

Wow, looks pretty good!

|| Steam || Twitter || Discord ||
Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »

Anybody ready to talk some serious game design?

I've been putting a lot of thought into minimizing everything just so, in order for the player not to constantly be presented with options that did nothing.

We got our first simple scene in first person, where you can LOOK at stuff or LISTEN and have the option to TALK to your main character, you being the skull he's carrying around. This scene is supposed to give you a little introduction as to how the controls work and works well considering the problem I'm about to get to.

Once you talk to your buddy, his portrait slides in and he says whatever he's got to say.

Now we got our third person scene.

You pick EXAMINE -> CROSSROADS and you're here:

Now for the problem:
I was gonna split the commands you get between third and first person, with the third person scenes always having an EXAMINE to go into first person for the particular spot you're standing at and a GO to go to another spot.
The first person scene holds LOOK instead of the third, so you can actually see for yourself whatever is being looked at instead of everything being about as small as a single pixel.
It holds TALK cause there's gonna be other characters to talk to in third person, so TALK in first person is always talking to your buddy guy and TALK in third is always him talking to other characters.
Then we got TAKE in the first person cause that's also where you LOOK at stuff, which ends up unlocking TAKE upon finding something of interest.
And with EXPLORE, to go back to third person, we got our 4 options full.
But what if I want to USE something that I picked up? Dunno, we're out of space.
On top of that, I want to have a fullscreen menu which I hope is okay to only be able to bring up in third person, cause that's where I have room for some more commands, but with a TALK for other characters, we also got our 4 options full here.

What do we do? Hide the TAKE behind ITEM and put USE in there as well? possibly. Any other ideas? Thanks for reading, possibly replying and hope you like what you see so far.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »

Ultimately went with these as the 2x4 available choices, seperated between third and first person for the regular gameplay of the game. save for boss fights in 3rd and cutscene-like scenes in 1st person.

Greyeing out options that have no possible subchoice to avoid having to, like, check TAKE in every scene you go cause there could be something to pick up. No scene with nothing to LOOK at either and always gonna be able to USE any item from your inventory too, so that will also probably never be greyed out. Same for EXPLORE as that takes you back to the third person scene "on top".
For the third person, EXAMINE will never be greyed out as wherever you stop, you'll be able to check out the place you're standing at in first person. You can always TALK to Yendor is there's nobody else around. You'll always be able to GO somewhere other then where you are right now and you'll always have access to your MENU as well.

But then again, I kinda don't wanna be stuck with just thee 8 options for all of the game. Oh boy.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2016, 05:35:18 AM »

Finally found a use for those pebbles.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic