Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 02:56:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Painter's Apprentice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Painter's Apprentice  (Read 1005 times)
luminosityllc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2016, 05:04:36 PM »

Hey all, I'm the lead designer of The Painter's Apprentice. In the game you play as an apprentice painter and you find yourself trapped inside your mentor's painting. You'll need to defeat enemy paint blobs and travel through 8 different art styles in order to find your way back home.

We've been working on this game for quite some time and now that we've made some progress we wanted to show off the game to you guys. Here are some before and after pictures:

Before

After

And some GIFs of some of our gameplay:

We're working on a lot of AI at the moment and adding in some fun gameplay mechanics. We'll be posting some more pictures and updates in this thread. Let us know what you think!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:00:36 PM by jazz1m » Logged
luminosityllc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »

We've made some more updates! We decided to get rid of our in-game store and replace it with a perks system. You collect paintings by artists in that art style and then unlock more hearts or increased damage. When you collect them all not only do you get the perk, you also unlock an encyclopedia entry on the artist to learn more about them.

Emma Larkins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 07:32:53 AM »

Ahhh, love it!

luminosityllc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:27:57 AM »

Hey all, it's been quite a while since the last time we've updated! We're still working hard on The Painter's Apprentice a lot of backend stuff so not much to show here. With that said. Here's an image of one of the art styles we have in game. It's based on Impressionism.

We went the route of original backgrounds instead of using famous paintings as the artwork you explore is by one of our characters. It allows us to experiment with different styles while also keeping the artwork consistent throughout the game. We're quite proud how they all turned out and we're excited to show them all to you.
luminosityllc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »

Hey all! Can't believe it's been 6 months since our last post! We've been working hard on The Painter's Apprentice and just launched a Kickstarter and Steam campaign. It'd be great if you could give it a look and vote/pledge.

We've been building out some other levels and also added in a fun new element - color combining!

And a new enemy - the butterfly blob

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 03:18:46 PM »

Not very fond of the artstyle. You have this promise about the artstyle and you can see it a bit in the backgrounds, which looks kind of impressionist (is that the name of the style?) but then you get clunky-looking squares for the actual level, which clashes a lot visually.
Maybe you could try to polish it until it matches the overall style?

Also not sure if UI is final, but right now I don't like it very much. Same as before. I guess they're placeholders. At least they seem like it. Specially that (paint?) bar, which right now seems like a tribal tattoo.

That's my sincere opinion. But good luck with the project! I'd focus on the visual looks if you ask me! (:

Check the devlog for MONSTER PROM
And follow us on TWITTER
luminosityllc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 06:48:11 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, could you provide examples as to what you think the tiles should look like? We're pretty far along so not sure if it's really possible to change it out. Are you thinking more in line with the tiles from Braid?
luminosityllc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »

Some new updates. We've added in some parallaxing to our levels to give it a bit more oomph. We've also updated the little blob so it stands out more and plan on doing this for all the blobs so they don't melt into the background.

Check out the GIFs below:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic