Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411603 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 01:31:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOblivion Genesis - Competitive RPG / Visual Novel - GM Studio
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Oblivion Genesis - Competitive RPG / Visual Novel - GM Studio  (Read 873 times)
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »

This Is Our Current Dev Log. I Suppose It Was Time We...

I have a bad habit with keeping up dev logs, but this time is different! I'll be mirroring my posts on https://twitter.com/Teslohan, so feel free to drop a comment if you would like to provide feedback. I'll mostly be covering the intricacies of getting Gamemaker Studio Pro (latest beta version) to cooperate to the necessary level of quality needed to produce a HQ multi-platform game.

Setting up naming conventions for Scripts, GM's method for creating user-designed functions.
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:55:07 PM »

Keep your naming convention for files and folder names consistent between Sprites and Objects.
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:27:52 PM »

What it looks like when I'm coding on my main display. I like to have the console handy, and use Show_Debug_Message over simply using the built-in Debug Mode, which for me has only been partially useful.
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »

You'd be surprised how much faster it is to use functions in your object's events, instead of the beginner-friendly Drag-N-Drop. I use my Event Controller (ev) class to handle my objects' sub routines.
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:01:14 PM »

Do you want nausea? This is how you get nausea. o_O
I forgot to center the sprite origin when applying the rotation to my visual effects!
tankorsmash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:54:57 PM »

What sort of theme with your story deal with?

Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 10:33:32 PM »

What sort of theme will your story deal with?

Oblivion Genesis takes place in a rich fantasy world where myric (magic) is commonplace and incorporated into many aspects of society. Myren (A humanoid being who wields myric) band together and form guilds, which are ran by powerful myren known as "Sage". Some guilds are so immense, they take up entire towns, cities and even nations! The basis of myric is rooted in the element "Myre" which is believed to be the first matter ever to be created in Rontessa. (Their universe)

It was undeniable that myre was very much apart of their natural world. Much like carbon, it was found in many organic and inorganic materials. It's commonly believed that spiritual energy also contains myre, an incorporeal substance called etheria. Etheria is a translucent plasma-like material: it's how spirits manifest and interact with the realm's inhabitants.

There are five humanoid beings who were once believed to be ordinary myren, but ascended to the level of godhood. They were believed to be the epitome of myren evolution, perfection incarnate. They were called Myridians, and their understanding of myre was absolute.

There was a powerful group known as the Guild of Peacekeepers, their Sage was the first myren to attain the title of Prophet. Krysentin, now the definitive high-priestess of Rontessa, would go on to form the Church of Myre, an organization that used its connections with the Myridians to form an unstoppable matriarchy. Within the Peacekeepers were a band of high-ranking mercenaries known as the Ardent Sentinels. Many of them are stationed at the numerous shrines erected to honor their divine rulers.

You play as a young grexian woman named Fesa Bladecaller, a myren trained by her adoptive father Larx. He was also the Sage of Firebolt, a scholar's guild that published educational tomes for aspiring myren wishing to master the arcane. Fesa was one of his disciples, the other was a young lad by the name of Malon Mythwalker. However, Fesa was a rebellious youth and had a notorious reputation. Malon, on the other hand, was a renowned prodigy and frequently bathed in the adoration of his peers, eventually gaining the title of Lord.

Malon was a faithful paladin of the church. He was almost old enough to join the Ardent Sentinels, and his cohorts thought he would become their most famous one. Fesa was a quick learner, but her accolades would never be acknowledged by the public. That's because the protagonist herself is an atheist, and holds resentment for the supposed gods watching over them.

One day, Fesa is summoned by her father to deliver an artifact to Malon, for a prophecy had just come to pass. Malon had to take the relic on a holy quest, blessing it at five specific shrines before its myrical seals would release. Even though Fesa wanted nothing to do with the church, she begrudgingly follows the Lord in hopes of proving she was more worthy of having his prestigious title. They were close friends, and much closer rivals.

Upon reaching the fifth shrine, the two encounter a Myridan for the first time in their lives. Fesa is dumbstruck, struggling with her conflicting feelings and insisting the man who appeared before them was no god - just a powerful myren like them. The man scoffs and promptly executes the player for their heresy...

Fesa awakes from her eternal rest in an expansive abyss. Here she meets a man named Dalliser, who claims to be her otherworldly guardian. Dalliser has the power to send her into alternate universes where she hasn't died. When she leaves, she'll take all of her memories and knowledge with her. He explains that the worlds are not exactly identical, and she's to expect slight variance between them.

Fesa needles Dalliser for answers, wishing to know why a being with his power would waste it on a heretic like her. He tells her that the Myridians used to be great allies of his, but fell victim to their own arrogance. He insists that despite their age (thousands of Rontessan years) they were, in fact, mortal just like everyone else. Fesa announces that she doesn't care about his motives, she simply wants revenge for what the Myridian did to her.

The myren awakes in her "past" once more, quickly coming to her senses on the day Larx summoned her to deliver the relic to Malon. This time when she meets up with her friend, she lies about possessing the relic. She deceives Malon and sends him in the opposite direction. Meanwhile, Fesa makes her way to the Shrine of Healing, where she uses the heirloom's summoning myric to forces an appearance with Adalace, one of their supposed goddesses.

Fesa was going to discover the truth, no matter how many lives it takes!

This is an original portrait made by myself. Our studio currently has three developers, all of which are artists. Fesa is a strong female lead, albeit a bit of a tomboy. Malon has romantic interests in her stemming from a childhood crush, but she never reciprocates them. She does get a kick out of toying with his emotions though, possibly rooted in her own jealously.
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 03:59:22 AM »

A small update, got the Log to show up, and text is snapping / drawing as well.
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »

Finished the "Start" phase, as you can see, the menu is changing color based on the selection made by the player.
tankorsmash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 07:29:35 PM »

What happened to all your images?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic