Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 06:04:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPublic Toilet DELUXE - A Theme Toilet Management Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Public Toilet DELUXE - A Theme Toilet Management Game  (Read 2006 times)
ilianasstuff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2016, 03:38:09 AM »

Public Toilet DELUXE   is a simulation management game in the style of Theme Hospital. The twist is that instead of hospitals you manage public toilets!

Buy sinks and toilets, hire cleaners and bouncers, make money and hope your business doesn't fall to pieces! Additionally learn about historical sanitation practices along the way with a fine selection of toilet info-tainment. The game is set in 3 different eras - historical Constantinople, modern day Europe and finally an asteroid belt futuristic space station.

With our game we aim to capture the charm of 90s management games such as Theme Hospital but also pimp up the graphics with some unique Polly Pocket style cuteness.

Make public toilets great again!

Who are we?

We are Bits of Beards! We are Iliana and James and we live in the middle of nowhere, UK. Our days consist of pestering farm sheep, riding bikes, typing codes and pulling vertices. We also have a suuuper cool musician helping us all the way from Latvia http://kodek.eu/

Iliana's twitter: https://twitter.com/ilianasstuff
James' twitter: https://twitter.com/bitsbeardsgames

Where are we now?

We are more than halfway through the development. The game initially started as a 3D game but we needed to increase performance and make sure we can have hundreds of customers going to the toilet at the same time, so we switched to super smooth crisp 2D sprite renders of our 3D models.

Currently the core of the game is complete. We have the pathfinding, we have customers having their needs(pep pep and pap pap), going to toilets, washing their hands and spending money! We also have unexpected sewage system explosions in place. We are busy designing levels, tweaking numbers and polishing the User Interface. We are also planning our Kickstarter campaign which is due in about a month that would allow us to pay our software licences and pay our musician.  

What next?

After (or during) our Kickstarter we plan on having a closed beta. PM me if you are interested and would like to try the game out! After that its Greenlight and so on. Hopefully the game will be up on Steam in a few months and we can share our toilet dad jokes with the world!

I hope you find the game interesting, and we are looking forward to your comments, suggestions and questions. We know the game is about toilets and some of you might think we are goofers for doing this, but we really don't mind. Bring on the feedback!

Thank you for your time and thank you for reading this wall of text!
Peace!

http://bitsofbeards.co.uk/

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:40:13 AM by ilianasstuff » Logged

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 04:23:42 AM »

... are they manatees??

They're very charming  Gentleman

ilianasstuff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 06:46:18 AM »

Thank you! They were supposed to be dinosaurs but ended us as some sort of dinosaur/manatee hybrid!  Smiley

jesseb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 07:33:23 AM »

looks interesting, but where are the toilets??
RobertGameDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »

looks interesting, but where are the toilets??

#toiletgate

j/k. Really cool!
ilianasstuff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 01:04:03 AM »

Oh dear, I forgot to include some toilets! Here is some:

ilianasstuff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:39:44 AM »

Hi all, Iliana here!

Its been a few months and I feel its time for an update. We added a lot of game features and Public Toilet DELUXE is finally starting to look and play like a game!

We also now have fully working space environment woo! In space no one can hear you *ahem* f.a.r.t.

Beware Facebook and Twitter because there is a new social media in town! It's called Faceslap and its for strictly toilet related posts! With Faceslap the player can finally find out what the toilet visitors and employees actually think about them and their managerial skills.

We fixed a lot of bugs but we also created a lot of new ones...

Aside from working 12 hours a day and playing games all night, we have also been talking to publishers quite a lot. Needless to say toilet humour and dad jokes don't always go down very well. Ah well, we can do it on our own if we need to! We are starting to feel the gamedev fatigue but since we are more than halfway through we are motivated to keep it up and finish the game so that everyone can play it!

For more frequent updates please follow my personal twitter https://twitter.com/ilianasstuff.
Or follow our company's twitter https://twitter.com/bitsbeardsgames which is actually ran by James who likes to lurk in the shadows.

Wingz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:21:18 PM »

the idea is so gross but the aesthetic is so good
conflicted
ilianasstuff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »

Thanks! We hope people would compromise and play a gross game that looks kind of nice!

ambo100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 07:25:29 AM »

We are more than halfway through the development. The game initially started as a 3D game but we needed to increase performance and make sure we can have hundreds of customers going to the toilet at the same time, so we switched to super smooth crisp 2D sprite renders of our 3D models.

This isn't something I'd normally expect to read in a Dev Log...

I worry there might be a limit to the amount of gameplay you can have, but I wish you lucky anyway.

How about designing the newsfeed as a toilet roll. As you swipe down to view more comments the toilet roll gets smaller?
ilianasstuff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 07:28:26 AM »

Yep, we weren't exactly excited about switching to 2d, but it turns out there is a limit on how many baked animations you can have playing in realtime. Using skeletal animations didn't help either, it still was too performance heavy. I really don't know how games like Total War do it. 2D also has its drawbacks but we are working around them Smiley

As for the gameplay, just think of it as a business simulation. Only difference we are not selling burgers but stocking toilet rolls instead.

I like your idea about the toilet roll and I have been struggling with the newsfeed design so I might think about it!

_glitch
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 07:43:01 AM »

This idea is just awesome! Beer!
ilianasstuff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 07:07:27 AM »

Thanks a lot! Smiley
Here is a little video of some background experiments I have been working on in the past few days:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic