Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411827 Posts in 69417 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: majigames

May 30, 2024, 11:51:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWORMBALL ~ PINBALL MEETS SNAKE
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: WORMBALL ~ PINBALL MEETS SNAKE  (Read 1403 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2016, 09:28:56 AM »

Hey Folks,

It's a little late posting it, but at the weekend I developed WORMBALL, a pinball snake mashup using Stencyl. Here's the brief, GIF heavy summary of development:

Basic Ball and Flipper Mechanics. (Originally set out to build a pinball game with tower defence mechanics).

OH GOD THAT WASN'T MEANT TO HAPPEN

Whilst creating particle trails, made a worm. Enthusiasm explodes for the project.

Added some bumpers and googly eyes that follow the player, as well as the beginning of collectables that the worm can eat.

Added a spawn, score, stamina for the paddles (To stop the hoarding of collectables) and made the bumpers release pellets.

Added decals and an overlay - Failed miserably to implement a camera that panned in time with the height of the player smoothly.

Opted for a static camera, added health and hunger, along with portals. Opted for a more modest less blinding font.

Switched the collectables to a more distinct colour, added icons for hunger and life. Added worm shake, title page and controls.

Added decay to the brain bumpers to reduce the torrent of collectables, added instead poppable spots and harsher paddle stamina.

Other than that, I've got a tablet version working and just need music and sound doing!
If you're interested in finding out when WORMBALL is released, keep an eye on my Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/alexvscoding

Once the browser version is released, I'll be taking the phone/tablet version further with more levels and mechanics, as well as building a custom cabinet to play the game with.

WORMBALL Was developed as part of the Stencyl Jam, a game jam for users of Stencyl. Stencyl is a games development tool that combines the simple code structure of Scratch with the ability to export. Check it out here some more here: http://stencyl.com/

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:31:54 AM »

I love pinball. This looks fantastic.

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 03:19:27 PM »

I love pinball. This looks fantastic.

Thanks! I'll be building a acrylic lasercut pinball cabinet to hold the game the way god intended pinball to be played (He says in a game where the ball is a worm). I'll make sure to post some updates as that develops.

I'm looking forward to posting more up about WORMBALL, for now I'll be posting the browser build then I'll have to focus for the next two weeks getting another App of mine, Narcissus shipped to bring in some revenue and get the project out of my hair. Once that's done, this is absolutely the project I want to push forward with next - Get 4 or 5 different levels, unlockable worm types and additional obstacles and traps/powerups. I'll be aiming for a couple of month turnaround compared to previous projects, I've got the workflow down for releasing Apps more or less figured out now, so aiming to pump them out pretty quick now that the majority of the mechanics are functional (The fact that WORMBALL got done in a weekend hopefully gives you an idea of the timescale!)

Keep an ear to the ground for more stuff soon!

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 03:30:14 PM »

Awesome. I hope to see more hardware games by indies in the future. I've seen Narcissus on these forums (maybe on Twitter?). You speak of shipping & getting revenue very confidently.. how did you manage that, marketing-wise?

P.S. https://alexvscoding.itch.io/narcissus in your sig 404s

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 03:24:15 AM »

Awesome. I hope to see more hardware games by indies in the future. I've seen Narcissus on these forums (maybe on Twitter?). You speak of shipping & getting revenue very confidently.. how did you manage that, marketing-wise?

P.S. https://alexvscoding.itch.io/narcissus in your sig 404s

Thanks for the heads up with itch! I'm currently doing some renovations, should be sorted within the week. Hardware wise, a great website to check out for that is http://shakethatbutton.com/

As for my shipping/marketing, I've been developing the game on and off for around 4 years and over that time have accumulated a decent number of reviews from press for the game, reviews that I can point the Apple team to upon submission as a stamp of quality. I'm heading to a mobile event next week where there will be reps from Apple and since the game is in a finished state, there's a good chance of it being picked up. Failing that, I've got a couple of other contacts I've picked up at Apple elsewhere that I can reach out to.

There's also the factor of regional features - By translating the game into 14 different languages, it increases my probability of getting a feature in these regions (The Apple Store is split into various parts of the globe).

After talking with some other developers who regularly release Apps to the store (Who've each had multiple features in the past), I changed my monetisation method from premium to Ad based since it massively increases your user base. To give a rough idea of the comparison, one of the teams had over a million downloads (From which to display Ads to) but only 400 purchases of the "Disable Ads" function.

Quite a few developers who take the paid option for their game do a "Free Game of the Week" feature and see their downloads balloon, but realistically they don't see any of they revenue from that feature. Possibly afterwards from the press/popularity of it, but it's a bit like handing out Steam Keys to your game as a feature to get people to buy your game - It does direct traffic towards your product but if you'd implemented Ad based options you could've made money from that traffic.

Finally, as a one man team, I don't need to make a vast amount of money to justify the next project - For every £1200 I make from Narcissus, that's a month of time I can dedicate to games development. My workflow is a lot faster than it used to be (Can kick products out on a 3 month cycle), so once I nail the first feature future ones should be easier and in turn I can make money from features more often.

Despite my thorough distaste for the result of Brexit, the pound is currently very weak against the dollar so I'll make more money than I would've if I'd stuck to my previous plan and launched earlier in the year:

Pre-Brexit = $100 I'd make £60
Post-Brexit = $100 I'd make £80

To be honest, the project still has a chance of flopping - The success of the project hinges on an App Store Feature, but having done the desktop release for the game (Which flopped catastrophically) I've learnt a lot of lessons (For one targeting the wrong platform, Narcissus is in my opinion a mobile game by design and a PC game second, despite it first finding it's ground on Flash Portals). I'll write an article on the comparison between the two releases at some point once the game is released for iOS.

Hope this answers your question!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »

Hey Folks,

WORMBALL is now live, you can either check it out on Gamejolt, itch.io or Newgrounds!

https://alexvscoding.itch.io/wormball

http://gamejolt.com/games/wormball/197205

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/682781

I'll be doing some updates once Narcissus is shipped on getting a phone version developed, so stay tuned for that!

lobstersteve
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »

The idea is fun, already saw you on twitter Smiley
Are you still making changes to this version?
..because it really bugs me, how everything has this clean minimalstic style, but the bumpers on top have a texture. It kinda breaks the consistency in an otherwise pretty artstyle..
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 02:19:28 AM »

This is such a neat little concept! I love anything snake. Played for a while, really lovely set up and the itch page is so crisp!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 07:02:20 AM »

The idea is fun, already saw you on twitter Smiley
Are you still making changes to this version?
..because it really bugs me, how everything has this clean minimalstic style, but the bumpers on top have a texture. It kinda breaks the consistency in an otherwise pretty artstyle..

Haha, yeah, I've been getting that gripe from a couple of people (The brain bumpers used to be circles which didn't fit at all with the theme). Once Narcissus is shipped next month, I'll be taking this game forwards in development. The current build of WORMBALL was made in 3 days, so there's still plenty of work to update it!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:10:43 AM »

I like the idea too.

I agree that the extra texture on the blocks seems not to fit too well with the minimalist style of the rest of the game.  But, my main issue would be with the 3d shapes that the ball can go behind them.  Maybe because the game has a minimalist style, I was expecting a 2d type pinball game and have the ball collide with any shape.  But I kinda got used to that after a while.  However, for consistency, it would be better to use the same color for solid objects - i.e. since the flippers are blue, other blue objects/shapes should also be solid. 

I was going to ask it on your other game's devlog but is applicable here too.  Wouldn't it make more sense to release Flash version at the same time as the mobile versions?  That way, people who like the game could "take it on the road" with mobile devices.  Or if the mobile versions aren't ready, them mention in the game that mobile versions are going to be released and have links where people can follow information regarding those.

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 01:49:27 AM »

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/01/best-free-games-of-the-week-36/#more-409631

Hey Folks,

WORMBALL got a mention in RPS for best free PC games of the week! Here's what they said:

"Pinball is dead, long live wormball. The worm is bouncing around the face of this ghoul, trying to eat as many bits of pimple residue as it can. Slap him back up into the ghoul’s face with the paddles and try to be the best at everything. Purple diamond-shaped spots burst into delicious worm snacks, and eyes shudder when the worm bounces off them. Red holes in the face allow the worm to travel through and go back to the forehead. Hit the space bar to shake the ghoul and cheat fate. It’s everything you love about pinball, except 100% more disgusting and with dancey music included."

I like the idea too.

I agree that the extra texture on the blocks seems not to fit too well with the minimalist style of the rest of the game.  But, my main issue would be with the 3d shapes that the ball can go behind them.  Maybe because the game has a minimalist style, I was expecting a 2d type pinball game and have the ball collide with any shape.  But I kinda got used to that after a while.  However, for consistency, it would be better to use the same color for solid objects - i.e. since the flippers are blue, other blue objects/shapes should also be solid. 

I was going to ask it on your other game's devlog but is applicable here too.  Wouldn't it make more sense to release Flash version at the same time as the mobile versions?  That way, people who like the game could "take it on the road" with mobile devices.  Or if the mobile versions aren't ready, them mention in the game that mobile versions are going to be released and have links where people can follow information regarding those.

Thanks for some more feedback! One of the issues of the game is the lack of texture to give perception of depth - The blue overlays (That might have been perceived as collide-able) could do with a different texture to the underlying game. I'm going to be experimenting in the near future with some filter effects to enhance the aesthetics of the game, I'll let you know how they go once I pick back up development with it!

I've had some ideas for maps to produce, the doodles I did are somewhere but here's the gist of it:
Gorgon: Intertwined Snakes that act as tunnels to different sections of the table, eyes that turn the worm to stone if collided with.
Frank: Frankenstein Monster where hitting metal components in the head add extra features to the board (Additional paddles, side bumpers) and potentially some traps.
Sharkman: Wide row of teeth that have to be knocked out to reveal the juicy gums to feast on. Gills can be travelled through to to get above the teeth and trigger a Peggle-esque effect.

I'm not sure if there's going to be purely monster themed ones or whether I want different worlds and sections to the game. I'd like to think that this might be the final boss sections and the other parts of the game might have other themes. Once again, I'll keep doodling down ideas and come back to you with more at some point!

Regarding the decision to release the Flash version now, it might have made more sense to release the Flash version later, but the game itself was made for a game jam, thus I wanted to contribute my game to the mix. With Narcissus I'm in a similar predicament where I released the original game years ago, but I'm only now releasing the phone version. To cater for this, I'm going to be releasing a final pass version of the flash game as an update for the original, matching the content (25 levels) but with the extra polish. Thankfully having released it such a long time ago, it has quite a few followers on various portals and has amassed over 100k plays. The main issue I have is making sure there's a link to the final game in the flash version (Which I can't do yet since the storefronts aren't live!) so I can direct new traffic to the App, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. I'll probably do a similar thing with WORMBALL when the time comes for release.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »

Re-releasing the updated version(s) of the Flash version is a good idea.

Also, instead of hard coding the various storefront links, what about having forwarding links.  If you use the Newgroupds API, you can set that up but there are many other options (e.g. bit.ly).  Plus, you can also track how many people clicked the links and compare to actual purchases.

Grapple Bug
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »

This looks so cool.

Follow me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/WotenDX
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic