Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411610 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 01:37:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 739819 times)
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1920 on: March 17, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »

positive X axis
Oh I think I see what you are getting at now. You mean it should say "the point (x,y)", not "the point y/x", which is meaningless, but at best would lose the distinction between (-1,-1) and (1,1)?
increpare
« Reply #1921 on: March 17, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »

positive X axis
Oh I think I see what you are getting at now. You mean it should say "the point (x,y)", not "the point y/x", which is meaningless, but at best would lose the distinction between (-1,-1) and (1,1)?
The weird point notation isn't what I was getting at either (though, acknowledged, it is weird). It's the distinction between measuring the angle between a vector and the x axis (=angle between a vector and whichever of (-1,0) or (1,0) it hits first when rotating) and the angle between a vector and the positive x-axis (which is the angle between a vector and (1,0)).
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1922 on: March 17, 2011, 07:11:01 PM »

I don't think it's unreasonable to see the x-axis as having a direction. It's, say, the span of a certain basis vector, and so you can sometimes use it as shorthand for that vector.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1923 on: March 17, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »

why the fuck does xcode 4 cost $4.99 now? lameeeee
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1924 on: March 17, 2011, 07:22:46 PM »

why the fuck does xcode 4 cost $4.99 now? lameeeee
It's ok though, you don't actually want to use xcode 4

Speaking of which: IT TURNS OUT THERE'S ACTUALLY AN XCODE 3.2+IPHONE SDK 4.3 BUILD ON APPLE'S WEBSITE! The link just isn't very obvious. I am so incredibly happy about this. I would post this in the happy programmer room but I'm only just happy about something that's had me grumpy for a weak, ceasing, so I'm not sure that counts.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1925 on: March 17, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »

Speaking of which: IT TURNS OUT THERE'S ACTUALLY AN XCODE 3.2+IPHONE SDK 4.3 BUILD ON APPLE'S WEBSITE! The link just isn't very obvious. I am so incredibly happy about this. I would post this in the happy programmer room but I'm only just happy about something that's had me grumpy for a weak, ceasing, so I'm not sure that counts.

ya i've been downloading it for the past 2 hours. Im not sure why apple cant release a 500mb patch instead of a 4.1gb full install for every point upgrade
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1926 on: March 17, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »

ya i've been downloading it for the past 2 hours. Im not sure why apple cant release a 500mb patch instead of a 4.1gb full install for every point upgrade
It's possible moving to the mac app store (and thus costing $5) will allow them to do just this!

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1927 on: March 18, 2011, 09:07:41 PM »

ever since getting back from gdc my computer has been powering off randomly (no warning, no attempt to restart) (after an hour or 2 of being on, sometimes longer, sometimes less, sometimes when under heavy load, sometimes not)

What I've tested that isn't the problem
-CPU/GPU temperatures (are normal at times of shutdown)
-RAM (windows memory test works fine, intel burn test returns consistent results)
-Surge protector (different power strip same issues)
-Windows (recovered windows to a pre-gdc stable version, same issues)
-Dust

What I assume isn't the problem
-GPU (i've seen GPU crashes and failures before this is nothing like it)
-CD drive (why would it)

What I haven't tested yet
-PSU (waiting for a psu tester to arrive)
-Motherboard (dont even know how i'd check this, resetting CMOS didn't help)
-Harddrive (seems to work fine though in general)

What I think is most likely
-PSU (most googling indicates this as the issue, need to test to be sure)
-Very odd possibility of all the loose wires in my case shorting out / accidentally pressing the motherboard's power button (though i dont think so)

extremely frustrating and has been making me ragequit work this past week a lot.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1928 on: March 18, 2011, 09:48:09 PM »

XCode 4-- I was gonna try to compile one thing, real quick, before I uninstalled it-- appears to be barring me from naming a variable "check", and at one point, appeared to actually give an error on a line containing a comment containing the word "check".

Is this a... has anyone ever seen this in GCC/LLVM before?

Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: March 19, 2011, 12:06:05 AM »

I've been using Xcode 4 for awhile now and I've never seen anything like that. I just tested with a small project changing a variable to 'check' and it worked. What is the exact error it's giving you?
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1930 on: March 19, 2011, 12:54:47 AM »

I've been using Xcode 4 for awhile now and I've never seen anything like that. I just tested with a small project changing a variable to 'check' and it worked. What is the exact error it's giving you?
Hm.

The exact error was

Code:
/Users/mcc/work/jumpcore2/desktop/../controls.h:164: error: declaration does not declare anything

Line 164 was the "void check" here:

Code:
class CheckGroup {
public:
CheckControl *checked;
    void check(CheckControl *me);
};

But when I dumped that in a file with an int main and compiled it by itself with g++, it worked fine.

Meanwhile for whatever reason XCode was coloring the word "check" brown, like it was special; and google turns up a mailing list post (with no resolution) with someone having the same problem, in their case while compiling Boost, also on a field named check. I assume "check" is getting #defined special somewhere, and I assume (since g++ by itself worked) it's because of something special that somehow got turned on in my project file.

The really weird thing is I am pretty certain I compiled this same project with XCode 4 just a couple days ago and this did not happen (though the first time may not have been a clean build?).

Anyway, the mystery will have to go unsolved as XCode 4 is now, for unrelated reasons, uninstalled

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1931 on: March 19, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »

Meanwhile for whatever reason XCode was coloring the word "check" brown, like it was special;

IIRC brown = macro in xcode, what file are you including?
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1932 on: March 19, 2011, 11:52:05 AM »

Well  in my g++ test I tried to include more or less the same standard headers... but I'd have to include basically my whole program to be sure.

Anyway I can't really debug it at this point, I downgraded to XCode 3 and the problem went away...

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1933 on: March 19, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »

Simplifying a bit here but:

- Can't test my code on the android emulator because the android emulator doesn't support an fpu
- Can't test my code on a device because only the android emulator supports os version 2.3!

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 19, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »

ever since getting back from gdc my computer has been powering off randomly (no warning, no attempt to restart) (after an hour or 2 of being on, sometimes longer, sometimes less, sometimes when under heavy load, sometimes not)

What I've tested that isn't the problem
-CPU/GPU temperatures (are normal at times of shutdown)
-RAM (windows memory test works fine, intel burn test returns consistent results)
-Surge protector (different power strip same issues)
-Windows (recovered windows to a pre-gdc stable version, same issues)
-Dust

What I assume isn't the problem
-GPU (i've seen GPU crashes and failures before this is nothing like it)
-CD drive (why would it)

What I haven't tested yet
-PSU (waiting for a psu tester to arrive)
-Motherboard (dont even know how i'd check this, resetting CMOS didn't help)
-Harddrive (seems to work fine though in general)

What I think is most likely
-PSU (most googling indicates this as the issue, need to test to be sure)
-Very odd possibility of all the loose wires in my case shorting out / accidentally pressing the motherboard's power button (though i dont think so)

extremely frustrating and has been making me ragequit work this past week a lot.
you said you checked dust, have you checked dust in your PSU's fan? I had this problem and I think I either cleaned out the dust from the psu and it worked, or I just replaced it.

My problem was pretty much the same as what your saying, around 2 hours and it cuts out, but it got more and more frequent for me.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1935 on: March 19, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »

you said you checked dust, have you checked dust in your PSU's fan? I had this problem and I think I either cleaned out the dust from the psu and it worked, or I just replaced it.

the can of air i had ran out as i was dusting the psu, ill try again once amazon delivers my new case of air. I'm afraid to open the psu cause it would void the warranty (comp is only 5 months old) and cause of the risk of electrical shock from the capacitors.

tests from today:
- same issue occurs in safe mode (left it on last night in safe mode, was off today)
- running it with the case open and spare wires hanging out instead of tucked away let me use it for about 5 hours before I had to sleep it and go home, possibly mitigated the issue but i wont know for sure till i go and use it all day tomorrow
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:31:58 PM by Glaiel-Gamer » Logged
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1936 on: March 20, 2011, 01:12:41 AM »

Oh geez maybe it's just because it's 2 AM but this EGLConfig / EGLChooseConfig thing seems baffling

I'm being given a list of four configurations to choose between and I have no idea how to tell the difference between them

Meanwhile when I try to draw it's letting me glClear the screen to whatever color I want, but not draw a triangle; I have no idea if the fact I'm currently just picking whichever egl configuration is the first one has something to do with this or not but it seems plausible.

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 20, 2011, 08:57:30 AM »

I have no idea how to tell the difference between them

I'm no expert on the differences, but if I recall correctly the list that's returned to you is sorted from most suitable to least suitable. As such if you aren't sure what you want, pick the first entry.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1938 on: March 20, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »

I have no idea how to tell the difference between them

I'm no expert on the differences, but if I recall correctly the list that's returned to you is sorted from most suitable to least suitable. As such if you aren't sure what you want, pick the first entry.

Cool

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 21, 2011, 01:43:55 AM »

Why can't the compiler just read my mind or something when it comes to coding, it'd be so much easier:

Code:
public var textArray:Array = new Array;
for (var i = 0; i < 40; i += 1)
{
for (var j = 0; j < 30; j += 1)
{
textArray[i,j] = 7;
}
}

it KNOWS what I want, but it won't tell me why it won't work.

col: 19 Error: Access of undefined property i.

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic