Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 02:31:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Code Bubbles
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Code Bubbles  (Read 6339 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »

I still do all my programming in this:

So something like Code Bubbles seems like total overkill to me! Grin

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »

Flashdevelop helps my productivity loads.

I demonstrated the brilliance of its code completion the other day by mashing my face into the keyboard and pressing Enter before a co-worker. And lo did Flashdevelop summon legible code from my flippancy.
We should harness this power to usher in a new era in game development.

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »

Seems more suited for looking at code than actually developing.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »

I still do all my programming in this:

The shadows are all wrong in that render! WTF

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
terloon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 12:51:15 PM »

I've personally never found IDEs to help my productivity all that much. Good languages, tools and APIs usually do on the other hand.

Refactoring, refactoring, refactoring. I started using something called Visual Assist for C++ and I just love being able to write the implementation and have it create the prototype for me in the header automatically, and that's just one of its other many features.

Also, an ide IS a tool.
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 01:36:57 PM »

Gotta love refactoring and Visual Assist for VS.

terloon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »

Seems more suited for looking at code than actually developing.

I don't know about you guys but I feel a big part of developing is looking at code. That's why we invented syntax colors, naming schemes, etc. To make it easier to look at the code. This is just another way to look at the code to facilitate development.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 09:39:54 AM »

Same here, you know you'll spend more time debugging than actually writing code, and debugging often mean figuring out what the code you're reading was meant to be.

However, I'm interested to see how it goes (for C++) but I have no idea if buble editor would be better than our current practices. I'd like to try to get an idea. But with C++ :D (no project in java at the moment).

drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »

Same here, you know you'll spend more time debugging than actually writing code, and debugging often mean figuring out what the code you're reading was meant to be.
Someone needs to take this code bubbles thing to debugging c++. I would kill for an extension to any C++ IDE, which would expand the call stack HORIZONTALLY during step-by-step debug. So with each new call, a window opens to the RIGHT of its caller, listing that function only. When a function exits, the window closes. Thus enabling you to scroll horizontally to go in "depth"...

There should also be a changelog of when which variable was changed by which line (obviously only in step-by-step mode). And when you hover over the change info the line in question that caused the change is highlighted in the relevant code "bubble" .

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
Ina Vegt
Level 1

Girl Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 11:20:49 AM »

What I don't like about it is that it don't seem to be language-agnostic. If language parsing/definition is defined by some kind of plugin, then excellent, we can have it later for, say, C++ right?
If however the buble behaviour is dependant on the java language, then FAIL!

It seems to be an Eclipse plugin or something like that, since Eclipse is mostly used by Java devs, it makes sense to use Java in the demo. Still, Eclipse supports many more languages than just Java, so I wouldn't be surprised if it shipped with multilanguage support out of the box.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 10:44:44 AM »

drChengele> Visual Studio needs this  Kiss
Hoping a similar plugin could be made for VS2010... *having wet dreams...*

Ina Vegt> That's what I was thinking too but on the website they seem to say that it's specially made for Java... As C++ is clearly really harder than Java to parse (because it needs to understand the grammar for some features and reactions), I suspect them to not bother about this language.
However I'd really like to be wrong about this.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic