Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:40:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Best. Bugs. Ever.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Best. Bugs. Ever.  (Read 16651 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2007, 02:50:48 PM »

This is the thread for wacky bugs you've discovered in your own games (or others'). Something that was unintentional, but crazy weird and funny.

I've seen two weird ones that stand out in my time.

Back in the QBasic days, I was working on an RPG called "Ending World", which had a lot of textboxes. One time I was testing the game, one of the characters said my dad's email address 5 times in a row. It only happened once. I have no idea how it happened, unless memory somehow got corrupted and pointers were pointing to different strings.

But the best of all time for me has to be from a game I worked on in Winnipeg called "Dungeon: Gladiator". Somehow, if you exceeded the texture RAM, texture pointers weren't guaranteed to point to the texture you wanted to load - they could point to any other texture. The characters were broken up into head and body textures, and that lead to the creation of...

The Crotch Monster

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 04:13:31 PM »

:D

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 08:22:32 PM »

I wish I could get a funny glitch. All of my glitches end up being annoying and giant pains.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »

If you guys want to see the best bugs ever, then just go play Driv3r for about 10 minutes.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 10:00:57 PM »

I wish I could get a funny glitch. All of my glitches end up being annoying and giant pains.

At first I thought that read "being annoying and giant pandas" and I was like... "wait, that sounds pretty funny to me..." Embarrassed
Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 05:07:16 AM »

I'll remeber forever when I first implemented monster inventories and item usage in DoomRL... It was made without restrictions... Then I went to level 6 and to my big surprise got fried by a puny Fromer Human wielding a BFG9000...

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:17:40 AM »

Long ago, I was programming a game with a friend of mine where two ships had to shoot down each other, shooting like the good guy in Invaders. The setting was simmilar to a vertical Pong: to ships on the top and bottom of the screen, moving left and right, like pong's paddels (or the Invader's ship) There was some kind of moving obstacle in the middle of the screen, but nothing else. You could shoot once, and then you had to wait until your bullet hit something to shoot again.

The thing was that we forgot to give bullets their own x-coordinate, so instead moving straight forward, they used the x-coordinate of the ship that shot them. So, while moving forward (increasing or decreasing the y-coordinate), you could control the x position of the bullet with your own ship's movement. That way, you could somehow chase the enemy ship with your bullet.

However, the enemy could do the same. As it was a two-player game, it was pretty fun trying to hit your friend's ship with your bullet while avoiding his! We left it that way and spent some hours playing. Smiley

Tr00jg
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »

Well, my 2nd game I ever made (which is just totally horrendous) coolest feature (this is all relative) came from a bug. I was still totally uneducated about programming... The goal of the game was to catch magic balls from the gods to upgrade your bike (sounds awesome, but its not). You move across the screen (from 1 point to the other). Being the noob I was, it turned that if you turned around real quickly, you went faster. So it became a nifty trick.

Anyway the best bugs came from my time in World of Warcraft. There was terrain glitches that with some trouble you could overcome and head into the great nothing of flatness. I ran all the way from Badlands to behind Stormwind, and lots of similar stuff.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 04:08:25 AM »

Anyway the best bugs came from my time in World of Warcraft. There was terrain glitches that with some trouble you could overcome and head into the great nothing of flatness. I ran all the way from Badlands to behind Stormwind, and lots of similar stuff.

Me too.

My best bug was, in a top-down shooter I made in java, whenever you tried to move right or downwards, you couldn't, but if you tried to move left or upwards, the character would not move, instead it would be cloned 1 tile away in said direction, and each of the could shoot individual shots :D And none of them died unless the original one died :D that was awesome :D

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 05:16:24 AM »

I had a memory corruption bug that confused the game profoundly: it thought all player movement controlled the integrated editor, and the enemies tried to attack the editing cursor. I spent hours after fixing it trying to figure out how it ever could have happened... I think it was a corrupt stack but can't be sure. Ah, c++.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 05:18:42 AM »

Oh, and the best part: the bug only occurs if the player dies twice in the same frame. That should lend a good idea of how screwed up the spawn system was. Should have refactored.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 02:12:07 PM »

Slightly different, but worth mentioning Boiling Point: Road to Hell. The changelog for the first patch was so full of awesome bugs that PCGamer printed it in full in their magazine. :D

olücæbelel
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 09:12:19 AM »

I have had several realy funny buggs. The kind that make you step back and quietly murmer "How could I have bene so stupid?" My best one came from bad rigging on a 3d model. I had mistakenly attached some sholder points to the pelvis rotator. every time the character moved in a running animation the sholders would deform with the pelvis instead of the torsoe making it look like there was a crazed ferrit running arround inside his chest.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 12:33:58 PM »

The recent version of DoomRL has been reported to contain a powerful invisible enemy that can't be killed. Some more testing revealed that when the enemy is killed, the player dies...

... which brought me to the point where I discovered that at that particular level the player was spawned twice xP.

At your service,
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »

The recent version of DoomRL has been reported to contain a powerful invisible enemy that can't be killed. Some more testing revealed that when the enemy is killed, the player dies...

... which brought me to the point where I discovered that at that particular level the player was spawned twice xP.

Oh crap I remember that. It fucked me up the first time. It's that level with the creepy red spot in the middle.

I think you should leave it. It was fucking creepy to have 'you' mirrored in a sort of bloody shrine, like a voodoo doll. You should leave it because it would mean you just crashed into a demonic voodoo ritual meant for you. And that's awesome.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 05:33:49 PM »

Oh crap I remember that. It fucked me up the first time. It's that level with the creepy red spot in the middle.

OMG, a DoomRL player on TIGS!

I think you should leave it. It was fucking creepy to have 'you' mirrored in a sort of bloody shrine, like a voodoo doll. You should leave it because it would mean you just crashed into a demonic voodoo ritual meant for you. And that's awesome.
Heh, too late, already fixed in the beta, will be out officialy soon Smiley. However this idea makes for a nice idea for a special level -- akin to the shadow in Prince of Persia :D

At your service,
idiotmeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »

I've only been able to reproduce it twice, but in Super Smash Bros. for the 64, if you use pikachu's strike yourself with thunder attack in some area close to the center of meowth's coin attack thingie, the game will glitch out and perform pikachu's attack over and over again until meowth's attack finishes.  To show how much damage it racked up, I was on my 300-somethingith hour of playing the game, with only about an hour or two of pika playing time total, and the little bugger skyrocketted to the top of the damage charts with dealing over 300,000 percentage points of damage in about a few seconds.

Though not exactly a bug, my roommate in college had arkanoid: doh it again! for the SNES.  In one level, the ball got trapped on a series of unbreakable blocks for an amazing 10 months (he left his system on and checked it every day). I guess it managed to wiggle its way out at some point.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 11:40:10 PM »

I thought this one was fun.  I can't remember exactly what caused this, likely something related to texture compression.

Welcome to Silverville.

Click for big version.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 09:02:38 AM »

That acually is possible in the actual Doom I and II games as well, kinda.

Like you can put 2 spawnpoints in a level, the other player does not move or anything, but when you kill him, you die too.

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 01:41:12 PM »

The 'Boiling Point: Road to Hell' change-log is the best Readme.txt I've ever seen.

Choice quotes include;

- Occasionally, the game would crash following the attempted load of a save
game.

- Occasionally, with 0% technical aptitude, the user's character would succeed
at using level 4 weapon upgrades.

- The entrance to Don Pedro's villa located at the river was inaccessible due
to the game positioning the character in the water when exiting a boat. A
ladder was added.

- It was impossible to drop less than the entire quantity of any item that was
stacked.

and, my personal favourite:

- The police station in Puerto Sombra could be destroyed with a single crossbow