Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 08:59:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Best. Bugs. Ever.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Best. Bugs. Ever.  (Read 16650 times)
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 08:23:28 PM »

I always liked the glitch in Skate 2 where if you got off the board and got back on but as you were doing so you did a superdude grab you would fly like 50 feet in the air and you could use it to break the game so much. In fact in the demo you could use it to gain access to part outside of the designated part. But eventually the geometry ended and you fell into oblivious. The sad is they patched it out, although my friend still hasn't updated so we still mess around on his.
st33d
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 02:02:14 AM »

The recent version of DoomRL has been reported to contain a powerful invisible enemy that can't be killed. Some more testing revealed that when the enemy is killed, the player dies...

... which brought me to the point where I discovered that at that particular level the player was spawned twice xP.

Wow. This gives me a great idea...

On another note I had so many classes in Final Ninja Zero that it crashed Flash CS3 when it tried to compile it (there's actually an undocumented limit on how many classes you can have). So I had to bundle all of the scenery into MovieClips instead of individual sprites.

When I pause a game I use a recursive clip stopping method and a recursive clip starting method when the game starts again. So when I paused and unpaused the game - WHOOO, PSYCHADELIC LANDSCAPE!
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »

I was developing a city generator and due to probably a driver bug, i got this:

Instead  of this:

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »

In LoZ: Windwaker, there were two spots on the Windfall Island that didn't have collision.  While you could never possibly reach these spots as Link, if you used one of those bird fruits, you could fly right into the geometry and fly around inside.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »

I was developing a city generator and due to probably a driver bug, i got this:
[snip]
Instead  of this:
[snip]
I am interested in playing the first game pictured here

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »

While working on the jump ability in Stick Adventures Online, a player would hit the jump button...  And watch as his character shot like a rocket upwards, never to return.  It was pretty funny to watch Grin

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »

While making "the duke" I have a couple of videos of the character dry-humping a 64x64 tile... and shooting bones from his penis (which is HIS HEAD)

Also this:

and the cock-weapon of the totem:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:16:50 PM by nitram_cero » Logged

Working on HeliBrawl
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »

Not new but some time ago I had those flying 3D consoles that were going totally wild when I tried to write some orientation interpolation code:

Seeing them flying with weird rotations was pretty hillarious. I'll keep that idea for a virus inside the game I think (it's a game about viruses and hacking opponent's game/interface...)

Afinostux
Level 2

Forgotten Beats

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2010, 11:03:09 AM »

When working on my first pyweek entry, I decided to save time with the physics engine by calculating the collisions with level geometry using the same data that was used to get neighboring tiles for selecting the correct graphic off the sprite sheet.

Good IN THEORY, but in practice it had two problems that caused three unique and hilarious bugs:

1) You would regularly fall into the floor and get trapped in a 32x32 box until the program quit.
2) Occasionally, while falling against a wall, you would clip into the wall at near infinite velocity.
3) You only collide with blocks that you hit directly from a face. No corner collision for you!

The third one is actually still in the finished product, since the tile adjacency only stores the neighbors in four directions, so if you approach a tile from a diagonal, it can't see it at all.

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 06:03:52 PM »

I actually worked for a while as a game tester on a rather (in)famous game.  It shipped with a few bugs...the best, though, only happened one time before they fixed it.

First, I have to explain how it was supposed to work.  See, there were "poison arrows"; if you shot an enemy soldier with one, it would stick in his body and slowly decrease his health...if he lost his last bit of health due to poison, he'd vomit and then fall over dead.  And when I say "vomit", I mean it; there was a stream of brownish stuff coming out of his face.

One day we actually had two bugs happen at once.  The first was that the soldier would start vomiting but, instead of dying, go back to his idle stance with brown still streaming out of him.  The second bug was that the "vomit" was coming out of the location where he was shot with the arrow.  In this case, the lower body...

facepalm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »

This one happened when I was working on a physics based animation system and gave too much force to the limbs. The joint constraints couldn't resist it anymore.

Another good one was earlier when I tried to make the characters walk/stand using an evolutionary algorithm. The algorithm was on it's early stages and the fitness function was just evaluating how far the character could get on the x-axis. I left the program alone for a while and came back. What I had on the screen was a guy who apparently wanted to be a bird. The character (which was floating and vibrating midair) had no max force he could use to rotate the limbs so the algorithm had decided that the best way to move was to wave one's arms like crazy. Later that day I decided to create the animations manually..

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 09:36:42 AM »

But I just wanted a grid. Why are you screwing with me computor.
postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2010, 10:35:57 AM »

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »

I was trying to make a visual helper for spline paths in Fezzer last year and somehow this happened.

My favourite bug yet. Kiss

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2010, 09:52:24 PM »

Hey, Autechre album covers!

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2010, 04:41:07 AM »

Best -- walking -- animation -- EVER  Kiss

Hey, Autechre album covers!
Hahahahaha, so true

Working on HeliBrawl
Over00
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2010, 06:30:44 AM »

In Golemizer players can have their own city. One day a player post a bug about not being able to drop items in his city and players not able to build their house in it.

That was really weird as the city system has been stable for months and the recent updates were really not touching anything near the city system.

I spent a week trying to figure out the problem both online and on my development machine with an updated version of the database and just couldn't find what it was.

To debug I was teleporting myself right into the city. That was my mistake. When I finally decided to walk my character out of the city for no reason I realized the city was in the middle of ocean ...

For some reason a bug allowed the player to walk on the ocean so of course the first thing he did was to create a city there. The zone permissions of the ocean were transferred to the city explaining while the city was bugged.

Of course that never occurred to him to tell me that in the first place ...  Roll Eyes

AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »

I had my character broken up into multiple parts, which were then assembled together by reading alignment data from an external xml file. However, I accidentally screwed up the code for reading in the data from the file, so my character wound up with his head attached to his crotch, and his sword shoved through his back... Shrug
RabTom
Level 0

Programmer Extrodinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2010, 05:45:47 PM »

No pic unfortunately, but while I was developing Naiteki Kensei, Sakura would sometimes do this "Talk to the hand" pose.

Also you could spam melee on a corpse and it would do this weird rap with the melee sounds. I always used it during developing as teabagging because the characters don't crouch.

EDIT:

Here's a good one, while developing mesh based outlines:

This one made it look like it had some sort of weird goatee:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:59:52 PM by RabTom » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic