Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58440 Members - Latest Member: WebMobril5645

May 02, 2024, 09:10:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOMG - Oriental Music Generator
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: OMG - Oriental Music Generator  (Read 2401 times)
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »

Screenshot (doesn't show much, since the program generates sound, not images)

Taking a quick break from serious stuff, I decided to go back to what I enjoy doing best - making programs from random ideas I get during class.

This is a quick program I wrote to generate some oriental style music (played on the koto). There are 5 different styles/rhythms to choose from (shown under intensity), and a couple of other small customizations.

Basically I got the idea after mashing some random keys on the pentatonic scale, and realizing that it sounded incredibly like an oriental piece.

Download - http://www.nfyre.com/omg.html

Oh, and press spacebar to do a barrel roll!  Beer!
undertech
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:44:39 AM »

Ha, this is just too cool!

Using the same concept, could you do, say, a middle eastern one maybe?
increpare
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 02:56:54 AM »

God-damnit.  I like pg music, but I dislike the term 'oriental' (it's generally considered a 'bad word' nowadays in my musical circles, carrying strong imperialist connotations, and so general a term as to be almost meaningless (as opposed to the genre of 'orientalist' music, which refers to the genre of music consisting of efforts by western writers to sound 'oriental')).  I'm torn, you see, between an appreciation of the fun (if not especially deep) idea, and the cultural caricature implicit in the presentation.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:00:07 AM by increpare » Logged
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:04:50 AM »

Oriental is a bad word? Since when?

increpare
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 07:24:20 AM »

Oriental is a bad word? Since when?
Since ages.  Brought to the mainstream by the book 'Orientalism' (interesting, and provoking, though not entirely trustworthy as a scholarly source) by Edward Said.  It's a pretty unconstructive term, used (intentionally or not) to caricature the cultural output of a wide group of civilisations.  As a (weak) comparison, what if somebody (from outside the indie scene) was to use the term 'cave story ripoff' to describe the entire corpus of indie games? 

What if activision were to encourage the use of this term?  I would consider this an act of cultural aggression.  What if activision were to start making multi-million dollar cave story ripoffs, claiming to have captured the spirit of the cave story ripoff genre?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:29:15 AM by increpare » Logged
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »

Ha, this is just too cool!

Using the same concept, could you do, say, a middle eastern one maybe?
XD
Maybe a middle eastern one may come about... just maybe  Gentleman

God-damnit.  I like pg music, but I dislike the term 'oriental' (it's generally considered a 'bad word' nowadays in my musical circles, carrying strong imperialist connotations, and so general a term as to be almost meaningless (as opposed to the genre of 'orientalist' music, which refers to the genre of music consisting of efforts by western writers to sound 'oriental')).  I'm torn, you see, between an appreciation of the fun (if not especially deep) idea, and the cultural caricature implicit in the presentation.
Actually, the main reason that I used the term Oriental is so that the name can be abbreviated to OMG. Originally I would've gone with Asian or Chinese, but those don't really hilariously abbreviate. I didn't mean for the title to be used as a derogatory term in any way.
increpare
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:40:02 AM »

Actually, the main reason that I used the term Oriental is so that the name can be abbreviated to OMG.
Ah.  I somehow missed the acronym  Roll Eyes  I didn't think you meant it intentionally, I just couldn't express what appreciation I had for it without that qualification.
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »

Perhaps nOMG, the non-Occidental Music Generator?

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
increpare
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 01:42:07 PM »

Perhaps nOMG, the non-Occidental Music Generator?
combines two of my favourite internet three-letter-things!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic