Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411540 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 03, 2024, 01:23:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOverrated games
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Overrated games  (Read 39658 times)
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: March 17, 2015, 08:25:33 AM »

playing it recently, majora's mask is definitely overrated

still a very good game, but overrated (OoT is better)

Having played both recently, it's the other way round for me. MM had better pacing, better characters, better side things, collectibles, and the series of events leading to each dungeon were pretty the one thing it did better than most zelda games. Weirdly enough for a zelda, I wasn't as impressed by its dungeons and bosses except for the last of both. OoT had slower pacing in comparison, but definitely outdid MM in charm, dungeons, bosses and music. Still overrated though, but I guess it deserves the score for the impact it made
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 20, 2015, 06:26:50 AM »

(OoT is better)

get out.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 20, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 20, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »

oot is great you dweebs
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 20, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »

Oot is a walking/horsing through giant plains between times simulator. Majora's mask is a walking/rolling through slightly smaller plains with masks simulator. I think this is what the original point was about.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 20, 2015, 03:44:27 PM »

oot is great you dweebs

BUT MAJORA IS BETTER (that's the point) Cool

also goron's roll is a better modern sonic than modern sonic  Noir

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 20, 2015, 04:01:44 PM »

im better
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 21, 2015, 01:47:39 AM »

OoT is still great but MM is better.

Actually the two games aren't even really comparable in most ways. Apart from both being Zelda games they both do very diff things
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 21, 2015, 01:33:10 PM »

I'm glad we can all still agree that the Oracle games where the pinnacle of design, charm, gameplay and music, and perfectly married 2 similar games to tell the greatest Link-defeating-Ganon story that both involved companies still haven't managed to top
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 21, 2015, 03:14:07 PM »

I'm glad we can all still agree that Link's Awakening was the best

ftfy
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 21, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »

I'm glad we can all still agree that the Oracle games where the pinnacle of design, charm, gameplay and music, and perfectly married 2 similar games to tell the greatest Link-defeating-Ganon story that both involved companies still haven't managed to top
awakening is the shit Cool

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: March 21, 2015, 07:53:29 PM »

consider the following

all zelda games are trash

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: March 22, 2015, 05:17:38 AM »

I've always found Zelda's lore to be pretty interesting but not thoroughly explored enough. I have this feeling Miyamoto has always wanted to make one definitive story but he hasn't been able to tell it the exact way he envisioned it. Hence how every game he works on has the Ocarina of Time progression.

The lore is interesting but I've never been able to enjoy any of the games in the way people praise them. That being said I haven't played some of the more cult-esque Zelda games like Link's Awakening or Zelda 2. I think every one of them is enjoyable on its own but that they're not that valuable in the big picture. Even some fans have been able to twist the standard storyline in more interesting ways than Nintendo themselves. I mean, Nintendo doesn't even want Link to be a girl.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: March 22, 2015, 05:42:27 AM »

You're super wrong though. Myiamoto is a game designer not a writer. The story in zelda never mattered and people who think it does and obsess over timelines and whatever are weirdoes.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: March 22, 2015, 06:27:22 AM »

Except he totally is.

The narrative does matter, but depending on what you think is part of the narrative you might have a different opinion. Ocarina of Time was a linearly structured game centered around plotlines. The game is an entirely different experience when you're oblivious to the story.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 22, 2015, 06:56:55 AM »

The lore is interesting but I've never been able to enjoy any of the games in the way people praise them.

when did you start playing them?

i dont think i would care that much about zelda if i hadnt played the games as a kid
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2015, 08:30:04 AM »

MM has an interesting story with interesting characters and OoT is a damsel trope game like the rest of the Zelda and Mario games, w/o much of a story and w/o characters (almost).

Both games are pretty neat. They're just very different things entirely despite sharing engine, models, mechanics and franchise name. Of course they're going to speak to different audiences.

Zelda "stories" in general are crap anyhow. That's not what makes most of the games good. TP and MM did better in that respect (TP had good and more varied characters, but the story was still bad and messy). WW is somewhere in between. OoT is awful.

I too mostly play Zelda for nostalgia, but I do genuinely enjoy the temples and puzzles, even in  the games I don't have any nostalgic connections to. They're very good in that respect. And MM just has a mood. A really neat atmosphere.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:35:12 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »

Except he totally is.

The narrative does matter, but depending on what you think is part of the narrative you might have a different opinion.
Still, Myamoto wants the player to drive the narrative, which might partially explain why the Zelda lore is open-ended.

Ocarina of Time was a linearly structured game centered around plotlines. The game is an entirely different experience when you're oblivious to the story.
I'm not disagreeing on the plotlines part, but regarding the linear structure: OoT is often hailed as one of the early open world games, since you can do various parts of the game in different order.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 22, 2015, 09:36:04 AM »

BTW if you want to blame someone for the story in zelda blame koizuma, but I think he is the pusher of the MOST interesting part in zelda's story as in general miyamoto tone down the narrative. You can see his influence on everything that have a theme of loss (MM, mario Galaxy, awakening, etc ...).

jolene
« Reply #319 on: March 22, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »

majoras is gr8
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic