Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:49:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1322079 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #660 on: August 16, 2010, 11:37:40 PM »

I still think you should be able to write on paper and put it into books. Being able to write documentation to a contraption or similar would be fairly rad, and you could just store the image on each sheet a 2D array of bits, we don't need colour.

Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #661 on: August 17, 2010, 05:16:17 AM »

Tuning Fork is an interesting concept, but I don't know if it's practical, because sometimes there's just tons of junk in the way that would render it kind of impractical. And please don't make it detect stuff, because then the game would just become pinging walls until you found something and then digging in straight lines forever.

Yeah, hadn't thought of that. I just thought it would be neat if when you where checking a cavern wall to work out where than danm zombie is you could accidentally stumble over coal/iron in the wall.

Assumedly though, the tuning fork (like other Tools) would have a limited number of uses. So you couldn't just spam it like crazy, or it would eat up your iron really fast.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #662 on: August 17, 2010, 06:55:04 AM »

I would very much like there to be a compass at some point in the game. It would be nice to be able to go off to find resources (like clay) without worrying about finding my way home. It could be used in conjunction with the book, or a piece of paper maybe, to make a map. You could mark the location of your base, then you would have to actually check the map and find your location relative to your base, instead of it telling you.

Guard
Level 0

Java's cool.

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 17, 2010, 06:56:25 AM »

NOTCH! THERE MUST BE TRAPDOORS FOR SMP. MUST!  Gentleman

Programming since Sept 2009
Web Developing since 2006
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: August 17, 2010, 07:53:59 AM »

I would very much like there to be a compass at some point in the game.
Sun/moon goes west, clouds go north.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: August 17, 2010, 08:01:38 AM »

Compass that works underground?

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #666 on: August 17, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »

Up is up, down is down.
 Durr...?
Eraser
« Reply #667 on: August 17, 2010, 09:41:41 AM »

Compass that works underground?
Break down all but the last layer of blocks. Granted, there will be no more underground, but you will have your compass.
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 17, 2010, 09:58:17 AM »

If you mine straight down and pay attention to the crack animation, you can use that as a compass. It's always aligned the same way.

But I am adding a proper compass item, inspired by the one in Dungeon Keeper where the actual icon would change to show what direction you're facing. And I will probably add some kind of watch or similar.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #669 on: August 17, 2010, 11:07:33 AM »

And I will probably add some kind of watch or similar.

Moonwatch!

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Curseman
« Reply #670 on: August 17, 2010, 02:01:30 PM »

So how would the compass item work?  Would you get one on your UI as long as you have one in your inventory?  Would it be a permanent "consumable" upgrade to your character, or at least one that lasts until your next respawn?  Would it fit into an "accessory" slot like RPGs typically have, or a specific compass slot or something like that?
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 17, 2010, 02:13:50 PM »

I can't stop playing this stupid game. Every time i think i have gotten away from it to work on something productive i start daydreaming about how i am going to build the next section of my manor .... damnit!

Also, someone on another forum posted this (he hadn't done it, just seen it).

http://i.imgur.com/TvkCU.png

Crazy Crazy Crazy Crazy

(apparently the guy used some external software to make the big spheres, but it's still incredible)
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 17, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »

Apart from a walk button that also stops you from falling off the edges of scenery the only other things that I could possibly want or need from this game would be markers that you could drop and a detector with infinite vertical range that can pick up the signal. It would cut out the guesswork when trying to find all those tunnels you've dug when you're standing on the surface or want to keep the layout of your sprawling underground network neat and tidy.

Being able to craft string into rope so you can use it to go abseiling would be something I'd really like to see as well. I find the idea of building castles on the edge of cliffs really appealing and having a quick method for going over the side and shaving off those little bits that jut out would cut out the hassle of building huge amounts of scaffolding from the ground up. All of these are probably low on the list of features but I'd still like you to consider it.
Ashkin
« Reply #673 on: August 18, 2010, 08:07:29 PM »

Instead of having creepers make a sound, you could perhaps make them glow green, casting light around a cave or in the darkness. Man, that would be creepy... And you could make some sort of connection between creepers and moss by having strange green moss grow on the walls that glows slightly, which would also work as a natural light source... Perhaps sometimes a bit of moss would turn into a baby creeper (makes adorable little pops when they explode, harmless) that, if left long enough, could become an adult creeper...
*wakes up* Excuse me for my random ranting Droop
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 19, 2010, 01:19:36 AM »

I love the idea of a moss that can sometimes be found in caves that is slightly luminescent. That would be a really nice eery effect. Maybe you could cultivate the moss and use it to decorate your buildings.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: August 19, 2010, 02:05:08 AM »

I had a dream last night where you could create constructions in Minecraft and them imbue them with locomotive properties and fly/ride around on them. Like, I could build a ship out of stone and then do some kind of odd crafting to make it fly or float or ride around. Odd dream.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 19, 2010, 11:07:17 AM »

I actually expect to see such a feature in Minecraft in the distant future, at least through heavy modding or so.

Hm, Notch creates a unique innovative game and gets invited by Valve. Hm, Narbacular Drop's team was hired by Valve, leading to Portal. Tag's team was hired by Valve, leading to Portal 2's new fluids.
I wonder if we're going to dynamically build castles and explore caves in Portal 3.. Tongue

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 19, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »

I had a dream last night where you could create constructions in Minecraft and them imbue them with locomotive properties and fly/ride around on them. Like, I could build a ship out of stone and then do some kind of odd crafting to make it fly or float or ride around. Odd dream.

That would be amazing for the inf mode with a lot of players  Kiss
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 19, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »

Dear Notch,

You said you wanted to hire an artist and this guy is fantastic:

http://rhodox.sidemoon.net/minecraft/PainterlyPack.zip
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 19, 2010, 02:19:39 PM »

I actually expect to see such a feature in Minecraft in the distant future, at least through heavy modding or so.

Hm, Notch creates a unique innovative game and gets invited by Valve. Hm, Narbacular Drop's team was hired by Valve, leading to Portal. Tag's team was hired by Valve, leading to Portal 2's new fluids.
I wonder if we're going to dynamically build castles and explore caves in Portal 3.. Tongue

I didn't know that about tag's team. The portal 2 trailer did make me think of them. That's awesome that they got picked up.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic