Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 08:43:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[XNA] Copy Kitty - giant robots and millions of explosions! (updated Sept 15)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [XNA] Copy Kitty - giant robots and millions of explosions! (updated Sept 15)  (Read 7794 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »

So I gave the 1.0 version a try.  After the tutorial, I went to endless mode to play around in there.

Some weapons are definitely more useful than others.  Seeing as the vast majority of enemies you fight fly around, the ground-based/short range weapons are pretty much useless.  The only exception is the Tornado weapon, which is really difficult to use as you can't aim it.  By far the most useful were Wave and Split.

There were quite a variety of enemies, however it felt like you never really got a chance to bother to learn their attacks and how to avoid them for several reasons.  First off, you take very little damage at all times, so you can pretty much take a bunch of hits and just keep on moving.  Second off, the game encourages you to go bonkers with your weapons and wipe everything off the screen without even considering what you're fighting, so it doesn't feel there's much need to learn any strategy there either.

Also, not surpisingly, enemy shots were very difficult if not impossible to distinguish while there's tons of crap flying around the screen.  And yeah I had the graphics set to Ugly.  I'd reccomend making enemy shots have a very distinct visual appearance that doesn't match the player's shots, or give them all a certian outline and make them drawn on top of everyting else.

Another minor issue I had is the terrain can sometimes be teeny little blocks that barely come up to your feet, yet they still impair your movement.  I think if the player runs into a block that's less than a few pixels high, the player should automatically step on top of it.  It's just aggrivating to be moving forward, and suddenly stop, then you notice a tiny little block at your feet.

I'll try the mission mode after and see how that fares.

Bugs:

Managed to slip my way into the ceiling.  I could crawl slowly left or right.

http://rydia.net/udder/!crap/copyKittyInTheCeiling.jpg

Spotted an enemy stuck in the floor.

http://rydia.net/udder/!crap/copyKittyStuckEnemy.jpg
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 10:20:31 AM »

I gave mission mode a try.  Unfortunately it seems Hard mode is locked, so I can't try that out.  I got up to Mosh Pit, which just seemed really lazy/poorly designed and I didn't feel like dealing with it.

The gameplay still had a really sloppy feel to it. I could still just basically kill everything with powerful ranged weapons and not have much of an issue.  There weren't many genuinely useful opportunities to use your merged weapon attack, as most of the time it just wastes ammo. I only really used it to take out a bigger enemy.

The ground-based weapons were a bit more useful here, as there were parts where the enemies were hidden in small areas and getting a weapon to drop down there was useful.  Remote weapon is still by far the most useless.  Consider changing it so when you fire another remote mine, the previous mine explodes instantly.  Also consider making them stick to enemies instead of pass through them.

Pretty much all the levels felt same-y and I couldn't really remember any of them after I'd completed them.  Strategy from level to level was almost the same every time.

The bosses were definitely the best part, as they felt more structured and required you to avoid their attacks.

Maybe if Hard mode was unlocked by default, I could try that out and see if it's any more difficult.  Hopefully it requires you to take less damage.

Also, when I close the game window, it should close, not irritate me with that tophat guy appearing to bother me about extra stuff or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:30:57 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Azure Lazuline
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »

I will admit, the game is a lot more tailored to multiple playthroughs - not just finding any way to beat the stage, but finding the fastest way, the coolest way, the silliest way. I know that's no excuse to have a bad first play, though. I know you didn't try any level a second time at least, because if you did you would have noticed hard mode is unlocked for that stage.

As for endless mode, yes, I know it's below-average. Version 1.0 doesn't mean it's perfect, just that I'm satisfied with it, and that's mostly because of mission mode. Endless mode updates for more terrain, bosses, more variety, etc. will be next time.

Anyway, I'm a bit concerned that almost every thing you said as a negative after that has never been mentioned by anyone else. (Aside from Remote, which newcomers always think it's the worst, and skilled players always think it's one of the best, which is what's intended.) Justifying any of it would probably just come off as whiny though. Any criticism is good criticism, I'm not mad at you, it just seems like what you're expecting from the game and what I want to make are two different things.

GameRoom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came about this game and it looks pretty interesting. It looks quite good. However, I got a bit stuck at the tutorial. The key blocks really don't explain themselves.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic