Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 08:48:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMy first flash game - Gem Overload
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My first flash game - Gem Overload  (Read 561 times)
Kruv
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »

I just finished my first flash game. It's a simple gem destroying puzzle game, gems keep piling up and you have to shatter them with your own gems. There are different kinds of gems and the difficulty level increases over time, making the game faster and faster.

You can play it here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Kruv/gem-overload
Stib
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:23:25 PM »

Hey Kruv,

Here are my thoughts as I was playing...

• What is the bar up top for?
  • A little to fast for me at first. I need a little time to learn what I'm doing.
  • I don't really understand how the boxes up top relate to what I'm dropping into the play area and to be honest I'd rather not read the instructions lol
  • Okay now I know. I would reverse the gem slots. Westerners start from the left and end on the right
  • Once I got the gem slot thing down It's fun. Good work! (Still reverse those slots...it's driving me nuts)
  • Good feedback noise when you get it right. The shatter sound.
  • I know it's more work but show the player they have lost (a gem touches the top) and play some 'game over' music.
  • Music isn't bad.
  • You need the title of the game on the Menu screen
  • Nice work with the mute buttons
  • Yeah it still feels a little fast for me. Maybe start at 'level 1' at a slow pace for a while. Then hit 'level 2' and speed things up just a little.

I like the mechanics, it's familiar but a bit different. And I had fun once I figured it out. Nice work Smiley
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »

You should definitely ad a preloader. I was looking at a white screen for half a minute.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:32:39 AM »

Yeah, it definitely needs to be a bit easier at the start there.

Also, the block queue was confusing at first because I couldn't really tell what direction they were moving.  I suggest putting arrows in-between your block queue pointing in the right direction, and also put NEXT over the block you're about to drop, to let the player know what's going on. 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic