Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 07:03:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingUnder the Galaxy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Under the Galaxy  (Read 851 times)
orseoste7o
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:01:39 AM »

Under the Galaxy is a sandbox/platformer/exploration game. It;s been in the development for a bit already, you can see what development's been like so far in this thread on the GMC:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=574511

Under the Galaxy does have it's similarities to popular games already on the market, i admit. But as with all my games, it will bring new and innovative ideas to the genre. Now there is a lot to cover in this OP, so ill break it down into different parts:

THE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS

Long story short, UTG has been made so i can add content quickly and effectivly. Take away creating and animating sprite, and making sounds for a monster, and a monster would take less then a minute to create.This mean's that after the main engine is done, and all there is to add is content, development will likely go super fast! Sadly, i'm not quite up to that stage yet.

THE WEAPONS

I do love random generation. Not only does UTG have randomly generated levels, but randomly generated weapons too. Right now, there are only generated guns. The guns can be level 1 to level 10. Level 1 weapons are typically horibad. Level 10 weapons are very awesome. Recently i came across a gun which had a firing rate that sped up the longer i shot with it, shot 2 bullets at a time, which glowed in the dark, and gradually lost speed until they had stopped in midair. Then they would gradually fade out of existence.

There are millions of different guns in this game. The game now has randomly generated swords too! The swords have random swing lengths, speeds, gaps between swings, damages, etc. All depending on their level, of course.

* This image is from a older version, see the lack of hunger bar. Yes, hunger bar.

THE MONSTERS

I want this planet, whatever it's called, to feel like a living, breathing place. Something that i feel other games such as terraria have failed to accomplish. By this, i mean some monster species are friends. Others are enemies. Some like you, some dont. Luring enemies into other enemies is a very viable tactic, though sometimes it can backfire. I will also do my 100% best to make each monster as different as possible.

THE INVENTORY/CRAFTING SYSTEM

The inventory system in UTG was a complete ***** to code. But this could be because you can rearrange your inventory, move stacks of objects between your hotbar and main inventory, split stacks, ctrl+click and drag individual objects away from stacks, and place placeable objects, such has wooden planks, straight from the inventory. Also, When you move over 'mined' or 'broken' object, it is automatically moved to an existing stack in your inventory, or a free position.

The crafting system is easy and straightforward. You can see what you can craft below your inventory, use the arrows to switch between categories. Just click on a item, if you have met all the requirements, click craft as many times as you want to. I don't really believe in that silly 'arrange stuff in a purty way to make something' way of crafting. Yes, this has crafting, and you can make and place objects, ladders, backing, doors, ladders, etc, etc.

THE WORLD

The terrain is randomly generated. Right now there are two biomes, above ground forest, and below ground forest. In above ground forest, there are 4 day time monsters, and 4 night time monsters. 6 monsters below ground at the moment. The world is split up into different 'region's (rooms) for a complicated reason i can't be bothered going into. To go into the next region, simply walk out the room to the left or right. The regions wrap if you keep going left or right.

You go and enter cave systems by moving over a cave entrance and pressing space. Forest caves look awesome.

Soon (tm) ill make the names of each region randomly generated, and the name will be displayed when you enter the region. After i finish the underground forest, ill start on new biomes. But, these new biomes are going to be NEW. It won't just be desert. Snow. Jungle. If any biomes even remotely resemble something stereotypical, there will be some twist in the environment you won't know about. Expect some alien biomes. The forest is just all normal(ish) because it's the starting place, and i want it to be familiar.

IMPORTANT STUFF YOU NEED TO READ

This isn't even the alpha of the game yet. You have been warned.

A few things to know before you start playing:

-Move with wasd.
-Press e to open your inventory screen.
-Crafting appears below your inventory, you can switch between categories with the arrows.
-Crafting is pretty explanatory when you look at it.
-You start with a hammer in your inventory.
-Move the hammer to your hotbar and then use the mouse wheel to select it. Then you can start mining blocks and cutting down trees.
-Press G to generate a new gun, which will then appear where the mouse is and play at the player. Once it hits the player it will appear in your inventory. Drag it to your hotbar to use.
-Every thing can be dragged to the hotbar to use.
-You can right click (and drag) on object stacks to split them.
-Control click + drag stacks to get a single object off of the stack.
-K makes it night time
-I makes it day time
-Day and night do occur naturally, these keys are just for testing
-This is PRE ALPHA.
-Press space to toggle between free look and fixed look.
-ABOUT THE LOW QUALITY MUSIC:

These are sample/testing tracks off of a royalty free music site. This game will hopefully end up being commercial, and by the end of development i would have bought (rights to the) the full, high quality songs.

-I'm sure I've forgot something, or many things
-Sorry for spelling errors, the help was written in a rush.
-Press F1 for help
-Press esc to get rid of help

WHERE CAN I TEST IT?

Here: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/214480-under-the-galaxy

KAY, CHEERS MAN

No worries. Got questions? Ask them. Got Feedback? Give it  Smiley

WHATS COMING NEXT?

In the next update, coming within the week? i shall add:

-Making guns use clips and reload times.
-Player fall damage?
-Runes that do stuff.
RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »

Since no one has posted and I think that this looks kind of cool...

I opened it up and I think the aesthetic you've got going is pretty solid so far, I don't really have too many harsh complaints about the artwork, though I think that the trees may be animating too quickly and that foreground elements shouldn't get in the way of the player character.

As far as the controls go, right now, I think that jump is a bit too weak and perhaps the gravity is a tad too high. It almost feels like you're going nowhere with the jump, perhaps just because you fall so fast that you can't control yourself much. Also, some of the guns are just completely useless. Randomly generated is awesome, but not if you can randomly get a gun that actually doesn't do anything helpful. Haha.

But yeah, other than the obvious inspirations, it's looking like a fun project that I hope you follow through with.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:03:28 AM »

for some reason i was not able to generate weapons using the G button. i was interested to see the random generated weapons, so just a bit disappointed. wasnt quite sure what to do otherwise, but i think you've got a good start.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic