Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Onsku

May 13, 2024, 11:32:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWeakness
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Weakness  (Read 763 times)
foulshape
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:38:03 AM »

Primarily looking for feedback on the art style here. Some of the sounds need to be changed.

Youtube:

The main game mechanic is that enemies are randomly weak to one of your weapons. You can see what this weakness is by the colored ring around them. The color of the ring matches the color of one of your weapons. You also gain points from doing weakness damage and gain levels from points which increases your damage.

There's also a really basic system for modifying your weapons. Enemies drop marbles that you can equip to change the functionality of them.
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:56:15 AM »

hard question really. the style is a choice and it looks good to me. i could not see anything disturbing.

MasterLee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »

There is something very warped about the artstyle which is great. I'm almost wishing it was a bit more warped and twisted. It would really make the game stand out.

foulshape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 03:30:20 AM »

Not really sure what I could do to achieve that. Just stranger looking creatures?

The reason I'm asking for feedback here is because I put this up on Greenlight and got a lot of negative comments on the art style, which was kind of puzzling to me because I feel like it's at least decent looking. I haven't been modeling/animating for all that long though.
TPathuis
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:10:01 AM »

I like the artstyle in the levels! The gui and menu graphics do break the immersion a bit, they seem a bit randomly thrown on there. Perhaps these can be more in line with the level graphics, and integrated in the game's screen. Hope that makes sense a bit?
One other thing I noticed is that some of the walk cycle animations seem to slide on the ground a bit too much, but it doesn't bother me that much.
Hope that helps.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 02:57:00 AM »

yeah, the actual level graphics look good, but i would make the weapon icons(?) simpler and more abstract, kinda like the map in the lower left corner.

also if i may make a design criticism, from the trailer it looks like some of the enemies just wander around randomly and don't have an AI to speak of. might be wrong though.

Smiley
foulshape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »

The icon thing is a good idea and I don't know why I didn't do that. The AI is pretty simple, they aren't even using real path finding, more of a motion finding to get around small obstacles, but I have to keep it this way because I need some enemies to spread out so they're harder to hit. And enemies that don't have melee attacks don't really have reason to chase the player, but they'd be too easy to hit if they just stood in one place, so they just wander.
ThunderMare
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 03:27:28 AM »

I like the art of the levels, the chessboard theme is my favorite.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic