Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411608 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58446 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 09, 2024, 04:10:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 679611 times)
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: February 02, 2013, 06:49:46 PM »

Somehow I managed to implement the beginnings of multiplayer in two days.

Next up, smoother synchronization...I'm afraid to see what it looks like when run non-locally right now.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #3201 on: February 03, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »

Code:
AS3
Main.SELECTED_OBJECT[Input.keyString]()
I can't believe this works!  It evaluates a string from key input, and executes that function of the selected object. made making this console so much easier. yay Smiley
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3202 on: February 04, 2013, 03:00:25 PM »

DigiPen Freshman. Just finished my first "from scratch" game engine in C. It feels super good.

Some basic info:

-Coded in C
-Runs on Windows
-Graphics uses DirectX 9.0
-Sound uses FMOD

There's an editor and some other things that go along with it. I made (still working on) a procedural generated platform shooter.

I'll post more info at the game when it's further along, but I just wanted to leave my happiness here  Coffee

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3203 on: February 04, 2013, 03:32:59 PM »

DigiPen Freshman. Just finished my first "from scratch" game engine in C. It feels super good.

Congrats!

Goran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3204 on: February 05, 2013, 02:41:57 PM »

This image is silly but it brought a smile to my face. It means I finaly figured out how to change render targets in XNA without getting a pink screen. Yay life!

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3205 on: February 05, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »

Not sure if I'm happy or grumpy, found a bug in syncing bitstream properties that took me around all related source about 3 times fixing a long trail of small "correct looking code" bugs. Feels good to have them gone I guess.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3206 on: February 05, 2013, 05:30:49 PM »

Spent 3 or so hours tracking down the culprit in a retain cycle that was preventing textures from being freed between levels. fixed and happy.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: February 05, 2013, 09:18:12 PM »

Some basic info:

-Coded in C
-Runs on Windows
-Graphics uses DirectX 9.0
-Sound uses FMOD

There's an editor and some other things that go along with it. I made (still working on) a procedural generated platform shooter.

I'll post more info at the game when it's further along, but I just wanted to leave my happiness here  Coffee

Man digipen sounds way more educational than my comp-sci program :X

Congrats!

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: February 06, 2013, 03:36:01 AM »

Probably not the best way to show the AI but it works!
Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: February 06, 2013, 04:27:26 AM »

I'm so so much happy because yesterday I spent the whole day making a system to load Tiled maps into Craftyjs (actually, it just loads the giant number array for each layer of the map, but I'll make it open Tiled .json files) and I managed, somehow, to make it work!
(but then I found out that someone already did this and put it on github, therefore my efforts were in vain  No No NO).
Anyways:

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3210 on: February 06, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »

I started playing around with Unity's animation system today, and was pleasantly surprised with how quickly I was able to pick up on it. I'm thinking now that I will return to the lip syncing system I had developed and re-tool it to use Unity's native animations rather than the Tweening library I had been using.

Quick question, I've been hearing that Mecanim is the new hotness for Unity animations, and that the previous animation system is now legacy. But I don't know of any way to properly script custom animations and timing events using Mecanim. And it seems like Mecanim is very much geared toward bipedal character animations. Is it still safe for me to use the legacy animation system? I think it has everything I need to script capable timing-based animations.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: February 07, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »

Rendering a texture using OpenGL ES 2.0 both on Android and iOS. Tears of Joy

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3212 on: February 08, 2013, 01:02:54 AM »

My build system has been broken for a long time, and I havent touched it because I dreaded figuring out how to compile both 32 and 64-bit Windows and Linux binaries. Today I finally sat down and just got it done, and it all works! Wasn't as bad as I expected to figure out. Now I just have to update 34 more makefiles and rebuild everything...

Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: February 08, 2013, 02:29:54 AM »

My build system has been broken for a long time, and I havent touched it because I dreaded figuring out how to compile both 32 and 64-bit Windows and Linux binaries. Today I finally sat down and just got it done, and it all works! Wasn't as bad as I expected to figure out. Now I just have to update 34 more makefiles and rebuild everything...
Mac left to go ;] Why 34 more makefiles? Don't have, like, one makefile that says "build everything that you can find in directory src/"?

Anyways, I compiled my small Haxe/NME app for Android for the first time - and it worked! At the first attempt! After all the hassle of actually getting NME installed (sheesh they need better tests or something, I stumbled into THREE different recent bugs in the build/installation system), I was afraid it would take longer.

Liosan

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3214 on: February 08, 2013, 02:33:38 AM »

Mac was actually already working. The reason I have to update so many makefiles is because my game development framework is split up into lots of tiny libraries, each with its own makefile that often has small but important differences from the template. At some point I need to do some work to get them sharing makefile code better, but I haven't figured out the right way to do it yet... The makefile is a hulking monster at nearly 1000 lines, so taking it apart and reassembling it in a more modular way isn't a small task.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: February 08, 2013, 04:38:02 AM »

Finally got version 1 of my software for facial recognition complete. Made a generic facial recognition algorithm plugin system so I can run multiple face analyzers and get a combined result. Next step is to figure out how to properly bias the analysis.

I think at this point user intervention will have to be involved because certain algorithms work better under different conditions that are not easy to discern computationally. EX : low lighting, many shadows, many faces etc.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3216 on: February 09, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »

-makefile woes-
I'd suggest using premake (4) or similar. We've been using it for KAG for ages. It can output makefiles or IDE projects depending on what you need, so it could likely be plugged into your current build system without that much hassle.

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3217 on: February 09, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »

syntactic C++11 sugar Smiley
I've extended the new "foreach" to make even more sense (in a way that doesn't look possible in C# or Java, too):

Code:
//iterate all the Points from 3 to 10
for( auto& point : points.range( 3,10 ) )
   cout << point.toString() << endl;

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: February 10, 2013, 03:44:28 AM »

that looks very possible in c# (without the & though), don't know about java

you could make it even more  clean by using an extension method like this

you could end up with this

Code:
foreach (int i in 3.To(10))
{
    Console.WriteLine(i);    
}
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:50:31 AM by nikki » Logged
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3219 on: February 10, 2013, 04:38:31 AM »

Sure, but I think what Tommo's code does is along the lines of

Code:
for(int step = 3; step <= 10; ++step)
{
    PointType& point = points[step];
    count << point.toString() << endl;
}

whereas yours is just

Code:
for(int step = 3; step <= 10; ++step)
{
    count << step << endl;
}

and has what looks like operators on number literals (3.To) which just sounds like a terrible idea from the get go.

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic