Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411659 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 01:34:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHackyZack
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: HackyZack  (Read 5274 times)
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »

You've got to learn from somebody!
You do a good job at spicing up the art with your math and particles, so credit goes to you there Toast Right

Haha, thanks.
I am trying to spice it up with random effects and what not.
Playing with snow this morning.

Ashkin
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »

Cute art and nice concept. Looks like your level design skills are up to snuff, too.

The snow looks a little out of place - a blizzard would make more sense if there was a wind-based mechanic that affected the trajectory of the hackysack. Otherwise, a light snowfall would seem more fitting...
Also, don't forget to change the dust to be white on the snow level Wink
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 04:26:08 PM »

Cute art and nice concept. Looks like your level design skills are up to snuff, too.

The snow looks a little out of place - a blizzard would make more sense if there was a wind-based mechanic that affected the trajectory of the hackysack. Otherwise, a light snowfall would seem more fitting...
Also, don't forget to change the dust to be white on the snow level Wink

Thank you! And you do have a good point. The blizzard is probably a little much. I tried the wind mechanic thing. It...wasn't great. I'll probably just tone it down a bit.

a slow painful death
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »

there's just enough bright color and detail in the characters to draw your eyes to it then immediately regret it because of how small and hard to read the form is. add on top of that the insanely over-compensating particle effect patterns and you have a winner for "game most likely inspired by a christmas sweater design"
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »

there's just enough bright color and detail in the characters to draw your eyes to it then immediately regret it because of how small and hard to read the form is. add on top of that the insanely over-compensating particle effect patterns and you have a winner for "game most likely inspired by a christmas sweater design"

Thanks for the very warm "Welcome to The Internet"! Constructive criticism at its finest.

a slow painful death
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »

true nonconstructive criticism would be writing "your game sucks" on a rock and throwing it through your basement window
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 04:52:53 PM »

It just doesn't come off well when you disguise comments about readability as backhanded compliments after several "nice art" posts.
If you honestly meant, tone down the particles and clean up the player sprites, I aplogize.

a slow painful death
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 05:30:16 PM »

idk how you noticed the sarcasm of a text post faster than the pure eye burning zebra-pattern-break-down-the-form-of-your-body-to-confuse-predators-ness of your game that's in front of your eyes as a picture.

i also think that the art direction is very generic and that the gameplay mechanic doesn't carry a lot of potential.

if this is something structured like a puzzle game, there seems to be no possible way to get stuck or think your way out of a level.

if this is something structured like a twitch platformer, the chaos and design padding around kicking about a box2d physics object discourages moment to moment risk of actions and will make levels just about faffing about until it's just "oh i got it into the goal while i was pretending that i'm ronaldo, neat".

i'm all for making goalless toys and cool little things but considering your track record i doubt you're doing this out of pure creative love.

it looks perfunctory, slapdash, game-feel oriented, generically and exploitatively hobbled together game mechanics that are neither about one thing or another. a holistically blind, frankenstein monster seemingly designed to look like it might be fun for a little bit so you can get those retweets and indie cred, maybe get about halfway through a kickstarter and end up sputtering out because the novelty isn't enough to mask the pure, unadulterated, uncreative, unimaginative schlock that it is.

indie game the movie should show you that while effort and pure heart are required to risk everything to go down the rabbit hole, enormous talent, smarts, creativity, imagination, luck and awareness are needed to emerge unscathed. turn back now before you start paying a starving artist chicken feed to pixel you another broken dream.
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »

idk how you noticed the sarcasm of a text post faster than the pure eye burning zebra-pattern-break-down-the-form-of-your-body-to-confuse-predators-ness of your game that's in front of your eyes as a picture.

i also think that the art direction is very generic and that the gameplay mechanic doesn't carry a lot of potential.

if this is something structured like a puzzle game, there seems to be no possible way to get stuck or think your way out of a level.

if this is something structured like a twitch platformer, the chaos and design padding around kicking about a box2d physics object discourages moment to moment risk of actions and will make levels just about faffing about until it's just "oh i got it into the goal while i was pretending that i'm ronaldo, neat".

i'm all for making goalless toys and cool little things but considering your track record i doubt you're doing this out of pure creative love.

it looks perfunctory, slapdash, game-feel oriented, generically and exploitatively hobbled together game mechanics that are neither about one thing or another. a holistically blind, frankenstein monster seemingly designed to look like it might be fun for a little bit so you can get those retweets and indie cred, maybe get about halfway through a kickstarter and end up sputtering out because the novelty isn't enough to mask the pure, unadulterated, uncreative, unimaginative schlock that it is.

indie game the movie should show you that while effort and pure heart are required to risk everything to go down the rabbit hole, enormous talent, smarts, creativity, imagination, luck and awareness are needed to emerge unscathed. turn back now before you start paying a starving artist chicken feed to pixel you another broken dream.

You seem mad.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »

You seem mad.
Does he? I couldn't tell.
Giggle

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 05:54:22 PM »

i like how tiny everything is it reminds me of pyoro, but pyoro works well being tiny because the characters tongue is very very long and is the focus of the screen. maybe if the player had a trail like the ball that stood out a bit more, and it was zoomed in slightly more it would be easier to read?

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »

i like how tiny everything is it reminds me of pyoro, but pyoro works well being tiny because the characters tongue is very very long and is the focus of the screen. maybe if the player had a trail like the ball that stood out a bit more, and it was zoomed in slightly more it would be easier to read?

Cool, yeah. I could play around with that. In all honesty, it reads a lot better when it's full-screened and not 640x360, haha. I'll definitely try bringing it in a bit though.

Thanks  Coffee

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »

cant wait to donate to the shitstarter
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 09:10:32 PM »

I love the snow effect, but it seems high res!
lobstersteve
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 05:14:47 AM »

People always to start to bitch about how zack should change his game everytime he starts a devlog^^
Just let him finish it, the concept seems fun enough + it's a small game.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2015, 09:51:29 AM »

Hey. Yeah, this looks like a fun game; simple and easy to understand goal, and you can do a lot with both the puzzle and action aspects of it. Nice work.

Agreed about the blizzard. It does seem a bit much; simpler snowfall would be better, I think.

Wind could be a really annoying element / idea for a world, but that might fit in well with the "Super Meat Boy-esque" feel you seem to be going for with the physics. Not sure if I saw it, but do the levels loop vertically or horizontally?

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2015, 10:02:43 AM »

[insert]Lots of angry rambles...[/insert]

I can not wait till this one starts a devlog. Very curious to see what sort of anti-"shlock" he can conceive.

RandyGaul
Level 1

~~~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2015, 10:12:35 AM »

Hahaha maybe he should that creative energy towards making something other than forum posts...
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2015, 08:31:07 PM »

Hey. Yeah, this looks like a fun game; simple and easy to understand goal, and you can do a lot with both the puzzle and action aspects of it. Nice work.

Agreed about the blizzard. It does seem a bit much; simpler snowfall would be better, I think.

Wind could be a really annoying element / idea for a world, but that might fit in well with the "Super Meat Boy-esque" feel you seem to be going for with the physics. Not sure if I saw it, but do the levels loop vertically or horizontally?

Thanks, man. And no, they don't wrap or anything. I thought about doing that as one of the "world mechanics" though. For this I really plan on just knocking it out. Make levels, polish up some menus, and put it up on itch.io.

If it's well-received I have a lot more ideas and content that I can pump out, but for now, I kinda just want to release something. As mentioned in the OP, this isn't my full-time gig, so time is limited.

However, I did finish all of the levels for World 3. The art is done too, but I have yet to tile the levels completely. Here is a small segment that I really like the feel of. The "volleying" is the most fun part, imo.

Also, this bug.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:36:30 PM by Zack Bell » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:53 AM »

Volleying looks pretty fun. I think I'd make it so that successive volleys power up the ball, making it so that you have to volley to break through tougher blocks, rather than just playing it safe and throwing it at your leisure. But if you want either method to be valid ways to play, then go ahead; that's also a good approach.

That bug looks pretty close to a feature, haha.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic