Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 07:05:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTale of Tale's "Over Games" Presentation
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Tale of Tale's "Over Games" Presentation  (Read 46185 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2010, 11:50:11 PM »

actually i think it's kind of an insult to mr podunkian to compare him to ashford pride -- pigscene makes fun of pretentiousness but at least does it creatively/thoughtfully/humorously rather than with 4chan memes and caps lock

and @Anarkex, thanks for the responses, my main disagreement still is your tone/style of argument. for instance, you say ueda is "full of sh*t" when he says that ico isn't a videogame, which doesn't consider the possibility that he may simply be using words differently than you / defining videogames by different essentials than you are. what i mean is you seem to use words in an intrinsic manner, as if they were abstract ideals rather than tools of categorization and discussion (example: saying movies are games because they have goals). which is fine, but doesn't lead to very interesting conversation, only arguments over what words actually are or mean.

besides which calling such a respectable person full of sh*t is very distasteful to me, couldn't you just say he's wrong, or mistaken? in general i don't see why the tone in this thread has to be so hostile, especially towards people who are just doing their own thing and making games the way they want; you can express arguments against ToT or against ueda etc. without sounding that way
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:56:27 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

kwakkie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2010, 11:55:52 PM »

Sooooo... could anybody who disagrees on their 'games are not art' statement please list a few games that ARE art, Im getting curious now?

mirosurabu
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2010, 01:01:24 AM »

I agree, AshtonPride should be more civil if he wants some respect.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2010, 01:05:32 AM »

I wholly approve of Tale of Tales' product output.

I dislike any efforts to isolate anything into 'them and us' camps, as seen from many people around the TIGsource community, as well as implied by much of the 'Notgames' publicity from ToT. It's a great shame that the positive qualities of ambitions are disrupted by a handful of provocative negative statements which demand focus.

In short, I feel people ought not drag others down in effort to raise themselves up.

please list a few games that ARE art, Im getting curious now?
This is a trick, don't fall for it.

twitter: @docky
Renton
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2010, 02:31:14 AM »

Let's stop yapping about games and go back to making them.
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2010, 02:45:51 AM »

I don't know about other threads, but I don't find AshfordPride's comments here to be particularly offensive. Some are more intelligent than others, but offensive? Not really. I think exasperated sarcasm is a valid response to pretentiousness. It's not an attempt to shut ToT up, it's just an attempt to break up their self-righteous solemnity. I think allowing his style of complaining is allowing a diversity of expression.

If it was all-caps and incomprehensible I'd say it's trolling, but it's simply not. I wouldn't write my every post in that style, and wouldn't want to read an entire forum in it, but that doesn't mean everyone has to start asking AshfordPride to leave.

"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - G. K. Chesterton
http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2010, 05:17:48 AM »

@AshfordPride [from 2 pages back]

Okay, I took the time to carefully read your posts and extract salient argument points from it.  I offered some basic discussion around those points, hoping to open up a thoughtful discussion.

You react by telling me I'm passive-aggressive, a grinning troll, and then mocking my interpretations of your arguments, but without actually correcting them.

It was an honest attempt to have a reasoned discussion with you about what ToT are aiming to do with games.  I see that isn't going to happen.

You are twisting everything I said into a personal insult toward you.  It was never intended as such.  You should take some time out to consider why you're doing that.  You'll probably interpret this message as an insult too.

For example:

You say that the opening of my post is just me sarcastically mocking you.  I do not mock you at any stage.  I honestly and politely answer two questions that you've just asked.  If you can tell me how I could answer them (with the same meaning to my response) without "sarcastically mocking you" I'll amend my answers.

Further:

My interpretation of your first point was
"ToT fail to draw parallels between 'natural games' people have played for thousands of years and video games.  People play because it's fun, it provides challenge, and encourages interaction with other people."

You interpret that as me saying
"Why are you so fucking stupid AshfordPride?  Why would you even bring up this distinction between video games and natural games?"

You'll notice that I actually spent the two paragraphs of discussion around your point largely agreeing that they were wrong to claim such a harsh dichotomy between natural games and video games, and that it forces us to assume that by 'video game' they actually mean only a specific subset of video games.  Which greatly weakens their argument as all their latter claims of "Video games are [not] ..." must become "Some video games are [not] ..."

You seem to be arguing that the difference in the form of challenge/fun/interaction between single player video games and multiplayer video games (and all other games) is much less than what I believe.  We could have an interesting discussion about that.  But we really can't if you wrap everything you say up in sarcasm and insults aimed at whoever you're talking to.

Maybe most interesting:

When I dedicate a paragraph to saying how ToT are completely wrong about their assumptions behind who does and doesn't play games, you take that as me calling you wrong.

I can understand how it was hard to read my post and respond to it, because you are having to turn every point I raise into "Har har, AshfordPride is wrong!  Let's show it with our clever arguings and then laugh at him!"
AshfordPride
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2010, 05:51:56 AM »

@AshfordPride [from 2 pages back]
It was an honest attempt to have a reasoned discussion with you about what ToT are aiming to do with games.

Why would you do this?  It's like going into a McDonalds, seeing people shitting into buns, and then ordering a hamburger.  

Salt, I was joking, just trying to have some fun.  And I wasn't agreeing with you, just sort of bouncing off what you to write some more stuff.

We could have an interesting discussion about that.  But we really can't if you wrap everything you say up in sarcasm and insults aimed at whoever you're talking to.

We could, we are, we did.

----

I'm locking this thread now.  I'm sorry, I know there's no good time to do this without making me look like I'm storming off in a huff.  If anyone has anything else they want to say that isn't commenting on how many butts I licked, just PM me and I'll unlock it or something...

Oh.

You.

Guys.  

Anarkex has expressed valid interest in continuing posting here.  Interest that we don't share.  I'm out, you've all lowered yourselves to a bunch of baboons wearing harlequin masks.  It would seem that Anarkex wants to keep dealing with that though, so, good luck.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:21:10 PM by AshfordPride » Logged
Anarkex
Level 1

Still dope.

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2010, 12:16:25 PM »

I'd like to see a baboon wearing a harlequin mask sometime, do they do that? Their faces are pretty crazy already. I had this whole thing almost all typed up, and then I got CAUGHT UP FOR TWO HOURS AT DA BURSAR. Would be a shame to let all this fancy quoting go to waste.

and @Anarkex, thanks for the responses, my main disagreement still is your tone/style of argument.

eh.

for instance, you say ueda is "full of sh*t" when he says that ico isn't a videogame, which doesn't consider the possibility that he may simply be using words differently than you / defining videogames by different essentials than you are.

Not considering it because it isn't true. Do I consider the possibility that the sun rises in the West?

what i mean is you seem to use words in an intrinsic manner, as if they were abstract ideals rather than tools of categorization and discussion (example: saying movies are games because they have goals).

Ah, see, that actually wasn't me I was referring to before, though I do think that. I was having a laugh over how Icycalm once said that exact thing.

Quote from: Icycalm

But there is a yet simpler way of grasping in what way an old-fashioned cutscene was still a doing of sorts, indeed even a game, though a primitive kind of game, to be sure -- a cutscene-only game. A game with only a single rule: to just fucking sit there and watch the entire cutscene, preferably even in one go. Whoever managed to do it (and remember, these are TWO-HOUR-PLUS cutscenes we are talking about!), whoever watched the entire cutscene -- whoever FINISHED IT... had basically won the game. Whoever didn't finish it had quite simply lost. If this seems to you as far too easy a feat you are not thinking hard enough.

Of course, judging movies as games is kind of silly, as we see above. But in an in-depth conversation we need to consider in-depth definitions. Strictly speaking, a game needs to have interaction; not goals, because these arise naturally wherever there is interaction. However, when you get down to it everything you can do requires some action (which was Icycalm's point when he wrote the above quote), and so everything is sort of a game. This isn't something disputable, it's straight logic.

The definition of a "VIDEO game" is a little more inclusive. The semantics here actually are for once not worth arguing (I know, right?), but in general we can consider a video game, as Icycalm once did, to be a "completely original game designed to run on a computer". Let's say to exclude straight media that the rules must be hard coded into the game, because text on a screen describing a game is not a video game regardless of what Anna Anthropy thinks.

which is fine, but doesn't lead to very interesting conversation, only arguments over what words actually are or mean.

Which, when the argument is over what is and is not a "game" or "notgame" or "ungame" or "medium" or "art", seems to me is the entire argument.

besides which calling such a respectable person full of sh*t is very distasteful to me, couldn't you just say he's wrong, or mistaken?

First of all, who cares. Out of the two hundred ways to say someone is wrong I picked the one I liked the best. Second of all, I know he's not "mistaken", because he had a reason for insisting that Ico was not a video game: he wanted to dodge the so-called "negative stigma" of video games and elevate his work above "mere vidya" in the eyes of the ignorant. Sound familiar?

in general i don't see why the tone in this thread has to be so hostile

Uh, because it's awesome,

especially towards people who are just doing their own thing and making games the way they want

As I said before, this goes beyond Tale of Tales' output of trash games. They are slandering the hard work of all game devs, some of whom actually make good games.

you can express arguments against ToT or against ueda etc. without sounding that way

Yes, but it would be really boring.

Sooooo... could anybody who disagrees on their 'games are not art' statement please list a few games that ARE art, Im getting curious now?

Musihime Sama Futari, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike, Pikmin, Guilty Gear Accent Core, Bayonetta, Phantom Dust, Metal Slug 3, Monster Hunter, God Hand, Shiren The Wanderer, Sin and Punishment, Super Mario Bros 3, Contra: Hard Corps, ESP Ra.De., R Type, Unreal Tournament 2004, Jet Grind Radio, Gunvalkyrie, Halo, Fallout...

The list can go on.

Quote from:  Salt
You'll notice that I actually spent the two paragraphs of discussion around your point largely agreeing that they were wrong to claim such a harsh dichotomy between natural games and video games, and that it forces us to assume that by 'video game' they actually mean only a specific subset of video games.  Which greatly weakens their argument as all their latter claims of "Video games are [not] ..." must become "Some video games are [not] ..."

The only thing i'm not getting here is that there doesn't seem to be anything specific about that subset at all. Besides being "what we at ToT do not like." Other than that, yeah.

Let's stop yapping about games and go back to making them.

Good idea bro, but to make a game you gotta close the web browser first.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:23:14 PM by Anarkex » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2010, 02:26:15 PM »

in general i don't see why the tone in this thread has to be so hostile

Uh, because it's awesome,

I'm pretty sure at least 95% of the users of this forum disagree with that statement. So I'd advise you to avoid hostility in the future, if you want people to take you more seriously.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:49:52 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »

@Anarkex again thanks for your extensive replies, but yeah, saying that it's awesome to be hostile and that being respectful is boring kind of goes against what most people on a forum prefer, unless that forum is 4chan or something like that where most users are demographically adolescents

Anarkex
Level 1

Still dope.

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2010, 04:15:41 PM »

Come on, guys, it was a joke. And I really don't think I've been especially hostile. Maybe a little cold in my reasoning, potentially prone to exaggeration, but I don't think I outright insult people who are taking part in the conversation. Excuse me if I toss in a cuss here or some off-color remark there to prove there's still blood running through my veins, it's just how I work. Some people like it.

The only people I've been hard on have been Tale of Tales, which I think is comparatively kind seeing as they openly hate every game I've ever played, called me and my idols in game design worthless nerds, and have denounced the things I've loved the most as a waste of time. All of this without a tenth of the exposition I've put into my theory, nor a hundredth of the receptiveness to contrary arguments I have exhibited. Theirs is a summation, an exaggeration, almost a PARODY of the utter goofballery that is pitched around by games journalists constantly, in a whimsical high-flying land devoid of logic and perception. But they're serious!

And it's insulting because in spite of this, they're defended and adored even by the people they outright insult, just because they mask their insults behind pretty words that sound like a rebellion. Well, I don't do that. When someone is spouting absurdities, whether it's Ueda or Capcom or my own family, I'll say it. I won't hold it against them. I don't despise anyone in this thread no matter how foolish I think their opinions are. It's just that when you put your opinion up for discussion, you should be prepared to have it attacked.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »

I think everybody got on edge with this thread. I'm not even sure why you still wanna discuss stuff here.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2010, 04:33:41 PM »

i still think you're just wrong about them, and misinterpreting what they say into your vision of what they're saying, and getting offended at nothing, and being hyper-defensive of games that are good but could be a lot better. i mean, read this article for example:

http://notgames.org/blog/against-linearity/

it's against linearity, against cutscenes, for sandbox modes, and proposes some pretty interesting ideas like making the ability to skip difficult parts of the gameplay standard

that's somewhat different from what game journalists espouse, no? or how you present what you think they are saying in this thread

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2010, 04:53:02 PM »

I think everybody got on edge with this thread. I'm not even sure why you still wanna discuss stuff here.

I wasn't on edge. I'm still not sure why exactly I should be angry. I can't really get mad at some game companies' opinion. It's not like they're out shooting babies in the face or burning down orphanages.

AshfordPride
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2010, 06:59:38 PM »

that's somewhat different from what game journalists espouse, no? or how you present what you think they are saying in this thread

AshfordPride's commitment to stopping Paul Eres from saying stupid stuff like this is too powerful to let his posting end!

REBUTTED

Conferring with Anarkex!

ALL CAPS POSTIIIIIIIIIIING

Tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh-trolling!

Uh, I think that allowing the player to skip whatever he wants unravels the fabric of a game into something completely linear.  The game is exposed as nothing but a series of missions that the player can pick or choose.  Seems like the definition of linearity to me.  Just because a player can jump around the game as he pleases doesn't make the game any less linear.  It's like saying Marty McFly proves that time isn't linear.  

Again, I'd like to go back to point out just how terrible ToT is at video games.  These design decisions don't arise from genuine concern for video games, but for a hope that one day they'd be able to twist video games into something that they'll be able to enjoy with their lack of skill and ability.  He's asking the Major Leagues to play with tee-balls.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:39:35 PM by AshfordPride » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2010, 07:08:03 PM »

Jeeeeeeesus christ
TIGsource..... Roll Eyes

*dons spiritual gorilla suit*

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Anarkex
Level 1

Still dope.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2010, 07:29:01 PM »

I read a bit of that thing, Paul, but after a while it kind of made me nauseous. The article actually started out really well, but it seems like even his concept of "linearity" is skewed beyond all recognition. He's complaining about "linear" game segments infringing on his comprehension of the storyline, which is, well, absurd, because the storyline is the ONLY  part of game design that's necessarily linear.

It's really the same "storytelling" dross I see in every dumb Escapist video special and Leigh Alexander blogpost, with the added bonus of crying about how all games should contain New SMB's patronizing non-cheat cheat codes. I mean, why are they even bothering? Why don't we just remove the game altogether if storytelling is what they want?

This is really starting to wear me down now. I'm repeating the same things over and over that everyone ignores, tons of people tell me to stop flaming the forum because I said "ass" somewhere in there, and now it's spreading.

what makes you say i'm not defining it as a traditional game? things can be in two categories, something can be both a game and a notgame

This made my guts lurch so hard I nearly got a hernia. So, mission accomplished, I guess. There's no way you intended this to mean anything other than piss all over this thread. This doesn't even make sense in TALE OF TALES' incomprehensible dictionary. It doesn't even make sense in YOUR screwy definition from earlier in this thread. So there's these goals, right? There's some games that use DIFFERENT KINDS OF GOALS, and don't make them especially obvious! Those aren't games, because all games have obvious goals. And symbols and shit onscreen. Because Ueda said so.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is it going to be, man?

AshfordPride
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2010, 07:35:57 PM »

Tut tut, Anarkex.  You'll never get a straight answer out of Paul with that tone of yours!  

You honestly expect him to reply to you with any sort of concern for continued debate when you held the shift down, in what I can only assume is anger, just to make yourself seem better than him somehow?  

Paul, I give you full permission to completely ignore anything that my friend has said.  Go ahead Paul, please just tell him that his tone prevented you from saying anything.  It's the polite, civil thing to do.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2010, 07:39:09 PM »

I think Ashford has spent a little too much time around DragonMaw's pic.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic