Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411532 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 11:31:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTolroko - A John carter & Avatar inspired openworld game
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Tolroko - A John carter & Avatar inspired openworld game  (Read 63943 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2013, 11:40:15 PM »

Do you really need to save the entire world (every "touched" chunk)? If you can't modify it in any way, but it is randomly generated, then you could use a seed to regenerate the world in the same way. If you can modify it, it's a little more complex, but marking chunks that have been modified and saving just them, or just saving the altered portions from chunks could help.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »

Do you really need to save the entire world (every "touched" chunk)? If you can't modify it in any way, but it is randomly generated, then you could use a seed to regenerate the world in the same way. If you can modify it, it's a little more complex, but marking chunks that have been modified and saving just them, or just saving the altered portions from chunks could help.

Atm you cant modify the heightmap as a player, but the game modifies it when the tiles are generated, like flattening the ground when placing a building etc. in the future it might be possible to do those things as a player. I have been thinking about making a delta-compression scheme but im not so sure it would be beneficial. Atm its actually faster to load the chunks from disk than generating them. The generation process uses a pile of different fractal patterns that are quite complex to generate the terrain.

A bigger problem however is the network part...atm im actually sending all the heightmap data to the clients...and its alot =), but im only sending full quality for the terrain close to the player. Adding a local cache on the clients would help a bit, but you would still run into problems if you just takes off in one direction for a while. It depends on how the clients move around i guess. Sending just a seed to the clients + delta data would be much more efficient, i might try that some day.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2013, 01:12:56 PM »

New build:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3416639/tolroko-0.51.exe

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2013, 06:07:22 AM »

If you test Tolroko...please give me feedback! tell me whats on your mind after 10min of playing ( trying to play ). I have no master plan for this project...I only have a vision, and i kind of makes things up as I go. So your feedback is very much appreciated. thanks =)

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »

...another screenshot

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »

EVERYTHING HAS FRESNEL!!!

I added fresnel to the rendering pipeline, it sure makes everything come alive =), the screenshots does
not make it right, you should see it in motion.

PS. non of my screenshots has any bloom effect, i have not implemented that yet.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »

That really makes a massive difference. 10x times more realistic/delicious.  Hand Fork LeftAddictedHand Knife Right

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2013, 03:51:22 AM »

That really makes a massive difference. 10x times more realistic/delicious.  Hand Fork LeftAddictedHand Knife Right

sure does =)

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »

yet another sunset =)

deathtotheweird
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2013, 10:03:46 PM »

this looks really great.

I tried the build you linked but I don't think it works. I load it up and only see this: http://i.imgur.com/qaNkw0E.png

The only button that seems to do anything is map. F3 crashes the game and I puts a message into console, but nothing else works.
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2013, 11:29:11 PM »

this looks really great.

I tried the build you linked but I don't think it works. I load it up and only see this: http://i.imgur.com/qaNkw0E.png

The only button that seems to do anything is map. F3 crashes the game and I puts a message into console, but nothing else works.

you probably just have to wait a bit longer. it takes a long time to start the game the first time. try using the player name "dev" then you will get some more logging stuff, keep your eye on the IO queue.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2013, 07:37:21 AM »

Lets see if this new build works.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3416639/tolroko-0.53.exe

deathtotheweird
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2013, 10:35:37 AM »

I waited quite awhile and nothing happened. But this new build works fine. Looks very nice in motion, though I struggle to maintain 40fps. 2.4ghz quad core/4gb ram/nvidia gtx650/windows7 if that's of any use.
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »

I waited quite awhile and nothing happened. But this new build works fine. Looks very nice in motion, though I struggle to maintain 40fps. 2.4ghz quad core/4gb ram/nvidia gtx650/windows7 if that's of any use.

Sounds a bit low, i have 60-100 fps on my i7 2.8 + gtx 660 ti, in linux.
I suspect i have lower fps in windows though.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2013, 12:11:55 PM »

oh btw, i added a priority system for the loading system so it would load the area closer to the player first, thats why the new version is so much faster to start.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »

This weekend I'm going to work on the ship trading system, that is a special system for trading gods between a trader and one of your ships. To be able to trade you have to dock your ship at a nearby port , and at you will have to walk down to the street level and find a trader. the gods will be automatically transfered to your ship. In the future I'm thinking maybe you can use use some kind of communication device to talk with traders in the vicinity that you have already established contact with without leaving your ship. But when you get to a new city etc you have to get down on the streets to find a trader.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2013, 07:55:18 AM »

Well, I got a slight Outcast vibe from the tech demo, so if this will end up something close to that, then boy, oh, boy this will sure be something!

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2013, 05:33:34 AM »

Well, I got a slight Outcast vibe from the tech demo, so if this will end up something close to that, then boy, oh, boy this will sure be something!

=) , outcast u say, yea maybe. We still haven't really come up with an actual background story etc for the game. But it will probably go something like:  You are a human, gets stranded on this alien planet together with a bunch of other humans ( other players ) , how you get there i don't really know yet, maybe your ship crashed, maybe some kind of star gate or something. Your missing is just trying to survive to start with. You start out with nothing, you eventually get yourself to a city, make contact with the creatures living there. And you will have to make a living. Probably by getting a ship and running fighter missions or by being a trader. Exploration will of course be an important aspect of the game since the game world is really big and procedurally generated. Diplomacy is also something we would like to have in the game. You as a player can do missions for different factions to affect the stability of the world. Provoking one city to launch an attack against another and so forth.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2013, 05:56:01 AM »

maybe some kind of star gate or something
How about you're part of a team working on the first long-range trial of a human-tech gate between the terrestrial facility and the lunar test site.
But surprise, surprise it all goes horribly wrong and instead of opening a gate to the moon, a whole swathe of the facility and surrounding area gets sucked through a rift in space and scattered over a bizarre alien world.
That way you could have scraps of human tech such as weapons and vehicles spread about and goals including searching for and rescuing your colleagues from about the planet and using their expertise to try and reconstruct the gate in order to return home.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2013, 06:48:28 AM »

You're a member of a human tribe, on earth. The young men of the tribe, before they can be considered a full adult and be allowed to marry, undergo a ritual together. This involves taking lots of drugs, which transport them in a trance to an alien world. They must survive there for a year, and bring back a certain object or idea, to pass the test. The other world is vaguely aware of this and traditions exist about how to deal with such humans.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic