Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 05:45:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKing's Crypt (Arcade style dungeon crawler)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: King's Crypt (Arcade style dungeon crawler)  (Read 5806 times)
Omega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »

Your animation has a fair bit of lead-in (relative to its overall duration)--will attacks then also have a bit of delay before they take effect, or does this not reflect the underlying logic?

It will have a slight delay, but at full FPS it actually runs pretty quickly. If I had to compare the flow through of the attack and timing, it feels the most like Link's sword attacks in LttP.

Omega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »

Quick Update:

My awesome wife had emergency surgery, so things will be a little slow for the next few weeks. On top of that, we are about to have a major product launch at work, so that's taking up most of my time. More stuff is coming soon!

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »

This game looks great! I really like the moodiness from the lighting.

edit: Oh wow, I'm super sorry. I can't believe I missed your post directly above mine. That situation must be pretty tough.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:36:27 AM by xix » Logged

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »

Oh dear--I'm sorry to read of your wife's surgery. I hope that she's okay, and that she recovers or has recovered fully! :/

As to the launch at work, good luck with it! I hope that it goes well. ^_^

It will have a slight delay, but at full FPS it actually runs pretty quickly. If I had to compare the flow through of the attack and timing, it feels the most like Link's sword attacks in LttP.

... I've honestly never played Link to the Past (to which I presume that the above abbreviation refers), I don't think. ^^;

As to the frame-rate, that's fair enough.

That said, when I said that the animation seemed to have a fair bit of lead-in, I think that I was referring to it relative to the length of the whole animation. Even at a high frame-rate, I imagine that this results in a delay--albeit brief--before the attack lands, thus affecting the flow of combat.

I'm not suggesting that this is bad, please note; it's just an observation.

Omega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »

Oh dear--I'm sorry to read of your wife's surgery. I hope that she's okay, and that she recovers or has recovered fully! :/

As to the launch at work, good luck with it! I hope that it goes well. ^_^

... I've honestly never played Link to the Past (to which I presume that the above abbreviation refers), I don't think. ^^;

As to the frame-rate, that's fair enough.

That said, when I said that the animation seemed to have a fair bit of lead-in, I think that I was referring to it relative to the length of the whole animation. Even at a high frame-rate, I imagine that this results in a delay--albeit brief--before the attack lands, thus affecting the flow of combat.

I'm not suggesting that this is bad, please note; it's just an observation.

Thank you for your continued support Smiley It's honestly refreshing knowing that I have you and a few others always looking at my work! As for the lead in, I'm looking at the idea of building in a little forgiveness during the attack. The general concept being that if the total attack takes 200ms, I'll make the player invulnerable for the first 100ms. I think of this like the dungeon crawler version of ledge forgiveness which you might see in platformer.

Omega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2017, 05:38:49 PM »

Update - Combat Reimplemented

This update took me way longer than I'd hoped, but it's finally done! I've re-implemented combat in the GameMaker version of the game. This has been a coordinated effort in re-working my attack animation, adding a new sprite for money, and re-implementing the older behavior for slimes. With this update, I'd say this marks 80% of re-implementing the functionality from the original demo. In addition to that functionality, I've been doing an immense amount of polishing. I believe that with my next demo (coming very soon), this will feel like a very whole game. Without further ado, I present the current screenshot of combat in action.

P.S. In addition to keeping a devlog here, I will also be posting updates to the itch.io page here

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »

You're almost there with the reimplementation, it seems!

As for the lead in, I'm looking at the idea of building in a little forgiveness during the attack. The general concept being that if the total attack takes 200ms, I'll make the player invulnerable for the first 100ms. I think of this like the dungeon crawler version of ledge forgiveness which you might see in platformer.

Interesting--I'm intrigued to find out how well that works in practice! ^_^

Hmm... Could it be exploited to prevent damage? Could this in turn be detected and made into a "parry" mechanic, perhaps with additional damage on the "riposte"?

Thank you for your continued support Smiley It's honestly refreshing knowing that I have you and a few others always looking at my work!

It's my pleasure; I'm glad if I've been of service, and hope that I continue to be. ^_^

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic