Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 12:01:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMicRogue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: MicRogue  (Read 11780 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 07:39:42 AM »

thanks True valhalla. Actually those enemies haven't bee removed from the design, just taken out for the current build. I do agree that the strategy the player has isn't what it used to be, and I am working hard on getting it back in but refined and much better, then what was in prior. if you have opinions though, feel free to join in this discussion here we are pretty much having this exact conversation. Also the levels might be getting slightly bigger, but I am still on the fence about it.

dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »

Really cute, very fun.  I can certainly see this working well on mobile devices, if that's the intention.

I've got to add another vote for a 'wait' option (maybe by clicking on the player, if you don't want to add another button).  I found it frustrating (not in a good way) having to pace back and forth to try and get the first hit in on a monster.  (Given how high the stakes are, allowing the monster to have the first hit is really not an option.)

I wasn't a fan of the ongoing poison damage, if that's what it was.  (Something invisible seemed to 'hit' my character occasionally.)  More indication of what was going on in that case would have been nice.

As others have said, the game leaves the player very little choice on what to do.  (I didn't play the earlier build, so I wasn't expecting the game to be particularly strategic.)  Maybe you could emphasize the idea that the game is more about chance than strategy: make it very random but very quick to play, like a slot machine.  (I gather they're quite popular. Wink )  For instance, things like the type of spells(/number of fireballs) you get at the start, or even your character's class, could be randomized.  Anyway, just an idea.
Jcup
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »

Awesomely awesome game :D I'm in love with the graphics and just the simplicity of it all Smiley The randomness gives it a fresh feel. Great Job!  My Word!
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2012, 11:46:37 PM »

I just played again, and I wanna share some new thoughts: As some others have said, the lack of a "wait" option is actually the core of this game's strategy! It plays more like a block pushing puzzle game, where I'm basically trying to move myself so I can hit them before they hit me. So the strategy is largely about spatial planning. And plus, even if there was a "wait" option, the enemy AI is a bit unpredictable, so it's not like they would just run at you.

Anyway, this is quite simple and fun for a 2-5 minute play session. Perfect for mobile I guess Smiley I'm sure you'll be adding more stuff to it - you definitely have more work to do - but I'll be keeping an eye on this! Good job, bro.  Toast Right

alexbard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2012, 01:51:35 AM »

I just played MicRogue and it is great! But game need "wait" option (as any roguelike with 4-directional movement)..and sometimes i was getting to an empty level without any enemies.

.. and game would be even more great if levels will be more random.

Latest blog article: Day/Night cycle and shading
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2012, 06:10:49 AM »

Stevesan: I actually have made several changes, all towards enforcing the spatial puzzle idea. the Major one is the dumping of the random AI. Now the enemies path right at you, but you are right, since combat is so basic the game is all about the movement.

alexbard: Yeah I understand that many people want a wait command, but if this game did have one it would make the game far to easy. Especially with the newer AI, it makes the enemies like a conga line where they just step up to get smacked. it does make sense for many other roguelikes, but the costs are not there. usually a roguelike with a wait command has less impact on the game play. Wait commands have a cost associated with them. each turn costs something, usually from your Food bar. so in a normal game you can wait, but it does end up costing you turns later. I dont have a food bar, so that makes the wait command have no cost. Also usually wait commands are used to get a first strike, which makes sense, but for my game you do not only get first strike, you get the only strike. most enemies in roguelike have more HP then taking one hit. which means I would need to change all my current stats. Another thing is just because you have first strike, doesn't mean you will actually connect as most games have miss percentages.

so a normal wait command doesn't work because there is no disadvantage and to big an advantage. But that said I do understand why exactly people want one. its basically because you end up in situations where you must step into a monsters path and must take damage. this is unfair to the player and they should always have a way of dodging that. so I am currently reworking the combat to counteract this problem. I hope that when I have fixed it, the player will not need the skip turn command, if they plan their movement out.

stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2012, 09:06:26 AM »

Removing the randomness would be cool, but I'd say don't make everyone just path at you. Obviously the 'swapping' eye shouldn't just do that. It'd be cool to have various enemies have different - but not random - patterns, like PacMan's ghosts.

And I do like how combat is pretty damn deterministic. I'm not a huge of randomness in my games.

bome99
Level 1

Pipes And Mushrooms

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »

Really enjoyed the game. I like roguelikes.
It has an approachable, and nice simple gameplay, it's great.

More dungeons, weapons, enemies and a shop. And you might have a quite addictive game :D
Jerom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2012, 04:01:36 AM »

I have a lot of fun playing the recent updates (v.15): it's really addictive! it's more strategic since there are no fireballs, but defeat more than 3 immortal skeletons in a room is nearly impossible, and sometimes, I am stuck by these skeletons...

bartholomew
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2012, 03:01:56 AM »

i like it a great deal. As stevesan said it feels a lot like a "movement puzzler" so why not play with that a bit more? certain skills (with cooldowns or something), like a dash that moves you in a straight line until you hit something, or one that lets you move and hit, one that moves you diagonally. Could be a bad idea but you know brainstorming and all that. =)
But my biggest "issue" is that a mistake screws you over too much. I can get down to zero health in the span of one level too easily and whats worse is that it can feel like it hasn't been 100% my own mistake. Perhaps a way to replay a level or something but i wouldn't know how to implement it so it fits with the theme of the game.
I don't like the enemy behaviour or i don't understand the rules, which is perhaps the same thing. For a while i thought when the rats see you they flee or something which was nice because it gave the game more depth because i could calculate how they would move (or so i thought, pattern recognition and so forth). So something like that for the enemies, simple rules, the ogre will always come for you, rats don't etc

edit: I have only just seen the official devlog. I seem to be a bit late to the party (I played version 007)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:47:16 AM by bartholomew » Logged
st33d
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2012, 04:03:26 AM »

Actually - it might help to either roll over (or on mobile devices to hold down) on a monster and it will show you the tiles it can move into.
gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »

I like it!
Problems comes from empty rooms :O nothing to do, you must avoid it

Blog | Last game Number+
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic