Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 07:06:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGameswhat are the top 10 indie games of 2010?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: what are the top 10 indie games of 2010?  (Read 21583 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2010, 02:28:16 AM »

maybe i'll make a new post with the most common games mentioned in this thread? 'tigsource's favorite 50 indie games of the year'

Do ittt.  Except with some sweet YouTube vids or screenshots.

@doomlaser, mark johns
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2010, 02:34:49 AM »

Not trying to start a flamewar here, but can anyone tell me why some of you guys objectively think that VVVVVV is better than Meat Boy? I haven't had a chance to fully play through VVVVVV yet. I got frustrated with it a couple of times and thought that the leveldesign was by far not as intriguing as Meat Boy. The whole gravity mechanic also got old pretty quickly, imo.

Again, don't want to hear any stupid fanboy arguments, just want to know which elements make VVVVVV so good, since it gets so much high praise. Is there something I'm missing?

slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2010, 06:49:21 AM »

Haven't played Super Meat Boy yet, but I did really enjoy VVVVVV. I guess I just thought the level design was really clever and varied. I especially liked the mind-bending of the wraparound levels. Overall, it was simple but fun, I really liked the music, and the price fit the amount of content. I was quite happy.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2010, 08:21:12 AM »

Again, don't want to hear any stupid fanboy arguments, just want to know which elements make VVVVVV so good, since it gets so much high praise. Is there something I'm missing?

I'd say the music, the level design, the charm. It's a completely different beast from SMB. No game is objectively better and since this is a thread asking personal top 10 lists objectivity is not even asked for.

At this point I got more out of VVVVVV since you simply need to play it through. You can do that easily in one or two sittings, it's instant gratification to a point.

SMB on the other hand will keep my attention for quite some more time, I need to unlock more characters, beat A+ times, dark world levels, get more bandaids. For people that don't enjoy terribly hard challenges so much VVVVVV I think is way more enjoyable.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2010, 01:03:58 PM »

main differences for me are

a) the layout. in vvvvvv you explore a world, non-linearly, in any order you want. it's an adventure, a quest. in smb, you complete a series of short, specified levels, in a specific order. it's more like a test than a quest or a world.

b) music: vvvvvv just has far better music, and music is a good portion of the enjoyment of a game.

c) story: vvvvvv had a more interesting story. smb's story wasn't bad either, but it felt more humorous and less involving; like the characters were people who you laughed at, whereas in vvvvvv you cared about the characters more. i didn't care as much about saving bandage girl as about saving the other crew members, because those members had a bit more personality.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »

a) the layout. in vvvvvv you explore a world, non-linearly, in any order you want. it's an adventure, a quest. in smb, you complete a series of short, specified levels, in a specific order. it's more like a test than a quest or a world.
I haven't played SMB so I can't make the comparison, but I loved this about VVVVVV as well. I like it when games with this kind of non-linear level progression link their levels via some kind of believable "hub world". It feels nicer than just having menus.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:13:32 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2010, 01:58:19 PM »

Super Crate Box
Shoot First
Desktop Dungeons
Fish Face

Well, this is embarrassing. I can't even think of more 2010 indie games that I played. Minecraft has been completely consuming my gaming time during the first half of the year, and in the other half I haven't been playing games all that much. I barely even touched the Humble Indie Bundle as well. WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE.
Plattfisk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »

Fish Face was 2010? I loved that game Kiss
Supermini_man
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2010, 04:13:08 PM »

In no order in particular:

Love: A Digital Story
VVVVVV
suteF
Super Meat Boy
Stremmerz
Cave Story Wii

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »

Manuel Magalhães you have the exact same name as my brother.

You're not my brother are you?
Are you spying on me?
Blink Blink
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2010, 02:19:10 AM »

At this point I got more out of VVVVVV since you simply need to play it through. You can do that easily in one or two sittings, it's instant gratification to a point.

SMB on the other hand will keep my attention for quite some more time, I need to unlock more characters, beat A+ times, dark world levels, get more bandaids. For people that don't enjoy terribly hard challenges so much VVVVVV I think is way more enjoyable.

Shit, that's really interesting, cause I think VVVVVV is a much tougher challenge than Super Meat Boy. I completed SMB in 2 nights and had a blast - but I can't finish VVVVVV. I just can't get through it, to me it's MUCH harder and MUCH more hardcore than Meat Boy.

googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2010, 03:32:36 AM »

Shit, that's really interesting, cause I think VVVVVV is a much tougher challenge than Super Meat Boy. I completed SMB in 2 nights and had a blast - but I can't finish VVVVVV. I just can't get through it, to me it's MUCH harder and MUCH more hardcore than Meat Boy.

when you say "completed" how do you mean completed? i don't even know if it's possible to get 100% completion in smb in 2 nights, but i got 100% completion in vvvvvv (100% in the sense that i got all the trinkets) in two hours, and i've sunk nearly seven hours into smb without even beating the light world yet
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2010, 03:37:39 AM »

ok you're either a dumb or a moron

i have 30+ hours in smb and am only 80%ish done

i finished all of vvvvvv in like 3 hours or so

light world isnt completing the game light world is like easy mode come on now quit being so silly

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2010, 03:46:00 AM »

also:

Super Meat Boy
L'Abbaye des Morts

and then in no particular order:

Hero Core
Minecraft
VVVVVV
Amnesia (too chicken to play but watched dragonmaw play it)
Super Crate Box
Recettear
Teppoman 2
Streemerz

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
mirosurabu
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2010, 05:16:19 AM »

VVVVVV has AWESOME music and... I didn't play SMB yet (I'm waiting for a VVViiVVVare release).

Some of the games I liked include:

Digital A Love Story
Bit.trip.runner
VVVVVV
Joe Danger (up until the levels that force you to use level editor)
Doodle God (must pick a casual game)

Also, every game by Gregory Weir, Increpare and Bentosmile. Probably forgetting someone else too.
Supermini_man
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2010, 05:17:47 AM »

Manuel Magalhães you have the exact same name as my brother.

You're not my brother are you?
Are you spying on me?
Blink Blink

http://www.dramabutton.com/

(But no for both questions. Cool coincidence though!  Gentleman)

eva_
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2010, 05:32:34 AM »

Amnesia (too chicken to play but watched dragonmaw play it)

quackquakquack quack quack quack
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2010, 07:30:19 AM »

give the dude some slack, he's like the only other guy here giving teppoman 2 props.

ninja senki is also pretty awesome.

glorious trainwrecks' pirate kart 2 was amazing, even despite my input.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2010, 03:55:07 PM »

VVVVVV has AWESOME music and... I didn't play SMB yet (I'm waiting for a VVViiVVVare release).
[...]

the wiiware version of smb has been dropped so unless they do a retail version you're going to be waiting for a pretty long time  Durr...? also pc version has level editor coming so just get that !  ! !

also yeah vvvvvv had really awesome music but as a Game and not a Soundtrack SMB was definitely better imnsho

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »

Huh. People's lists are making me think I didn't play enough games. I especially tend not to catch the commercial releases; I don't have a lot of money and what have you.
It's hard for me even to think what was this year... and then I played things only just this year that have been out for a while. It's hard to say!

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic