Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411567 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:34:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGetting likes/followers on web page
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Getting likes/followers on web page  (Read 819 times)
trilby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »

OK so I have started up facebook, twitter and a website to log progress with my game development but the question is how does one go about building up the right following.  Sure I could go on facebook and post "can everyone I know like my page please" but 90% of people wont be remotely interested in the content just doing it as a favor.  Only started the pages 2 days ago as well so there is next to no content on them yet but still think starting to get followers is important early on!  Any tips anyone?

RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:03:37 AM »

Make quality content. Get a spell-checker.

trilby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:25:05 AM »

What and people just come flooding in from nowhere?!  Cant see it somehow.  It's more a question of what routes are available to get the word out there?

RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

It's a million dollar question, man. Shrug Everyone wants an easy answer to that one -- how do I drive traffic to my website for <topic>. Read some of the previous posts, and you'll get an idea how diverse opinions are. 5/20 recent topics in Business are basically about this very subject.

But there are certain commonalities, two of these being quality content and professional presentation. It's a first step. You are not on the wrong path. I clicked your site and the last post (at the time) had 3 sentences and 4 grammar errors. Say you do bring a 1000 unique visitors via a shout-out by someone well known. What impression will you leave and how many people will subscribe?

I believe this list is the biggest/best one for indie marketing. But it mostly comes after you create some content worth sharing.

trilby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »

Good advice.  You're right about that post you read.  Must try harder!  My grammar is usually pretty good so I'll blame the beer  Toast Left

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »

my advice: make quality articles, and try to make original articles.
I mean if you write a review of the latest COD or HALO game, your website will be lostin the sea of articles and that's bad SEO.
Now if you make an article about super secret indie games from soviet union that only a dozen people know about, or give advice or tutorials or write opinion that is original and relevant (not gratuiutously polemic) or do something like that, then google will make its' magic and you'll be at the top of the search results for these subjects and you'll get a lot of visitors.
And you'll need to make regular content(not once a year or sthg)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »

yeah, you're basically asking us 'how do i get people to view what i have so far, which is basically nothing'. make something worth reading first, *then* ask how to get people to see it. not the other way around.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 03:58:58 PM »

Eres is right.  Even if you're getting random views, what do they matter if they're random, what do they matter if there is nothing for them to return to, and what do they matter if you're not making a connection via a content provider / audience relationship?

On my own site, which barely breaks 50 views in a week on average, I've found there to be a strong correlation between consistency of updates and visits.  I've had a few articles that land hot and get hundreds of views in a day, but I don't really care too much about those views because overall it's not going to lead to much.  Having a variety is also important, in terms of being interesting to a perspective audience.
trilby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 01:35:07 AM »

Awesome. Cheers guys.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic