Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 11:09:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMonster Prom [AVAILABLE!] <3
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Monster Prom [AVAILABLE!] <3  (Read 95400 times)
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2016, 03:18:28 AM »

reason i still like old art:

- fire is her power ,seems playful.                                               - eat pens? bored? (why the monkey face btw?)

-personality + power obvious                                                     - digglet on his shoulder (hair designer?)

-clumsyness , slow a la Frankenfreak                                                  - it's cute but message isn't as obvious
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:13:50 PM by b∀ kkusa » Logged
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2016, 02:08:13 PM »

first one is better for once lol

Yeah, that one was hard in the sense that is probably the best event illustration from the former artist. We discussed this one with the new artist. I initially wanted the exact same pose for BLUE, but he argued it because the event text describes how you rise your team's morale and lead them to victory. So -to him- the first illustration seemed a bit misleading by depicting BLUE as a clumsy player that seemed to be losing.

Check the devlog for MONSTER PROM
And follow us on TWITTER
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2016, 02:38:24 PM »

Oh there is a text description, then they are both a miss Tongue lol

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2016, 11:00:27 AM »

Oh there is a text description, then they are both a miss Tongue lol

Yeah, that one would be (and this is still WIP):

That week an epic dodgeball match took place.

Everything seemed lost, but suddenly you gave an inspirational speech to your team that fueled everybody’s spirit…

leading to a spectacular comeback!

You clearly are a natural born leader!
You gain +2 CHARM

And follow us on TWITTER
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2016, 04:08:48 PM »

https://chikorita157.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/maidsama-ep17-scr1.png

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: July 03, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »

reason i still like old art:

- fire is her power ,seems playful.                                               - eat pens? bored? (why the monkey face btw?)

-personality + power obvious                                                     - digglet on his shoulder (hair designer?)

-clumsyness , slow a la Frankenfreak                                                  - it's cute but message isn't as obvious

I respect what you're saying.
But thing is that you're not talking about the art style as much as the creative direction.

I mean, what defines the main difference between artists are stuff like shapes, color, expression, etc. At least as I understand it.

Let's focus on the first illustration.
Reality is that this is first we got. Then we iterated through feedback and suggestions from mine and other people.

So what I mean: she using fire is not a thing of the first artist but a change done because of feedback we gave him. Only thing now is that we liked the new artist's proposal so much we decided not to give him feedback. So what I mean is that your current comment on these ones are not aimed to neither the 1st or the 2nd artist but to us as creative directors.

With YELLOW it happens something similar. We liked more the creative direction of YELLOW having these little darkness minions instead of shadow hands. Change on the expression is -I must admit- more related to the art-style. But prob was the old YELLOW expression was a bit too cocky for him.

And I agree with you: old BLUE on GYM was maybe cuter in a clumsy way. It was probably my fav event illustration from the former artist. Main issue was what I was discussing before: the event text says something like your char's team was losing until you gave a killing pep talk that drove the team to victory. So the char must seem like going all in for the victory. But yeah, I feel more attracted by the old one, which also seems fitter for the char, right? As said: I agree on this one!

And follow us on TWITTER
tamaii
Level 0

mad one man developer

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2016, 08:41:12 PM »

Really like art and Characters are so interesting : )

Tangleworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2016, 10:43:55 PM »

Just stumbled in here, this looks pretty cool!

From the pictures provided, I really like the new art style. There's a noticeable use of straight lines and cartooning techniques that makes the characters really crisp and readable, and I love the colour palette too.

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: July 04, 2016, 07:10:57 AM »

"Taming of the Tsundere". Still laughing at that!

And follow us on TWITTER
Uprising Studios
« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2016, 07:39:37 AM »

Guys! glad you came to say hi at gamelab.
Truth is your art looks amazing, very talented!
The character design is impressive too  Shocked  Beer!
Congrats on the great work!

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2016, 12:49:38 PM »

New events! And its comparison with the old artstyle!

And follow us on TWITTER
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 04, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »

I'm worried about the black girl slipping into awful stereotype step by step
The voodoo kali imagery is a big nono

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: July 04, 2016, 01:33:22 PM »

The voodoo wuuuuut?!

The reference is "Evil Witch" + "Disney Villain" + "Shakespeare".
The only think relatable to voodoo -i think- is the skulls, which are a wide symbol from lots of cultural references. Not to sound harsh, but looking a "voodoo kali" is being a bit biased in the sense you're looking at her under the lens of "is she a black girl cliché?". Really, until this very same moment I didn't saw her as nothing close to a voodoo kali witch. Well, I still don't see it. I see a Disney Villain. Probably Maleficent.

It is AUDITORIUM and all chars are with costumes. GREEN will be probably a dragon, YELLOW a musketeer or a king (playin' with the darkness minions as servants) and BLUE as a white knight.

And follow us on TWITTER
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 04, 2016, 02:51:29 PM »

i think that the stereotypical aspect was enhanced by the fact that right under there's the green one doing kung-fu stance while having slit eyes.  Now that you say that green might be a dragon....
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 04, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »

The voodoo wuuuuut?!

The reference is "Evil Witch" + "Disney Villain" + "Shakespeare".
The only think relatable to voodoo -i think- is the skulls, which are a wide symbol from lots of cultural references. Not to sound harsh, but looking a "voodoo kali" is being a bit biased in the sense you're looking at her under the lens of "is she a black girl cliché?". Really, until this very same moment I didn't saw her as nothing close to a voodoo kali witch. Well, I still don't see it. I see a Disney Villain. Probably Maleficent.

It is AUDITORIUM and all chars are with costumes. GREEN will be probably a dragon, YELLOW a musketeer or a king (playin' with the darkness minions as servants) and BLUE as a white knight.

That's true for all culture, that's even more true that black people don't have a super range of representation that like to insist on those aspect.

I understand what you feel, I use to be at the same place. I'm not asking you to change or anything, you are free. But I have seen and experience what those cliché, intentional or not, and I'm now sick of it, especially after witness black women continually harass with graphic depiction of that to undermine and threaten them, of course nobody really care you don't heard about it because nobody is listening. You should just be aware of it, there is a reason people see that are utterly repulsed. I DO understand that it's more a reference to vampire too (color and collar) so that's really unfortunate overall.

I'm sad because apart from that the actual drawing and scene was AMAZING  Cry

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: July 04, 2016, 03:26:55 PM »

i think that the stereotypical aspect was enhanced by the fact that right under there's the green one doing kung-fu stance while having slit eyes.  Now that you say that green might be a dragon....

xDDD

I see someone dancing to some kind of Techno music, like in a rave. And other person told me he was dancing like an Egyptian. Anyway, he's not Asian.

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: July 04, 2016, 06:03:34 PM »

Really like art and Characters are so interesting : )

Oh, that's so nice of you, tamaii!
We're glad you like it (:

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: July 05, 2016, 07:53:46 AM »

Just stumbled in here, this looks pretty cool!

From the pictures provided, I really like the new art style. There's a noticeable use of straight lines and cartooning techniques that makes the characters really crisp and readable, and I love the colour palette too.

Woah! Thanks!

Yeah, right? The key word is "cartoonish" (in a good way). And the colors are lovely too!

And follow us on TWITTER
jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: July 05, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »

This art has a really solid style! Love the concepts behind some of the characters.

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2016, 05:16:07 AM »

Guys! glad you came to say hi at gamelab.
Truth is your art looks amazing, very talented!
The character design is impressive too  Shocked  Beer!
Congrats on the great work!

Thanks a lot!
The artist was on a hiatus but yesterday he came back to start working on NPC's expressions. Soon we will reveal the NPCs too (:

glad to see ya at Gamelab. Guess we will meet again at Barcelona World Gaming or whatever the name is. Or at Indiecade Europe!

Best regards,

J. Quijano

And follow us on TWITTER
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic