Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 09:10:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Critique my crappy pixel characters :)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Critique my crappy pixel characters :)  (Read 5541 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 11:18:55 PM »

Crazy
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 11:44:10 PM »

Gomez

took like 5 years
bahaha.

But yeah seriously if it takes hours to animate a smiley you're either just starting out or were on drugs when you started.

Perfectionism is one thing, just plain slow is another.

However, you've been kicked in the guts long enough. Just take care not to say retarded shit on forums, people tend to call you out on it more than they would IRL. "Animating is hard" != "smileys take between hours and days to animate".

--

The stuff Schoc posted is all you really need to get started, then comes the hours and hours and hours of actually doing it to get your skillset together, with a healthy amount of taking in new art in between. Drawing (non pixel) helps too, as does regularly posting your work for criticism Smiley Best of luck!

stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 07:17:35 AM »

Haha yeah thanks. So far I'm taking about 15-30 minutes per 16x16 so I guess I'm doing ok Tongue

i wanna be the guy
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 07:28:48 AM »

Haha yeah thanks. So far I'm taking about 15-30 minutes per 16x16 so I guess I'm doing ok Tongue
i'd like to pop back in here and say that while you're just starting out, don't bother worrying about how long it takes you to do something

hell, the only time you really need to worry about it is if you're in a situation where a 16x16 smiley takes you DAYS to animate, or you're considering freelance/commissioned art and feel like you should try speeding up your process a bit in order to look a little better for clients
Houndninja
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 04:40:57 AM »

if it takes an individual several days to animate something like that, i'd recommend they find another line of work
It's called nitpicking over little details.
some people are perfectionists and it's very easy to strive for perfection on that small of a scale.
I agree! especially if your new to pixel art..
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic