Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 11:23:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Inspiration for weird enemies
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Inspiration for weird enemies  (Read 7795 times)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »

I think all the crazy-ass monsters are a little out of place. It's like, "extreme, extreme, EXTREME." You put them into the shots and they look like melodrama, like they're trying to be creepy. In acting for example, it's a lot worse to portray trying to portray anger, in a scene that requires anger, than actually portraying just a little anger. The monsters are like, "these are creeeepyy... be creeped."

My fav. are the little munchkin lizards who look kind of like children but maybe are just small. They have a leader. I get feelings of faith, religious zeal, perverse sexuality, preying on the young. The little ones look dangerous, simplistic and testy. Their leader looks very unassuming. I wonder what those spikes on their clubs do. Their "creepiness" is subtle and hidden away, like you'd have to peel away at it. The other monsters are kind of in your face.

I'd put the crazy-ass guys in sparingly. They can over-power your atmosphere. They feel more like a climax, you know? Like you have to work your way up to that level of revulsion. If something is too sudden it's confusing instead of disturbing. If you overuse it, it becomes dull. Shocks are a spice. Use 'em carefully. You can't eat a meal of salt.

Or maybe I don't understand your game at all.

At the risk of redundancy, your game is beautiful.

I know you didn't ask for this.... The main character is really appealing, but she's kind of lacking the same strength of personality that your environments have. She's got style, and she's young, and she's female. Maybe she's a little spunky. But she's missing a core human trait to connect with, too mannequin. If you find that trait, which could be expressed very subtly, even just in the way she moves or idles, then I think it would be much easier to decide on something that is creepy, because it would naturally contrast with her. Just a thought. I'm thinking because I'm inspired.
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »

Shocks are a spice. Use 'em carefully. You can't eat a meal of salt.
I think you got a very good point here. I thought nobody would like the lizards and the duck mage because they would make the game looks too childish. Thank you for your advise, it will help us.

About the character lacking personality, well there's actually 3 playable characters in the game and, hopefully, their personality will be shown by their animations and weapons (that aren't shown on the mockups but are present in the prototype we're working on).

And thanks to those who provided photos of weird animals I totally didn't know about. These are really great source of inspiration.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »

You're welcome. I look forward to seeing it in motion.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:53:37 AM by toast_trip » Logged
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »

Sorry for the necro-post, but any updates on this?  I still adore the style this has going for it.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

Sorry for the necro-post, but any updates on this?  I still adore the style this has going for it.

Devlog
Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2012, 07:00:44 PM »

Hey, this game looks amazing! I love the style. If it hasnt already been mentioned, I think the venom black stuff from spiderman 3 might be good inspiration:

I just want to ask one thing: is the lack of anti-aliasing a creative choice? Your backgrounds have nice smooth edges, but all sprites have jaggies. I like jaggies in games that have a conscious retro style, but that doesnt seem to fit your game.
Personally, I think it would be much better with AA, but I understand it can be a polarising issue.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »

If it hasnt already been mentioned, I think the venom black stuff from spiderman 3 might be good inspiration:

Always reminds me of

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »

Devlog
Thanks a bunch!
GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2012, 05:09:10 AM »

What do a lot of things people find disturbing in real life? Abortion? Starvation? Drowning?
Do what binding of Isaac does and try and put across these things within your character: Abortion=fetus hanging from monster? Starvation= really thin monster with body/limbs snapped in half?

[eidt] wait..did I just necro-post...so confused! D: [/edit]

MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2012, 09:27:39 AM »

is the lack of anti-aliasing a creative choice?
No it's just temporary. All sprites will be smoothed  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic