Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 04:59:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Game I'm trying to develop
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game I'm trying to develop  (Read 1248 times)
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2012, 12:31:11 PM »

I'm not quite sure if this is the place to post because while I do have something interactive, I won't be linking it here (yet).

I've introduced myself to this forum way back in 2010 on the introductory board but haven't been very active here at all, and I mean to change that because I want to get more into game development and out of instant-gratification illustration for deviantART, and I figure the best way to do that is to hang out in a community of indie game developers.

So anyway, I'm trying to build an action platforming game featuring one of my characters. Because I hate doing pixel art (got nothing but respect for it but I lack the patience) I used Flash to produce my game character sprite. I'm using Game Maker and I'm still learning how to properly use it. I've been working on getting my character's movement and controls to feel right.

I guess I'm looking for general feedback and impressions on my design so far. Attached is a link to a Livestream video that shows me testing the character (the video features my sprite and my music, but a borrowed tileset; I intend to make the real background graphics myself as soon as I learn how).

Video: http://livestre.am/2XunX

My next step is to finalize the character's move set (struggling to come up with kick animations and make them work) and design something for her to actually test out said kicks with. Open to suggestions, comments, critiques, ideas...whatever you've got.
Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »

Hey!

First of all, I like the character design, it's pretty awesome.
My only complaint is the walk animation. It seems really weird. I think her legs are moving too slow for the speed she is going, and i'm not sure if she's supposed to be walking or running. ( Animation indicates run, but there is no bobbing up and down and the speed says walking).
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »

Thanks for looking! I'm glad you like the character.  Smiley

I'm still trying to get the run right (it's supposed to be a run). It wouldn't be terribly difficult to incorporate some bobbing in the animation so I'm going to take a look at that. I've gotten some feedback from others saying she's too slow, others saying she's too fast...hard to get an overall bead on where I should go with it. I don't want her to be Sonic the Hedgehog but I don't want her to be NES Simon Belmont either.
Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 01:27:47 PM »

either way, if it's a run i think you should speed her up and speed up the animation, otherwise the "rush" thing becomes too much of a contrast in my opinion
Azure Lazuline
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »

Why not actually let us play it, even if it's nowhere near done? It's like how you might show someone your sketch to see if it has interesting composition. With character movement, there are a LOT of little things that you can only really 'feel' when playing it yourself. Don't be afraid of having people play something unfinished, you have to get that artist mentality out of your head!

Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:57:47 AM »

either way, if it's a run i think you should speed her up and speed up the animation, otherwise the "rush" thing becomes too much of a contrast in my opinion

I was going for the Mega Man style run...looks like a run but doesn't go that fast. I haven't had a chance to tweak it yet, but I didn't want to make it look like I was disregarding your comment.

Why not actually let us play it, even if it's nowhere near done? It's like how you might show someone your sketch to see if it has interesting composition. With character movement, there are a LOT of little things that you can only really 'feel' when playing it yourself. Don't be afraid of having people play something unfinished, you have to get that artist mentality out of your head!

I didn't mean to imply that I don't want anyone to play it. I would actually love to get some feedback on how it feels--I've got my kids doing it at home. Rather, my issue is I'm not exactly sure HOW to let people play it. How does one go about making an EXE file available to the board, since I'm using Game Maker?

Total newbie here.
ink.inc
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »

export as an executable from gm's menu

then compress and upload to any hosting site

i use host-a hosting, but other people will recommend other sites

http://www.host-a.net/
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »

export as an executable from gm's menu

then compress and upload to any hosting site

i use host-a hosting, but other people will recommend other sites

http://www.host-a.net/

I see. I'll give that a try when I get home from work. Thanks.
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 07:55:10 AM »

I made a new topic in the Feedback forum: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26652.0
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic