Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 10:43:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)The evolution of 8-Bit art. (video)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The evolution of 8-Bit art. (video)  (Read 4171 times)
shao
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »

Beginning with early Atari and Nintendo video games, the 8-bit aesthetic has been a part of our culture for over 30 years. As it moved through the generations, 8-bit earned its independence from its video game roots. The idea of 8-bit now stands for a refreshing level of simplicity and minimalism, is capable of sonic and visual beauty, and points to the layer of technology that suffuses our modern lives. No longer just nostalgia art, contemporary 8-bit artists and chiptunes musicians have elevated the form to new levels of creativity and cultural reflection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYL1DsY8GMI&feature=youtu.be

P.d.
Sorry if this is not going here.

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 02:15:46 AM »

Halfway through the video, why are they showing pixel art that ISN'T 8-bit?

Slow
Level 1

chirp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 02:30:04 AM »

Because they're all hipsters who think they know what they're talking about.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 03:04:39 AM »

I played those flashy segments backward and they told me to kill innocent and make cave story clonesфіфіфввіцкегенгшододлол
олорлролролролорлорлр
 Hand Knife RightEvil
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »

Because they're all hipsters who think they know what they're talking about.

Oh humanity!

Elk
Level 1

エルク

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »

It's more of an advertisement for those musicians I think lol

For business inquiries send me a forum PM! No Revenue-Share stuff without proper contract.
Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »

This kind of feels offensive when they spoke about 8-bit pixel art..

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »

it's true that the term "8-bit" is not really adequaetely used here, and mostly used by younger generations who were not around at the time of the real 8-bits.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »

Anamanaguchi, Jesper Juul, complete disregard to any of the restrictions that actually define "8-bit" and without which you just have a bunch of bad MS Paint saturated-color drawings with no excuse, the "art" undercurrent in the background ("some people use it just for fun, other people use it to create works of art"), an "8-bit painting" of the Twin Towers complete with "subversive" explanations...it's like this video was made for the express purpose of trolling me. The other PBS game shorts I saw in the past had pretty much the same effect on me.

While I'm here, if anyone wants a real introduction to the technical aspects and restrictions of "8-bit music" then

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »

This video really bunched my panties.

Kramlack
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »

I've been avoiding watching this video for the reasons people have already mentioned. I would probably lose my shit if I heard someone passing off 16bit for 8bit.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 11:25:44 PM »

I've been avoiding watching this video for the reasons people have already mentioned. I would probably lose my shit if I heard someone passing off 16bit for 8bit.

Yeah, don't watch it. They consider anything with large pixels to be 8-bit. Even if it's ... 3D Outraged

Instead,

, even though you've probably seen it and it has very little to do with the topic but it's frickin' awesome!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:45:14 PM by Eigen » Logged

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 07:21:19 AM »

I think you're all overlooking the word "evolution" in the title. It doesn't mean "strict adherence to the original", y'know.
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 08:25:09 AM »

I think you're all overlooking the word "evolution" in the title. It doesn't mean "strict adherence to the original", y'know.
except that """"evolution""""""" doesn't actually apply to a strict set of graphical and/or audio limitations???

changing anything about those limitations automatically stops that thing from being 8-bit

E: going by your thought process, 3d models are pixel art just because i said so and also because art has evolved to the point where 3d models are now possible
brettchalupa
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 08:52:32 AM »

I really wish they just referred to the art as pixel art and not 8-bit art. It is almost like 8-bit is a buzzword or something. Facepalm
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »

"almost"?

It's been used for at least the last decade to just mean anything that sort of reminds people of old video games (just like in this video).

It's one of those terms that have become pretty much unusable unless you're talking to other nerds of the relevant field.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »

except that """"evolution""""""" doesn't actually apply to a strict set of graphical and/or audio limitations???

Like I said, it doesn't mean "strict aherence" – it's about what has developed ¡"*^FROM^*"! those original 8-bit expressions.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »

incidentally this thread made me search google images  Facepalm
http://www.google.com/search?q=hipster+meme&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 11:50:36 AM »

Like I said, it doesn't mean "strict aherence" – it's about what has developed ¡"*^FROM^*"! those original 8-bit expressions.
what's developed FROM those strict limitations is no longer 8-bit though
is

the

thing
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 12:24:33 PM »

Basically, an oil painting using similar shapes and themes commonly found in rock carvings is not a rock carving, or an evolution thereof in any other way than any other visual art.

Because it's not carved in rock.

What it is is an oil painting inspired by or imitating rock carvings.

And the uninitiated calling paintings like it a rock carving does not change anything.

The original medium is the defining factor, not some loosely defined look or feel or style.

These things are important yes they are >:U

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic