Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 01:55:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Finding a 3D artist for "next gen" 3D game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Finding a 3D artist for "next gen" 3D game.  (Read 2506 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »

I am making a framework for a 3D game that will use DX11.
I will need high end models for this game as the game is aimed for current PC machines.
My issue? Seems to be impossible to find good 3D artists that are also willing to work as freelancers(or per asset).
I am not sure what to do, I think finding an artist is more a matter of having connections and networking. I was googling for artist and most results were horrible, it even amaze me that some of these artists out there think the quality of their work can make them a living.
So do you have advice where I can find GOOD 3D artist willing to do freelance work? I am also willing to pay accordingly, but within reason. Or in other words I will have to see if I can afford it.
So this is basically not a job offer, I am just asking if you know some dark corners of the internet where aritsts hide. Also, if you have networking and contacts you can share them or PM me if you want.

Master of all trades.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »

http://www.polycount.com/forum/
Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »

shouldn't this be in Collabs?

iffi
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 06:14:09 AM »

shouldn't this be in Collabs?
So this is basically not a job offer
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 06:22:32 AM »

He just asked where to search for good freelance 3D artists...
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 07:28:08 AM »

Some artists contacted me, I offer one $250 so he realized I am not really a company and just a private person. I guess a "next gen" model should cost at least $500 even $1000 to make?
I am not sure how much to offer...
I will also post here at the paid section.

Master of all trades.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 11:13:17 AM »

You should also take a look here: http://www.turbosquid.com/
There are thousands of high-quality 3D assets to choose from (though most of them are high-poly and probably not really suitable for games, unless you're doing a point & click adventure).
Ashaman73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 12:33:06 AM »

Some artists contacted me, I offer one $250 so he realized I am not really a company and just a private person. I guess a "next gen" model should cost at least $500 even $1000 to make?
I am not sure how much to offer...
I will also post here at the paid section.
An artist earns around ~75k in US game industry (source), that's 1.5k per week (freelance could demand more).

Next gen character model:
1. hi-poly (zbrush)
2. retopo/low-poly (max/maya)
3. texturing
4. rigging
5. animation

Time depends on your qualtiy requirements, but I'm sure that you need at least a few weeks for a professional model.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »

Hmm, I think a proffessional artist can chug a model in one week. A few weeks sounds too much. But anyway, yea, it is expensive.

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 06:02:21 AM »

Sure, I want to make this though. Tongue
I have no problem with the techincal challange, and I think I am ready for it. The only(big) issue is 3D art assets.

Master of all trades.
ink.inc
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »

3 solutions

1. More cash.
2. Learn to do it yourself.
3. Befriend a 3d modeller.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 08:04:24 AM »

You can't charge per-model. Period. No respectable 3D modeler/animator is ever going to take that deal. Most of them have gotten burned in the past, and have learned that manner of pricing structure just isn't feasible. Also, if you charge per model, you can expect to get a large number of poor to mediocre models, since that will be the best return-on-investment for the artist.

There is a reason why so many indie gamers go with pixel-art. It is much cheaper, much easier to do yourself, and even bad pixel-art has a charming simplicity to it.

3D models are a much more daunting proposition. It took me years to learn how to make decent 3D art, and I still pale in comparison to most of the crowd at Polycount. (never learned how to paint proper textures, just not my strength) Most "next-gen" character or enemy models can take a week or more of full-time work to produce. They are literally sculptures at this point. There is little difference between producing a "next-gen" model asset and commissioning a fine art piece.
Ashaman73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »

The only(big) issue is 3D art assets.
Believe me, this will really kill motivation ! I'm developing my engine and several game attempts for more than 12 years now, and art was always the show stopper. Would I not be caught in the investment trap, I would start again with 2d pixelart. You can't really understand how jealous I'm about all this pretty cool pixelart projects flying around here.

3 solutions

1. More cash.
2. Learn to do it yourself.
3. Befriend a 3d modeller.
Eventually 2. and 3. worked halfway for me. I've teamed up with an old school friend and I'm doing lot of the gui/icons/models/textures myself. Next-gen is out of question, I needed to turn down many technical art features (normal mapping etc.) to lessen the art workload and choosed stylized art and a few tricks (gradient maps) to stem the heavy burden.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 04:20:28 AM »

Hmm, it seems TurboSquid are also doing Custom 3D... did anyone try to use that service?

Master of all trades.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »

I know plenty of people who work per-model! But the quotes are going to be based on respectable hourly rates -- which is probably going to be 25-40 dollars an hour. Can you afford that?

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 09:19:17 AM »

But the quotes are going to be based on respectable hourly rates -- which is probably going to be 25-40 dollars an hour. Can you afford that?

This is exactly why major companies like to get talented artists in salaried positions. That way they can work them to death without paying overtime, and the value per artist per hour is much cheaper that way. Hoping to produce a game with "next-gen" 3D graphics without having a salaried artist on staff isn't really feasible these days. The original poster would be much better off sticking to 2D sprite graphics, or compromising on a more stylized 3D approach.

In theory, you could try finding a young 3D student or recent graduate, and hiring them for a fairly low salary. But then you might feel bad about yourself when you're forced to milk them for content, and the overtime starts to make their lives miserable.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 09:59:06 AM »

I think that if you really want to make the game with quality assets, one other way would be to learn with Blender or some other capable 3D modelling app, get some assets (free or paid) from Turbosquid or similar site, and then tweak the models, animate them etc. Or it could at least serve as a basis/prototype stuff and when you have a working prototype, just post a "job"/collab offer here on TIGSource, on Polycount, Gamedev and other big gamedev forums. Maybe some good artist will then join you in making the game.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »

Also, if one of your primary needs is basic humanoids, I would point you to MakeHuman. This is a basic application that can help you to produce and adjust fairly good-looking humanoid meshes very quickly. It is a pretty good method for producing character models quickly, and serves as a good basis. With a little Blender tweaking, you can add basic clothes and accessories without too much trouble. Not a complete fix, by any means, but good starting point for the less artistically inclined.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 12:26:47 PM »

I think I have found the perfect solution, I will talk about it soon. XD

Master of all trades.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic