Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411615 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 06:10:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)beginner pixeler... some help?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: beginner pixeler... some help?  (Read 6793 times)
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 11:48:44 AM »

Open it in any image editor capable of resizing images and set the resizing method to Nearest Pixel or Nearest Neighbor (depending on the app).
Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 08:29:12 PM »

The delete button should be beside the
and [Modify] buttons. Not sure if it applies to threads though I only know it applies to posts.

Anyway, why would you want your pixel art to be bigger? Do you mean like, scaling? 4x scale is pretty huge. 2x scale is kind of enough but it really depends on what you want. You can try to have all your spritework in Paint and hit Ctrl+W and set the percentage of the new size to 400% or 200% or whatever. As long as it's in multiples of 100%

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 06:21:11 AM »

The delete button should be beside the
and [Modify] buttons. Not sure if it applies to threads though I only know it applies to posts.

Anyway, why would you want your pixel art to be bigger? Do you mean like, scaling? 4x scale is pretty huge. 2x scale is kind of enough but it really depends on what you want. You can try to have all your spritework in Paint and hit Ctrl+W and set the percentage of the new size to 400% or 200% or whatever. As long as it's in multiples of 100%
Yeah, I tried, but when I press an error occurs and says something about me not being able to delete it (it may be a bug, I've come across a few repeatedly on this site, but its okay)

First, if I'm really going to be making this into a game, I need a designated... length times width? Like 320x480, or 640x480. I dont want to go along making random scenes that end up being different sizes/dont fit the dimensions etc. So I kind of found a dimension size I liked for my game, and realized the house scene left alot of black empty space so I decided to double the size. I probably wont do this to anything else (except if the player is in like a small enclosed area or something) because it would just be too big. Also, great information to know from now on!  Smiley

Open it in any image editor capable of resizing images and set the resizing method to Nearest Pixel or Nearest Neighbor (depending on the app).
Thanks this worked perfectly!  Grin saved me alot of time and trouble.

Planning on putting up an update, pretty happy with how the house turned out, working on some grass and stuff, not sure if this sort of game can be tiled at all (probably save alot of trouble on making the ground/grass for each scene) ... I'll go work on it and come back soon with something!  Wink
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »

okay, I'm having some real trouble on grass and whatnot, and the only tutorials I've found on grass are just:

(took this from another thread, but you get my point, just tile grass that is a complete front view)

In the game, I want the player to be able to go more then just left and right, I want the player to be able to walk around (up, down, left right) a little (the only game I can think with this is scott Pilgrim, but many others have this sort of layout).

(tried out a few different techniques, none of which look good Sad)

I just dont know how to go about doing the grass. With the tree, I just outlined it, along with the leaves, filled in, and added some detail, but grass doesnt really have an outline, and you down just color in, the colors are what makes the outline... if that makes sense. I really want the grass to have a sort of cute look, and I wasnt sure if I should change up the palette (i used the same palette as what I had on the leaves in the tree... but I'm not sure it works as well as it did with the leaves)  Concerned

also, wasnt sure if I should also switch the palette for dirt (i was going to use the same palette as i did for the wood in the tree..) but, there will be trees in the scene. Will it look overused or weird with the same colors for dirt and tree trunks? Undecided
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »

http://petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »

not really what I was looking for. I wanted something more of a

sort of feel. the site you linked me to was really minimal on everything except the "bring life to your sprite" (or whatever it was). I do appreciate the effort though  Smiley ,
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »

Just a request, but if you're going to post other people's work in your thread, can you please write an attribution underneath so I know who made it?
Yeah sure, I will from now on,

First one picture is Owlboy created by D-Pad Studios, and the second is mock up done by Gas 13 from pixeljoint.
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »

Sad  still having a ton of problems just making grass, no ones really given me any advice on my previous questions (about grass ans stuff) . I'll post an update (been working at the grass but still not making much progress) and hope ill have more time to get the grass done tomorrow.

ive come a long way, but its practically nothing in comparison to what I have to do to create a finished game  Concerned
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:22:04 AM by beestings » Logged
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 09:59:21 AM »

EDIT: another update, kind of a really bad mock up of screen layout. Still working on the grass... and more so on the programming aspect of things.

WHY IS GRASS SO DIFFICULT?  Facepalm
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic