Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 10:42:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)What do you think of my sprites for a Shoot 'em up?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What do you think of my sprites for a Shoot 'em up?  (Read 1234 times)
IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »

Hi!
Im a programmer and I out right suck at doing art.
But I’ve tried doing some sprites for my game and this is what I’ve got what do you think of it is it good is it bad, why is it bad why is it bad.

Thanks for you criticis!
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »

Poorly drawn, very high contrast colors

Also use goddamned transparency, magic pink is the number one eye murderer
IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »

Poorly drawn, very high contrast colors

Also use goddamned transparency, magic pink is the number one eye murderer

I use "magic" pink for my transparcy in the game.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »

I'd get rid of the pink while you're drawing and just add it in when you render the image if you need it in for transparency; staring at that for a while would blind me Tongue

Here's some criticisms:

• Shape
    • Tail thickness should reduce as it gets further from the body, the blue dragon's seems to get bigger
    • Looks like it only has one foot, maybe draw the second staggered behind the character with a darker/more saturated colour
    • Wings aren't wing shaped, round the bottom part inwards and give it a point coming down at the tip (bad explanation, I'd take a look at some dragon/wing pics on google and go from there)
  • Shading
    • I'm sure someone better at art than me will come along in a while and offer better advice, but for a start you want to stop using 'pillow' shading, which is when you go around the edge of something with a slightly different colour (ie. helmet on blue dragon or the body connecting to the black/grey dragon's wing). Instead, pick a light source direction and try shading it with a colour thats darker, more saturated and a slightly different hue to the main colour. Imagine hat you're drawing is a 3D object, and how it would look with an actual light on it
  • Colours
    • I'd choose some less bright colours, bright blue bright green etc can be a little hard to look at

That's just a few points to look at, keep working on it though - it'll be cool to see how the sprites progress Smiley

IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »

I tryed to remake the dragon.

Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Now I'm going to program  Coffee
JWK5
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

Judging from your apparent skill level and what it looks like you are trying to accomplish currently I recommend starting here:

Once you get a little better and the basics of value (brightness and darkness) post back and I (or others) can show you other aspects you can improve on (but for now it is best to take it one step at a time so you don't get overwhelmed with the process).

If you're interested in the specific terms for the layers of light, here there are:

The dotted line divides the lit side (the side facing the light) from the unlit side (opposite of the light).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:09:27 PM by JWK5 » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic