Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 01:58:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Dota's character style guide
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dota's character style guide  (Read 5205 times)
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »

Someone at work linked me to these and I thought they were absolutely brilliant.  Thought I'd share it with you...

Character Art Guide:
http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterArtGuide.pdf

Texture Mapping Guide:
http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterTextureGuide.pdf

blinkok
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 06:27:31 PM »

here's the workshop

My 2D Stuff twitter: @blinkok
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »

So much about character contrasts and it looks no better than Warcraft 3 clones from days of grim 2000s. Its like they made up whole shape\color thing after making all graphic (which happens a lot).
Also, I think that proportions and composition are not really beautiful.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:30:49 AM »

That's really punchy and edgy and all Cobralad but I think many people like the aesthetic a lot and the game is played by millions, which gives it a little more heft than your idle words. Just saying.

I feel that they could tone down the bloom a tad and I'm still not sold on the idea of normal mapping just about everything (especially at the kind of scale things are presented in dota) but I think the lighting and silhouettes work nicely. The game is very easy to read at a glance.

Dan: Yeah saw these linked on polycount, interesting stuff. Its all fairly simple, logical stuff but it's nice to have it presented in a well thought out, well collated manner.

The_Ulf
Level 0

The_Ulf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:15:34 AM »

Pissed as I am at some of the character design that doesn't depart enough from their Warcraft 3 ancestors in my opinion constituting intellectual property theft (I'm looking at you, Axe!), you've absolutely got to respect and admire Valve's impeccable art direction on the game.  And I must say, I am excited for the customizability of swapping out weapons and accessories on champs ala TF2 and the Steam Workshop.

The One The Only The_Ulf
Götz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »

sure it's not a great departure from "Blizzard Style", but I think it still is a great character design work and a really useful document.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »

Very, very nice information for a character art noob like myself. I love how short it is and illustrates the point nicely. Bookmarked.
Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:08:26 AM »

I like what they taught about color schemes like polar opposite colors, etc but I think it kind of limits the colors that you should use for a character. Thoughts?

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 01:54:53 AM »

They are not saying "paint character in 2 primary colors" its rather "choose several dominant colors so characters wont turn into salad".
Kiriban
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 02:04:39 AM »

Anyone already made it from this guide?  Smiley
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »

I like what they taught about color schemes like polar opposite colors, etc but I think it kind of limits the colors that you should use for a character. Thoughts?

Nah, I think they hit it right with the color examples. Loved that character color key example. As a newbie at art, I fell into the trap of sticking too much to color theory.

On that other topic, the reason they kept most characters similar is because DoTA is a really high learning curve game so a lot of people won't want to relearn character appearances.. and they already have a lot of memorable characters who they don't want to lose.

Are there any tools that analyse how much value is used on a sprite or what colors are used most?
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 04:29:12 AM »

A histogram. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_histogram
Very useful, actually Tongue The levels tool in photoshop draws a value histogram to help redistribution, so do most value/colourspace scaling tools.

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 07:59:09 AM »

@DanFessler- There is some great practical advice in these. Thanks for sharing!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic