Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 06:27:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Masa's game sketchbook
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Masa's game sketchbook  (Read 1613 times)
Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »

So I decided to start this thread, as I regularly develop some mockups / designs for games besides the ones I'm working on.

---------------

Concept: SENSIBLE WORLD OF SOCCER franchise revival & evolution

(clicky-clicky thumbs for full awesomeness)

As a big fan of both Sensi and the 2007 Xbox Live Arcade version, back in 2010 I did some mockups of what I would do to SWOS if they did an updated version (with more than just graphics). You can check more images at my deviantART gallery for it.

I also did a brief design doc / plan with added features the game would have, as the XBLA version is mainly 720p graphics and little else. I believe SWOS doesn't need to be forever set in stone - improvement is not desecration, and I believe part of the lack of commercial appeal these days is because they haven't updated the rest of the game to match more modern feature sets and conventions:

+ improved graphics with more kit and stadium detail
+ unique stadiums
+ expanded manager features
+ better / more sound fx
+ properly implemented online play
+ web social media integration for sharing replays and screenshots, etc.

The plan also included expanding SWOS from "Sensible World of Soccer" to "Sensible World of Sports", adding, over the years, Futsal, Ice Hockey, Rink Hockey, and Tennis - this idea served a triple purpose:

+ grow the game beyond soccer, as a "multi-sports franchise"
+ added value to purchasing yearly updates
+ there was already Sensible Golf, and I believe the Sensi template (fun, simple to pickup hard to master gameplay) would work great in other sports as well

I simply don't understand why Codemasters crapped all over the XBLA version, and doesn't do anything with the franchise. Of course, it's hard for me to even talk to someone about this, as it's either spam folder or no reply. Some russian studio licensed Cannon Fodder and did a 3rd one in 3d, it got a limited release and so-so reviews. I don't know how they managed to get hold of someone at Codemasters to look at it.

The point of my long post is...

A) Am I better off trying to develop this idea into it's own thing (I've been thinking the name "Pixel Soccer" and "Pixel Sports" sounds apropriate, for PC / Mac / Tablets)?

B) Would it even be possible or would I get sued by Codemasters (mind you, all pixel art is done by me and not taken from any source, photos on the background would be licenced), since the game is very similar to SWOS? It would be a pixel art soccer game with more features, but big bad lawyers are bad.

C) Anyone know Jon Hare or someone at Codies to pitch this to? lol

D) It's not worth it, forget out it!

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading, any feedback would be appreciated.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:56:25 AM »

I don't get why they would sue you. As I see it, this game is just one of the football manager games of which there are lots. Unless you copy all the gameplay/graphics/etc. from them, you should be okay. But you should be aware that for example the names and logos of football teams might be and probably are copyrighted and therefore you would have to contact all of the clubs for a permission to use their names and logos in your game. A similar issue might occur with the players.
Therefore I think that doing this game is a bad idea. You could do it without thinking about the above issues but then you would have to release the game for free.
waxx
Level 1

head to the right

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:20:43 AM »

As the guy said before, you would have a lot of problems with licenses as far as clubs go and players for that players.

Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:27:20 AM »

Yes, I realise that. I would handle it similarly to how the original Sensi and even today PES and FIFA handle that - clubs / players would have names which are not the same, but similar (ex: "Manchester United" would be "Manchester Red").

They could sue because it would be very close. It wouldn't just be a manager title, you could also play it just like Sensi.

I don't think I'm pursuing this, at least for now. Because it would make most sense under the SWOS IP, both for legacy and commercial reasons. And I'm not seeing myself work for months to develop a prototype, talk to Codemasters, and then get shot down and all that work goes down the drain.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic