Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 05:41:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Making Bad pixel art Good...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making Bad pixel art Good...  (Read 2743 times)
GCshepard
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2012, 09:52:39 AM »

...When you're not a very good pixel artist (artist in general, to be frank).

I'm currently working on the more final stages of designing a rather large project of mine. As I've begun reaching the final stages of development... I've gotten to the point where I've learned enough to realize that some earlier founded ideas of mine have been flat-out bad.

After reading through a rather enlightening series of pixel art tutorials (http://finalbossblues.com/pixel-tutorials/), I decided to realize that my previous artwork has flaws. The problem is that I'm not good enough of an artist to understand how to fix it.

If you want a basic background, here it is:
Science space station Chiptune was a daring attempt to go sub-pixel (yes, sub-pixel). The project succeeded by opening a portal to the unknown nth dimension, but at a great price. Strange geometric creatures and ghastlike figures (that I currently do not have drawn) poured out of the portal and took over the space station. Attempts were made, but the people of Pixelonia were unable to understand their strange vocals of Wub-wub. When the king of Pixelonia realizes that his six daughters are missing after the event, he makes the recapturing of the space station a galactic priority. You are the task force assigned to use the new Byteonator to take back the station.
It's currently overdone, but it gets the point across that I do not take the game seriously, but it's still serious enough. Somewhat like how Binding of Isaac sets itself up, but without the creepy part. In case it's important, the game will be built with singleplayer, local and public co-op, and possibly versus. Hence the different ship designs below.

Before I say anything more, I'd like to present my flawed monstrosity to the judges:

Some things I think I did right with the sprites:
-Dithering is decent in most areas. (I spent a LOT of time when I made this).
-Light/Dark silhouette is pretty good for the player sprite (signifies important things like engine, gun, and cockpit placement).
-Also has a good identifiable general silhouette

Things most obviously flawed that pop out at me are below:
-the color palette is "straight" and downright bad.
-the enemies have no life to them, and I'm unsure whether they need animations of jiggly juiciness or something else.
-the tiles on the left are still below par.
-some of the structure is just poorly done.

Before I delve into detail on the bulletpoints of obvious error, the color replication of the enemies is in fact heavily tied into the aesthetic of the game. Every area that the player progresses through has a specific color designated to it. If you were worrying about a massive explosion of rainbow-flavored barf, no worries! If you think that having each area assigned a specific color is another bad design... voice your opinion and... compromise?

Regarding the color palette, I need to add more depth and quality to the palette. Adding a third, brighter "cluster" color for each hue is necessary, and adding transition colors is as well. The problem is that the balance between hues is rather important. Admittedly, the current palette does not have the balance required either, but that's just another reason why I need to change it. Due to the need for the balance, I'm unsure how to start with creating the palette. I've never made a good palette before, so I have no idea where to start.

Regarding the enemies, I'm unsure whether their general blandness is what's wrong with their blandness or if they just need to be animated a little. I'm hesitant to change from the circular shape, but if I need to... I guess it's possible to create all 13 separate sprites for the different attack types, but that would be a lot of work, when I already have a huge amount of art to be done. Taking the enemy and redesigning it into something with a non-geometric structure is something I'm fine with if I have to. It doesn't actually have any meaning to the background story, so it is something I can change.

For the tiles, I have no idea what to do with this. If you want to see an example of what this will look like in use, I do have a mock-up that I can upload just fine.

The structure comment is rather self explanatory. The ships are a little unpolished, as are the tiles. This is why I think redoing the whole ordeal with a better understanding of my subject matter may be beneficial.

Anything that you can give input/feedback on would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you have general criticisms on anything you see or read, let me know. I'm all ears right now. If you think I would benefit from completely redoing my art, I'm game for that.

wow that was a long post...
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »

Okay so I'm new just like you, and I dont really have a right to give advice, but heres what I got:
GCshepard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »

Okay so I'm new just like you, and I dont really have a right to give advice, but heres what I got:
(image)
Thanks, that's actually pretty helpful. It's nice for once to be told "do this exactly". I'll most likely have to reduce the amount of hue change, but I'll experiment with both a higher and lower amount of hue change... see which one looks better.

I'll give a go at a basic recolor and return with the results.

EDIT: That wasn't that bad... I did a recolor for red. I'm waiting to do the others once I get a better knowledge of how to use GraphicsGale.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:35:23 PM by GCshepard » Logged
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »

I'll also post some more. Currently doing an online summer course and am taking a test... right after I'll get on it, I have some more tips for you :)Good edit though, its improved.
GCshepard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »

Thanks! Here's a full recolor for the enemies. May not be completely done, but it's much better than it was before.

EDIT: Due to the nature of the post, I feel as though my requests lack structure. I lack anywhere that people could contribute/help me get better past the color palette. I shall continue my endeavor privately.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:09:02 PM by GCshepard » Logged
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:22:55 PM by Trevor Dunbar » Logged

Toucantastic.
Hue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:24:34 PM »

I don't understand why this is here.

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »

^^ I second that, and I also dont see it wise to do a beginners work for them. This limits the amount of creative work they might do on there own, restrains them from getting a hold of their 'style' etc. I do like these edits, and they make the sprites much more sensible (before I didnt really see how a circle was an enemy) . Its stuff to think about and consider but by no means that this idea and use it. Think of your own ideas that portray your game the way you want it to be portrayed.
Kazuyo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:32:26 AM »

http://imgur.com/jzAII

I think that would help you in some way Wink
Hue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 01:00:39 PM »

http://imgur.com/jzAII

I think that would help you in some way Wink
This is an excellent example of dithering, I'd seriously study this.

irishcream
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »

@GCshepard

When designing the art for a game - you have to think how it's going to look altogether. It's easy to get tunnel vision on a single sprite but you have to think that in the end this needs to be one cohesive piece. One simply piece of advice around your palette is to limit the amount of colors you use. I'm not talking about 'limiting your palette' in the way that makes it run on a Commodore64 but limit the variety of colors you use. Don't be religious about not adding colors but when you do ask yourself it really improves it or just makes it busier.

When I design game art I have the mindset like I would be designing a poster or some other graphic. You might try playing with color relationships. Complimentary colors can have a nice "pop" if done right - analogous colors can give you an interesting almost monochromatic feel. Play around with colors just as colors - see what colors look good together and accomplish the feel you want.

As per shading - I will contend that in a single object you want to increase the saturation as you decrease the value. If you want distant objects you may consider desaturation. Remember the more you desaturate distant objects the more "hazy" it will look.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic