Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 12:42:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Best budget drawing tablet?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best budget drawing tablet?  (Read 1801 times)
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:09:39 AM »

What do you guys use? Would you recommend it or another one? Kind of looking for something far under $200.
Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:32:18 AM »

I'm not rich to any degree, I use the Wacom bamboo, and before that I had the Wacom graphire, and I've had to shell out for them out of my own pocket (bearing in mind I'm only 20 so that's basically a lot of pocket money). These models cost me around £40 and I've never been dissatisfied with them really, despite the small working size (A5 or so).

After about 3 or so years of service my graphire pen needed replacing or something (can't remember the issue, though I think it was that the pen nib was loose and slid out slightly). I found it hard to find a replacement pen because it had been discontinued so I decided to upgrade to the new bamboo "fun" tablet that had recently been released. This had a reversible pen (nib end and eraser end), 1024 pressure levels (compared to 512), and some buttons and a touch ring (which honestly I never use). There are multi-touch capable versions of the bamboo but mine isn't.

I hope to upgrade to the intuos line as soon as possible, and I would like to move up to the medium size working area; the higher pressure sensitivity and rotation sensitivity are also key features that I would like. The price though... (£200+)

Wacom make great quality hardware to the extent that I don't even want to try the other options (I've read a lot of mixed reviews, though not recently but my understanding is that the competition is getting better).

My advice would be if you're a hobbyist get a Wacom bamboo or a cheaper Trust pen tablet. If your a serious artist or are doing or going to be doing a university/college course that deals with digital art I would recommend going with the Wacom intuos line.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:37:29 AM »

I have Graphire4 it's good for my non-pro usage. The only drawback is the quite small actual working area.
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:46:19 AM »

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 07:43:57 AM »

How are these to draw with?

Been looking at the new bamboo pen & touch, anyone got any experience with it?
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:41:10 AM »

Not for the Wacom Bamboo anymore. The cable between the PC and the tablet ceased to connect to the tablet after a mere month. A Medion tablet is about the same price, is larger, and actually lasts.
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:56:57 AM »

Not for the Wacom Bamboo anymore. The cable between the PC and the tablet ceased to connect to the tablet after a mere month. A Medion tablet is about the same price, is larger, and actually lasts.

Where can I get one online? There are like 2 on eBay and that's it... (UK preferably)
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »

Wacom bamboo for sure. I have an a5 and a6 and I like them just as much as my intuos 5 medium.
There should be more than enough stores selling them.
ink.inc
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »

bamboo

i've had mine for 4 years now; still works fantastically
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »

Where can I get one online? There are like 2 on eBay and that's it... (UK preferably)

I take it you guys don't have Aldi stores around? They're pretty much grocery stores, but can have the occasional good thing, like that tablet.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:43:00 PM by Player ʒ » Logged
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »

I take it you guys don't have Aldi stores around?

Oh maybe... Will have a look

bamboo

i've had mine for 4 years now; still works fantastically

The new or older model?
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:58:49 PM »

How are these to draw with?

Been looking at the new bamboo pen & touch, anyone got any experience with it?
ive had the flippin gigantic one which is like 12x9 or w/e i dont remember

for like 2 years now and it works just fine. no lag, enough hotkeys to do whatever you need (you dont need any of them dont lie to yourelf)

the only downside with monoprice is that their customer service can be a bit of a butt if you need to get a replacement plastic sheet - they dont sell them in their store for some reason
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »

I got one of the 12 x 6.25 Monoprice tablets (no hotkey buttons) a few months ago, and it has served well.  I'm no connoisseur of tablets, but it works well for my purposes.

My friend got one of the 12 x 6.25 ones with the hotkey buttons, but I didn't really like them.  They had some sort of a cooldown timer, I guess?  So you couldn't use them to undo or zoom rapidly.  But I'm fine without the hotkeys; a hand hovering over the keyboard works for me.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic